How do you go about hiring employees?

karen99

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the toughest part in vending imo. I pay hourly rate because then they will work more as trained and clean the equipment. Salary they want to get done as fast as possible and get paid the same, goes with commission as well, but if you contract them with a commission, and follow the other laws, you can also hire them as a contractor and not pay taxes, BUT, be sure you follow up the legalities with this. 

Me personally, I broke my own golden rule and hired family. 

3 hours ago, rodney69 said:

That's the toughest part in vending imo. I pay hourly rate because then they will work more as trained and clean the equipment. Salary they want to get done as fast as possible and get paid the same, goes with commission as well, but if you contract them with a commission, and follow the other laws, you can also hire them as a contractor and not pay taxes, BUT, be sure you follow up the legalities with this. 

Me personally, I broke my own golden rule and hired family. 

Rodney, I actually posted this originally in the honor box section but saw that it wasn't getting any response so I figured I would post it in here because honor box and bulk candy are very similar minus the critical theft factor with honor boxes.

I have over 1,200 charity honor box accounts and I'm wanting to vastly expand this across the country into a system that will take care of itself for the most part without running me ragged. The only way I can think of doing this is by doing what Candy For A Cause (Pink Ribbon) has done with Susan G Kohman organization where Candy For A Cause gets a percentage per each box and Susan G Kohman gets a percentage per each box. I've actually already got an agreement set up with a non-profit to do the same thing but I found out pretty quickly that the general public automatically throws up red flags to work-at-home businesses. The bottom line is that people do not want to have to pay money in order to work to make money, it comes across as a scam to them.

Therefore I believe that I need to PAY people a certain amount money at first to pick up candy at Sam's Club (that my company would order online), fill the boxes at their homes, run the route and swap out the full for the empty boxes, then count and deposit the money that would then be wire transferred over to my companies account. I might then explain to these people that if they did this religiously for say, 6 months, that the business (the route they were running) would be theirs at that point and they would only have to pay the small royalty fee they would have on each box. This would give the individual operator the ability to see totally that this is for real and that it's absolutely not a scam.

What are your thoughts? And do you have any idea how Candy For A Cause has done as well as they've done without having to do all of this? The Pink Ribbon box is all over the country and that doesn't make any sense to me. 

The pink ribbon box is sold and you pay a royalty. If I'm correct,  80% of the money is for office expenses,  either way,  what you're describing and what you're wanting to do are 2 completely different things.  

They don't lease routes or anything like that.  They sell a product and breast cancer benefit from.  Not specifically sgk either.  Its to a couple different ones. 

All you can do is set up a route and get a contract signed, either pay hourly,  charge so much a month per box,  or so much for a mint. 

Honor boxes are hard to have bigger areas because not many people today are honorable. 

This is just my opinion

22 hours ago, musser said:

You start out asking how to hire people. You end up saying that you intend to sell routes. Two very different things. And IMO pretty suspicious. 

I assure you musser, this is 100% legal and VERY legitimate. I've had everything I've tested with this worked out with an attorney BEFORE I tested it out on the market.  Thus far, what I've tried hasn't worked because people automatically throw up red flags to any type of work-at-home business where they have to pay money up front. The bottom line is people do not want to pay money to make money, even if it is something that is VERY LEGITIMATE. Every person on this forum that does charity vending knows it is VERY LEGITIMATE. Because of the fact that people throw up such huge red flags to work-at-home "business opportunities" I'm trying to find a way to get around that by giving people a chance to see for themselves that charity vending is a very lucrative business while at the same time raising the incentive as much as possible for the vendor and making it risk-free for them. I assure you that everything that I do with ALL of this will ALWAYS be not only 100% legal but at the greatest possible incentive for the vendor.

I really don't appreciate your judging this (and judging me) when you know nothing about what's going on here. You should also know that when you say things that you know nothing about, it can start bordering on libel which can get you sued. If you want to talk with me then please back off from making accusations, otherwise don't talk with me at all, I won't waste my time with you.

1 hour ago, vendtex said:

How long did it take to get to 1200 locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to brag vendtex but you asked me the question...I've been told I'm one of the best in the country at this and I did it in a couple months.

Karen,

I've read through all of these posts and responses. I can't see a way for you to make this work as a part of your business with employees. You did mention selling routes, which is a much better possibility, but I think there is another way. If you really have accumulated 1200 locations in a few months like you said, then it's pretty obvious you have a skill for it. Why not just be a locator for the boxes? You remove all of the worry over theft (which is obviously a big issue for you due to mentioning escrow/lawyers/golfing credit cards/etc.)

Just an idea I had when reading over the posts. 

2 hours ago, karen99 said:

I'm not trying to brag vendtex but you asked me the question...I've been told I'm one of the best in the country at this and I did it in a couple months.

