How do you go about hiring employees?

karen99

If your gross sales are $900 per day 5 days a week for 52 weeks that is a total of $234,000 per year. That is $195 per box per year. Or $16.25 per box per month. That is a net of about $9 profit per box per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, vendtex said:

Gross isn't related to expenses

I figure it in that way. I think it makes it better that way because it means that my numbers are even much more conservative.

I don't get bogged down in the completely irrelevant details. My business is all about mass production and very rapid expansion, that's how profit is made. It absolutely blows my mind how so many people doing this are so timid about it and/or so caught up in mundane details. Needless to say, none of them do this full time and usually wind up with no more than about 50 or so accounts and need a locator on top of that to do it! (LOL) 

6 minutes ago, vendtex said:

If your gross sales are $900 per day 5 days a week for 52 weeks that is a total of $234,000 per year. That is $195 per box per year. Or $16.25 per box per month.

Like I said, I don't get bogged down in details. The ONLY things I focus on are speed, very brief but high quality customer service and especially very rapid expansion of my business. Getting bogged down in details destroys your profit gains.

19 minutes ago, karen99 said:

Like I said, I don't get bogged down in details. The ONLY things I focus on are speed, very brief but high quality customer service and especially very rapid expansion of my business. Getting bogged down in details destroys your profit gains.

Do you have a picture of one of these boxes? 

My boxes on average gross $30/month which is almost double what it appears yours do. You have high profits due to the large number of boxes but I don't think there is anything special about your boxes per se. My expenses are higher because I pay my son to do this job so it isn't fair to compare net profit after expenses but the gross is almost twice what your boxes are making if those numbers are accurate.

I enjoy the sales process. I really admire good sales people working the craft. However in this case I think you "Karen99" are working too hard. You would have been much more successful if you just posted an ad in the classified section: "honor boxes for sale, locating services available" rather than all this drivel.

7 hours ago, vendtex said:

My boxes on average gross $30/month which is almost double what it appears yours do. You have high profits due to the large number of boxes but I don't think there is anything special about your boxes per se. My expenses are higher because I pay my son to do this job so it isn't fair to compare net profit after expenses but the gross is almost twice what your boxes are making if those numbers are accurate.

That's a completely mundane detail to me and here's why..... I consider myself like a tunnel rat during Vietnam because I literally go everywhere and try to pack in as many locations as possible into 1 area. I would absolutely bet that I have FAR MORE boxes per square mile than you do. I also rarely ever pull a box due to theft or low performance because the way I see it, if it's making a profit and not a loss then it's absolutely worth keeping it there.. So while you're making more money per each of your boxes, you're also burning up your most valuable resources which are time and space. What difference does it make whether or not each one of your boxes makes twice what mine make when you're having to spend a lot more time fighting traffic in order to get to those locations? Meanwhile you haven't utilized any of the space between those locations and that's where the real profit is.

I'm not trying to brag by saying this but simply saying it because it's very relevant to this particular subject that you brought up, I guarantee that I make a lot more money than you do per hour. That's what is important to me - how much profit I am making versus the overall time and effort spent and not a completely mundane detail like how much my boxes are making. This also might sound crazy to you at first but it makes sense if you think about it.............I MUCH prefer that my boxes be slower sellers than faster movers simply because of the fact that it gives me more of one of my most valuable resources (time) in order to establish more routes. The bottom line is that more boxes on location automatically equals more profit per hour, period. Putting energy into how much each box makes and trying to follow that as a business model automatically equals less profit per hour, period. 

Also on the note of the Pink Ribbon boxes and the Charity Vending boxes..... In my opinion, those boxes don't come close to being as good as mine. I see those boxes out in some of the areas where I am and talked to some of the people who do those boxes and they';re not doing anything close to what I'm doing profit wise. It's also not only because they are scattered so thinly apart but because in my opinion, those boxes are not designed to do what mine can do. Their boxes hold far less candy and I think they get ripped off more. That's not to say that you can't make some money with them but in my own opinion, they don't come close to being as good as mine and I guess with over 1,200 accounts and doing this full time I'm one of the largest in the country? Not that that matters because I run my own race and don't care about what others do but just saying.

Karen99,

1. It seems like you've taken any form of humanity out of a business that relies on other businesses owners good graces.  I just got a bulk machine into a location that the owner had never met the vendor in the almost 2 years he had owned the business.  He was happy to see that guy go.  It sounds like this is exactly what you are doing, in and out as fast as possible with maybe a wave as your out the door.

2. I don't see this business as an assembly line and running solo with 1200 locations sounds like that's what your business has to be like.

