Royal Vendors GIII control board code "LOC"

Grimsweeper

Hi all,

I have a Royal Vendors soda machine with a GIII control board? (Red button). I have experience with navigation/price setting through the passcode but I'm hitting a wall on a machine I just purchased. Everything seems to be working fine other than the fact I can't change the prices. After I enter 4-2-3-1 and navigate to price, hit Enter, the next code it displays is "LOC". It does the same if I try to navigate to the other sub menus like Con and Con2. I called Royal and the tech said the board is shorted but was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem before. I can't find a similar issue anywhere. I've checked all the plugs and connection and the board doesn't appear to be damaged to the naked eye.

This isn't an issue I've seen much of, but I do recall coming across this issue once in the field. It was with a Royal Merlin IV.

As I remember it, this was a board issue. Browsing the service manual I see no reference to an "LOC" display, so it doesn't appear to be a typical error code.

If you need a PDF copy of the service manual for your machine, it is available for download through Royal Vendors website, at http://royalvendors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/giiimanual.pdf

I checked some of my Royal Bibles and could find no reference to this. If Royal says it's the board, it probably is. If you are not in a hurry, you could send it to COINCO for repair. They are based in St Louis, but have repair centers scattered around the country. Coinco manufactured that board and is the best qualified to fix it.

Thanks everyone. Has anyone used S Thomas in Texas? I was referred by a vendor friend of mine. They've quoted me at $91.00 for repair plus parts if I ship mine to them. Seems a bit pricey since I've seen used boards for $45.00 on eBay but there's no guarantee they're going to work.

Royal has 2 sets of software for each machine one for Coke and one for everyone else. The coke software uses 4 buttons the rest use 3 buttons. It may be you are pushing the wrong button for your software.

The symptoms sound like the machine did not take your code. It is not in the manual but I would be surprised if the password could not be edited somehow.

If you call Royal and tell them you want to do a full reset on your board. They may talk you thru it if they feel like you know what you are talking about.  It would not hurt if the non resettable counters were displaying strange numbers or never change.

I like the work S Thomas does. The last time I called and asked “ Do you repair Mars bill recyclers on site” the answers was “yes” after 14 day I called to check in the repair the answers was “all Mars recyclers must be shipped to Mars for repair”  I felt mislead this time but other times they will fix things no one else will.

Walta

Royal has 2 sets of software for each machine one for Coke and one for everyone else. The coke software uses 4 buttons the rest use 3 buttons. It may be you are pushing the wrong button for your software.

The symptoms sound like the machine did not take your code. It is not in the manual but I would be surprised if the password could not be edited somehow.

The password can be changed, however if the wrong password is entered you would just be brought back to the PASS sub-menu and required to retry.

I entered a random incorrect code just to see if I get the same result and like you said, it took may back to PASS to retry rather than displaying the LOC error. The correct code displays LOC and won't let me go into any further sub menus. I'm leaning toward buying a used board since it's a little cheaper and repairing this one as a spare.

I entered a random incorrect code just to see if I get the same result and like you said, it took may back to PASS to retry rather than displaying the LOC error. The correct code displays LOC and won't let me go into any further sub menus. I'm leaning toward buying a used board since it's a little cheaper and repairing this one as a spare.

If finances allow for it, I'd recommend you do just that. It's never a bad thing to have a spare board on hand to get the machine back to making money as quickly as possible. I've encountered board issues with Royals frequently enough.. Most commonly I've run into issues with the board sending constant 24V to a vend motor causing it to spin endlessly. I wouldn't say it's common, but it happens often enough to be prepared for.

Coinco does not repair any boards that they made.

The guy that picks them up from me wears a COINCO shirt and the invoice is from COINCO as well. They don't repair anything older than G series Coke or Merlin 3.

None of the Coinco branches will take any boards in for repair.  You must be working with a branch doing it on the side since I doubt that your Coinco guy is from St. Louis.  I wouldn't expect any Coinco site other than their main office to even consider doing this.  They are just contract manufacturers in this regard to the machine manufacturers.

Perhaps the branch sends them to St. Louis. All I know is that Vendors Repair, Changer Services, and Dieb could repair them but they would not DEX because they had no way to get data into the ID1 DEX field. Coinco is the only one that can enter this proprietary info. Also, if there is a software upgrade available they will install it for no additional charge.

I am in no way the world's largest Coinco fan but as a former Dixie Narco distributor I am a huge Royal fan as far as stack vendors go.

This is all great info guys thanks a lot. It's a macnine I don't have in service yet so I have time. I bought a used board in the housing for $85 shipping included. It has the small board that's mounted off the side included so it seems I can't go wrong.

Archived