That's like 20-30 new locations per day depending on how many days a week you are working. Pretty impressive. Did you locate in person or over the phone? The logistics of a route that size are formidable and based on your comments above you are running this yourself. How are you handling redeployment of kick outs and pulls due to theft all while running a route this size? 

The point is: you start out talking about how to hire employees. You end up talking about selling the routes. Sort of like "work to own". Your objective it seems is to find people that buy routes. The employee thing is simply an avenue to get that done. I am not judging I am questioning. Judging and questioning are different just as hiring and selling are different. And BTW sue away. Pm me and I will send you our Corporate Attorneys information. It appears to me you have made a direct threat. I caution you against further threats, 

1 hour ago, QuikVend said:

Karen,

I've read through all of these posts and responses. I can't see a way for you to make this work as a part of your business with employees. You did mention selling routes, which is a much better possibility, but I think there is another way. If you really have accumulated 1200 locations in a few months like you said, then it's pretty obvious you have a skill for it. Why not just be a locator for the boxes? You remove all of the worry over theft (which is obviously a big issue for you due to mentioning escrow/lawyers/golfing credit cards/etc.)

Just an idea I had when reading over the posts. 

QuikVend,

That's actually quite a novel idea that I haven't considered. Are you saying to use my own boxes in relation to contracting myself out as a locator? If so, don't you think though that most people would want me to use their boxes instead of my own?

1 hour ago, karen99 said:

QuikVend,

That's actually quite a novel idea that I haven't considered. Are you saying to use my own boxes in relation to contracting myself out as a locator? If so, don't you think though that most people would want me to use their boxes instead of my own?

If you currently are servicing 1200 boxes yourself, would the additional labor of locating really be cost effective?  It would seem you would be better off using your time to service your boxes than to try to locate for someone else in a city hundreds of miles away.  

Like musser, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do.  I am guessing that you are just trying to find a way to expand and make more money.  But as you realize the less of this that you do yourself and the more you need to rely on others, the greater the risks of a diminished return or profit compared to what you are currently generating.  It seems to me that you would like to replicate what candy for cause is doing perhaps with a different charity.   I guess you'd have to trademark your own boxes in some way if that is the case, but given that candy for cause has literally blanketed the country on craigslist, it would seem difficult to compete with them and also the risk is that many markets would be saturated.  

Good luck with your endeavors.  I personally have seen too much theft in our area to be fully vested into the mint boxes so have been mainly focused on expanding our bulk sites.  The attraction to them is the relatively lower manpower for servicing relative to the honor boxes.  But having said that there are beneficial aspects to each of them, but here, at least, the fickle nature has seemed to be more of an issue with the boxes than the bulk machines.

2 minutes ago, vendtex said:

If you currently are servicing 1200 boxes yourself, would the additional labor of locating really be cost effective?  It would seem you would be better off using your time to service your boxes than to try to locate for someone else in a city hundreds of miles away.  

Like musser, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do.  I am guessing that you are just trying to find a way to expand and make more money.  But as you realize the less of this that you do yourself and the more you need to rely on others, the greater the risks of a diminished return or profit compared to what you are currently generating.  It seems to me that you would like to replicate what candy for cause is doing perhaps with a different charity.   I guess you'd have to trademark your own boxes in some way if that is the case, but given that candy for cause has literally blanket the country on craigslist, it would seem difficult to compete with them and also the risk is that many markets would be saturated.  

Good luck with your endeavors.  I personally have seen too much theft in our area to be fully vested into the mint boxes so have been mainly focused on expanding our bulk sites.  The attraction to them is the relatively lower manpower for servicing relative to the honor boxes.  But having said that there are beneficial aspects to each of them, but here, at least, the fickle nature has seemed to be more of an issue with the boxes than the bulk machines.

Vendtex,

Could you please do me a HUGE favor and simply copy and paste a link to one of the Candy For A Cause ads on Craigslist?

5 minutes ago, vendtex said:

Here you go 4b2b6e38a11c00c37ac4a527f9f90327.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Vendtex but could you please just post the URL link? I'd like to be able to see where that came from in Craigslist. 

3 minutes ago, vendtex said:

just search vending on craigslist

Sorry but I did type in vending and I looked in a few different cities but did not find it. Isn't there any way you could post the URL? It would be much appreciated.

If you want to see where the link comes from, why not just type in the website they listed?  Sounds to my you're looking for advertisement?  This is quite entertaining. 

I get that you have 1200 boxes out, you could service 60 a day, spread them out and so on, make up more routes, BUT, I doubt very seriously that you are serious about any of the things you're asking. 

You act like you don't know what's going on, but you have that many locations? Come on. 

Archived