3. If I bought a route from a vendor there is no way i would continue to pay monthly royalties.  I bought the route, its mine and if you still want a piece of the action, you shouldn't have sold it...

4. I would love to see what your charity boxes look like, if they are that awesome you should be showing them off!

I am absolutely amazed by what I am reading on this thread.

2 minutes ago, Mehehe said:

4. I would love to see what your charity boxes look like, if they are that awesome you should be showing them off!

I've asked a few times to see it and have yet to get a response. 

23 minutes ago, musser said:

I enjoy the sales process. I really admire good sales people working the craft. However in this case I think you "Karen99" are working too hard. You would have been much more successful if you just posted an ad in the classified section: "honor boxes for sale, locating services available" rather than all this drivel.

How do you know th

2 minutes ago, Mehehe said:

Karen99,

1. It seems like you've taken any form of humanity out of a business that relies on other businesses owners good graces.  I just got a bulk machine into a location that the owner had never met the vendor in the almost 2 years he had owned the business.  He was happy to see that guy go.  It sounds like this is exactly what you are doing, in and out as fast as possible with maybe a wave as your out the door.

2. I don't see this business as an assembly line and running solo with 1200 locations sounds like that's what your business has to be like.

3. If I bought a route from a vendor there is no way i would continue to pay monthly royalties.  I bought the route, its mine and if you still want a piece of the action, you shouldn't have sold it...

LOL, I guess some people always find a way to complain about something. This is America, we live in a Capitalist society and this person who runs a for-profit business is angry at me for running my for-profit business. Good luck to you Mehehe. I think if you spent a lot more of your time being focused on your own business instead of being angry at others for running theirs, you would be doing a lot better than only 2 bulk locations, 3 honor snack box location and 1 full line vending locations. 

Just FYI for everyone else to know, the VAST majority of locations where I have accounts actually love what I'm doing. I see business owners all the time and they always tell me that. 

Please don't keep trying to talk to me Mehehe, I'm just going to ignore you the same way I'm ignoring the musser fellow.

13 minutes ago, QuikVend said:

I've asked a few times to see it and have yet to get a response. 

Sorry QuikVend but I'm not going to do that. I think the Pink Ribbon people made a huge mistake by blasting that information out all over the internet as a great way to make a lot of money for the vendor. I believe it's lead to a huge increased number of kick-outs and higher theft rates for the vendor and it is my focus to protect the vendors of my program as much as possible. 

1 minute ago, karen99 said:

LOL, I guess some people always find a way to complain about something. This is America, we live in a Capitalist society and this person who runs a for-profit business is angry at me for running my for-profit business. Good luck to you Mehehe. I think if you spent a lot more of your time being focused on your own business instead of being angry at others for running theirs, you would be doing a lot better than only 2 bulk locations, 3 honor snack box location and 1 full line vending locations. 

Thanks for the words of encouragement!  I am not sure where in my post I sounded angry, upset or was even complaining, but it was not intended that way at all. It is impressive that you have built 1200 locations in a year and a half as you stated earlier.  i was merely commenting on previous comments you have made in this thread. 

Also, Why did you post this same question in 3 different sections of the website? It just seems to complicate having a coherent conversation.

O and I just started my business with a 60+ hour a week job so I'm ok with where I stand on number of locations.

Thanks for your concern! 

So, you have a product to sell you will not show, a business process in which you "guestimate" product inventory and cash in per location, do not pull slow locations because "that's where the profit is", "make more profit than anyone in the business" but offer no proof, have provided no verifiable endorsements, offered no credible references like BBB or most importantly a DUNS number.

You are selling Honor Boxes. You will sell them on location. You are willing to set up these routes anywhere someone will pay you to do so. You will take any location you can get.

I think I know who you are !!!! LOl.

Again, while this is a most entertaining thread your results would have been much better if you had just placed an d in the classified section.

1 minute ago, vendtex said:

How much do you spend on candy per month?

Again, I don't get bogged down in mundane details, it doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. That's an issue that my book keeper takes care of. 

I do know that I'm making (very conservatively) $500 a day because I match that back up with the total number of candy bags it takes to refill each box back to its predetermined weight. Now whatever 6 to 8 hours per day divided by $500 is what I make per hour but remember that I also have routes that make a lot more than this too. 

My ENTIRE point is that I DO NOT waste my time with completely irrelevant, mundane details because doing so is absolutely anal retentive and kills profit. I will also go so far as to eliminate information that does not serve me in my business. 

