What people request VS what actually sells

HVACvend

Hello all,

Why is it that people what a brand X candy bar or bag of xyz or 123 beverage then proceed to never touch any of it? Noob question I know but I just find it weird that people want one thing then never buy it. Is this the usual for most people?

Most of the inventory that is selling, no one ever requested. Thoughts?

Hello all,

Why is it that people what a brand X candy bar or bag of xyz or 123 beverage then proceed to never touch any of it? Noob question I know but I just find it weird that people want one thing then never buy it. Is this the usual for most people?

Wait until you get a request for buttermilk. True story!   :huh:

It really depends what is requested, who requested it and what account it comes from. I take all that into consideration and make my best judgment as to if I want to bring the product on. If I feel like it just will not work (ie buttermilk) then I politely explain it to the customer why I can buy it based on case counts, expiration dates, popularity, etc. Even with that I have tried products for customers that simply did not work out and then had to explain it to them why it was pulled from inventory. Healthy items are usually the main ones that get requested on a regular bases that is the challenge.  

Hello all,

This is not uncommon at all.  Most special requests won't sell so just don't buy too much of something just because someone asked for it.  While I find it very weird that someone would go to the effort of requesting something they have no intention of buying it's apparently just an odd quirk of human nature. On a rare occasion I do get a special request that actually sells pretty good.

Sometimes you're better off to buy a few items they want from a grocery store and put it in your machine. One customer keeps asking for Pepsi max in a machine with Pepsi and diet Pepsi.

I had a customer that asked me for pretzels once. A month later, I pulled the remaining pretzels out and they requested pretzels again. They never even checked to see if they were in the machine. I cancelled the account soon after.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

I'm still learning everyday about this business and you guys and gals are quickly adding to my knowledge.

The example I have from today is a co-worker asked a few weeks ago if I could have Lipton citrus tea in the machine. He walked in today with a case of the tea to put in his mini fridge in his office. It's not like I was mad, but confused as to why he would ask for it then bring in his own supply. You live and you learn I guess.

And if anyone was wondering, I had $0.90 per bottle. Decent price in my mind.

I got asked for pork rinds. I put them in and they sold-out 3 weeks in a row then nothing. Some items you just have to have short runs on and not over order them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be sure and check your pork rinds to make sure they are still fresh. Pork rinds are notorious for going stale before the expiration date. Had the same thing happen to me before, they where selling great then all of the sudden nothing. Finally someone said they tasted bad and sure enough they tasted stale which caused people to stop buying. 

Wow RJT, it's odd that you mention this about pork rinds going stale before the expiration date.  I just had two people, at two different locations, tell me that they purchased a stale bag of pork rinds from my machines and all of the bags still had about 3 weeks to go before the expiration date was up.  :wacko:  Now I know that there is a possibility they were not just looking for something for free. 

I really appreciate all of the knowledge being shared on this site.  Thanks to everyone!

Wow RJT, it's odd that you mention this about pork rinds going stale before the expiration date.  I just had two people, at two different locations, tell me that they purchased a stale bag of pork rinds from my machines and all of the bags still had about 3 weeks to go before the expiration date was up.  :wacko:  Now I know that there is a possibility they were not just looking for something for free. 

I really appreciate all of the knowledge being shared on this site.  Thanks to everyone!

Certain snacks like pork rinds, hot fries, puff cheetos, etc just don't hold up well sometimes to things like heat which cause them to go stale. 

I would order 4 cases of pork rinds, not no more because of them going stale before the due date on bag.

Like RJT said in one specific location only they would go stale because of heat.

Unknown to me the place would turn off ac at closing time. 

cajun

Be sure and check your pork rinds to make sure they are still fresh. Pork rinds are notorious for going stale before the expiration date. Had the same thing happen to me before, they where selling great then all of the sudden nothing. Finally someone said they tasted bad and sure enough they tasted stale which caused people to stop buying. 

Does this mean that I have to taste them? Not sure if they're worth it - bleah  ;D  ;D  ;D

Archived