Crane 158 Jam?

I've got a Crane 158 Snack machine that has been gradually driving me insane. The unit will work reliably for weeks, then out of the blue stop delivering products from certain selections, until I arrive when everything is fine. To date, only one of the selections has stopped working completely in that it will accept the customers money, and then not do anything when selected.

I'm not sure whether this is due to motors, boards, or something else entirely, but I am keen to fix it if I am able.

Thanks for any help on this one!

There is a direct wire kit available for those machines that gets rid of those spring-loaded plugs in the back; all of your vending problems will go away if you install it.  It's a little under $200 plus your time to install it, but if it's a good account, it might be worth it someday.

What error does the display give you when a product is selected?  "Make Another Selection", or something like that? 

21 hours ago, Vendors Tech said:

There is a direct wire kit available for those machines that gets rid of those spring-loaded plugs in the back; all of your vending problems will go away if you install it.  It's a little under $200 plus your time to install it, but if it's a good account, it might be worth it someday.

What error does the display give you when a product is selected?  "Make Another Selection", or something like that? 

No error code, just takes the cash and then doesn't do anything. I suspect LA is right, the board is sending the signals, the motors just aren't going. I'll pull the unit apart and see what can be done, though if it's to be a recurring problem, I've no qualms with installing some aftermarket fix. Thanks for the info!

4 hours ago, PerformaVending said:

No error code, just takes the cash and then doesn't do anything. I suspect LA is right, the board is sending the signals, the motors just aren't going. I'll pull the unit apart and see what can be done, though if it's to be a recurring problem, I've no qualms with installing some aftermarket fix. Thanks for the info!

So the credit goes away, but it doesn't give an error on the screen?  That doesn't sound like a tray connection problem to me.  It should give the customer a message if it isn't seeing a motor when it tries to vend it. 

In essence what it seems to be doing is sending the command to vend, but never having the command bounce back.  You driver board may be the issue if that's the case, possibly the main board.  I would do a ram clear on the main board before you start replacing parts; then reprogram the machine, and see what happens after that.  Ram clears on Nationals work miracles sometimes.  Do you know how to do it, or do you need instructions?

Archived