I believe Malcom Gladwell wrote a book on this subject that I read a few years ago (if I'm not mistaken it's called "21 Flavors") and its served me extremely well.

Lol, I make a whole lot more than $500 a da and that's 365 days a year. That is why I know that Cost of Goods Sold is not a "mundane completely irrelevant detail that kills profit". Incredible.

Malcom Gladwell, hmmm, PT Barnum also had some business observations.

I've received a lot of ridiculous comments by some people that I personally feel are totally incompetent in this profession who I believe know next to nothing about this business. The thing to ask yourself is what do they have to show for themselves? Are they doing this full-time themselves? How many accounts do they have and especially can they even do their own locating?

I think that setting this up where I actually pay someone a salary to run a route while purchasing the candy for them and giving them an option to buy the route (at a very fair price) is LITERALLY putting my money where my mouth is. How could this possibly be some type of set-up or scam if I'm willing to do that? I am literally saying to the vendor "Check this out totally for yourself while I even pay you to check this out totally for yourself. If at any point you decide that you like what you see then you can buy it outright." How many times have you ever been offered any kind of deal like that before?

For anyone whose interested, my first attempt at this was at candysellingexplosion.com I advertised this on vendingconnection.com for several weeks and did not even receive a single inquiry. 

11 minutes ago, karen99 said:

For anyone whose interested, my first attempt at this was at candysellingexplosion.com I advertised this on vendingconnection.com for several weeks and did not even receive a single inquiry. 

Which shows there is confusion on what it is you actually want from an employee!  Details such as how much you will pay them, how much time needs to be invested and a clear understanding of expectations.  I have read all the posts in your 3 threads across this forum and I still don't understand what you actually are asking/selling/wanting here...

Dismiss me for a stupid newbie if you want but I don't have a clue what you are here to accomplish except to brag about having 1200 locations!

20 minutes ago, karen99 said:

Soooo, why on earth did you not just post this information to begin with???

7 minutes ago, Mehehe said:

Which shows there is confusion on what it is you actually want from an employee!  Details such as how much you will pay them, how much time needs to be invested and a clear understanding of expectations.  I have read all the posts in your 3 threads across this forum and I still don't understand what you actually are asking/selling/wanting here...

Dismiss me for a stupid newbie if you want but I don't have a clue what you are here to accomplish except to brag about having 1200 locations!

I'm not bragging about having 1,200 locations! I'm not in this to compare myself to others because I don't like competition. The only person I ever compete against is myself, but I am very competitive with myself all the time because I believe in constant self improvement. I'm trying to use the fact that I have over 1,200 locations as proof to you guys that I know what the hell I'm talking about. 

I mentioned the website candysellingexplosion.com because as I said before, that was my first attempt to do this, it didn't work and I'm trying to figure out other ways to do this. If you go back and look at all of my posts you'll see that I'm simply trying to come up with better ideas 

54 minutes ago, karen99 said:

Again, I don't get bogged down in mundane details, it doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned. That's an issue that my book keeper takes care of. 

I do know that I'm making (very conservatively) $500 a day because I match that back up with the total number of candy bags it takes to refill each box back to its predetermined weight. Now whatever 6 to 8 hours per day divided by $500 is what I make per hour but remember that I also have routes that make a lot more than this too. 

My ENTIRE point is that I DO NOT waste my time with completely irrelevant, mundane details because doing so is absolutely anal retentive and kills profit. I will also go so far as to eliminate information that does not serve me in my business. 

I believe Malcom Gladwell wrote a book on this subject that I read a few years ago (if I'm not mistaken it's called "21 Flavors") and its served me extremely well.

Without knowing the details, it is difficult to verify your statements.  You claim your boxes are less prone to theft than the Candy for Cause yet offer no way for us to verify that.  

It's great that you are successful, but I think it is extremely likely based on what little numbers you have provided that you could be making just as much money with 600 boxes and save yourself a lot of time.  

6 minutes ago, musser said:

Soooo, why on earth did you not just post this information to begin with???

As I just mentioned in my post right before this one, that was my first idea which did not work. All I'm doing is trying to figure out better ways to do this. It took Thomas 10,000 times before he finally invented the light bulb so I don't feel bad about trying the first time and it not working.

3 minutes ago, karen99 said:

I mentioned the website candysellingexplosion.com because as I said before, that was my first attempt to do this, it didn't work and I'm trying to figure out other ways to do this. If you go back and look at all of my posts you'll see that I'm simply trying to come up with better ideas 

Well for starters, you were proposing to charge about $4 more per box than Candy for Cause and your royalty fee is twice what there's is.

Archived