Dixie Narco

rcpd34

I just got a Dixie Narco dn501e mc/s11-9 machine for home use.  I've had several older machines over the years.  This is by far the newest one I've had.  Anyone have a manual for it?  I rescued it from a property where it was going to the dump after being abandoned.  I'm told it's been sitting for years.  First unusual thing I've noticed is there is no traditional lock on the front.  What am I missing?  I'll post a pic when I can.  

You can download the E-model manual from the support tab at dixienarco.com. The lock might be either a quarter turn "star" lock or maybe an electronic lock if there's no actual T-handle but only a flat fixed plate. If it's electronic then I can send you the parts to put a normal T-handle on it.

Here are the pics of the front.  I assume this is the electronic lock.  Can someone advise how to get past it without damaging the machine so it can be replaced with a T handle lock?

Thanks!

post-10615-0-23235600-1438309681_thumb.jpg

post-10615-0-31155500-1438309691_thumb.jpg

The first thing to do is call the Pepsi bottler with the serial number and any asset number to see ic they still own it. The Pepsi electronic locks aren't supposed to be out in the wild. If they don't own it then there is a way to open it but first make sure they don't want it back.

Here are the pics of the front.  I assume this is the electronic lock.  Can someone advise how to get past it without damaging the machine so it can be replaced with a T handle lock?

Thanks!

How in the heck did the guy you bought it from open it? Are you sure he didn't just steal it?

The machine was abandoned at a pool for 2 seasons. After multiple calls to get it picked up, they paid their contractor to haul it, and another smaller generic machine, to the dump. He called me and asked if I wanted it.

That doesn't mean that Pepsi has released their ownership.  You still need to make the call to them to get an answer for yourself.  Otherwise you're just taking someone else's word for it.  This might have been a "third party" machine meaning a vending company or individual was leasing it from Pepsi.  If that's who was contacted with no response then Pepsi may have never been properly contacted.

What do you mean by that Roger?  Can this not be opened in the same way as the older style electronic locks?

AZ if you look at the T Handle there is a small slot. That is where you aim the key fob. You don't have to hunt for it anymore. Was a good improvement.. That is why I think it is a newly refurbished machine.   . 

• 2 weeks later...

*UPDATE*  I personally called Pepsi twice since my last post and asked that they either come pick up the machine or at least send a route guy around to open the machine.  I gave them my location and cell phone.  Never heard back.  Thoughts?

The only legal way to claim the machine is to check your state/local laws regarding abandoned property. You may have to write them and wait up to six months. You can't simply say it's abandoned.

Would Pepsi prosecute you if you used their machine? I doubt it. Would they pick it up if they saw it somewhere and wanted it? They definitely could!

I can't tell you what to do here, but I'm just telling you that there are laws for abandoned property and you SHOULD check them out. People treat vending machines like they're no big deal to take. If Pepsi doesn't respond within the timeframe, then you can probably claim it. However, I don't see you wanting to go to court with Pepsi if things got serious.

Good advice, but they surpassed the abandoned property criteria over a year ago.  I'll call them again tomorrow, but I doubt I will receive a response.  This just doesn't seem to be of importance to them.  Anyone willing to help me remove the electronic lock so it can be replaced with T-handle lock?

Good advice, but they surpassed the abandoned property criteria over a year ago. I'll call them again tomorrow, but I doubt I will receive a response. This just doesn't seem to be of importance to them. Anyone willing to help me remove the electronic lock so it can be replaced with T-handle lock?

You can do whatever you want with anyone's stuff but, again, you can't generally say it was abandoned. Pepsi can just say they were servicing it and you took it. Without proof that you contacted them, you lose the case.

I can send them a letter, but I doubt they'll respond.  Seems frustrating to me.  Almost sounds like I'd been better off letting it go to the dump.

Did they ever tell you that it is still their property?  If so then send them a letter with the machine particulars and give them 14 days to come and get it or it will be deemed abandoned property and you will dispose of it.  You don't have to tell them that you'll dispose of it to yourself.  You can email me for help getting it open if you end up keeping it and then I can send you the parts to make it a normal T-handle machine.  Send me an email to rbepic4gatgmaildotcom.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived