My candy machine was infested with bugs

MidWestern Vending

Something really strange occurred on my route today. One of my U turn candy machines has been in location for a few years and I've had great results. Today I went to refill and there were moths and various bugs inside the machine. Never have had this happen before. Could it be the insanely hot weather? Needless to say it was disgusting. 

Furthermore, I'm surprised this location did not call me about this. It was very visible. So I decided to just take the machine out. Would you the contact the manager back and tell her that you took the machine or would you ask to put in another machine? Right now I'm a little perplexed and unsure with what I should do. I would at least like to show my gratitude and be courteous for all the time my machine was there. But then she might think that it was my fault for the bugs.. So it's a tough one.

9 hours ago, parrotthead said:

I would bring another machine to put in there. I alway carry a couple of machines with me when I run my route, you never know what might pop up. ... Did you have some sort of nut in there?

Yes there are nuts but there were insects that got into the other candies as well. So not sure the same thing wouldn't happen again. 

7 minutes ago, rebbenyamin said:

I'd check your nut supply and make sure they're clean. Could be you got a bad shipment.

As far as the candies go, cross infestation is a very real possibility.

Hope you find a solution.

I wonder if it's also something to do with the location. It was 110 degrees recently. Also once a place has moths, it has moths for a while. So I'm not sure if I should place another machine there.

If it is a good location put another machine in asap. Don't put any nut products in and you will be fine. I am guessing your machine was infested by Indian mealmoth and their larvae. They are a mess to deal with. Once nut products get old (and/or in hot moist environments) this will happen frequently. Just another reason not to carry nuts. If you sell Peanut M&Ms make sure you keep them fresh to avoid this problem. If it is a hot location I wouldn't sell them or limit it to a quarter canister. You will need to thoroughly dissemble and clean the affected machine before using it again. If you are worried about ants use Vaseline on the post underneath the machine. I have some great locations that are filthy and hot as a furnace. I just go with pressed candies or with items like Skittles in smaller quantities with no problems. 

yup mm peanut, my feeling has always been if that happens they are not moving fast enough to get them anyway.

you have to strip that machine down, they get their tiny brown eggs which turn into the pupa in the tiniest nooks and cranny's

Originally,  the eggs/larve or whatever was in the nuts. Now , the building is infested . Those moths flew around here and there & laid their eggs all over . A brand new machine with new product will sadly become infested very soon. I'd try product that dont appeal to the moths for awhile. I had the same thing happen years ago . I didnt know better , brought the machine home, dumped the nuts , hosed out the machine temporary until i had time to disassemble it like 2 weeks later. My workshop is in the basement of my house and i had those moths flying around sporatically for over 2 years. Unless your willing to pay an exterminator to treat the location , the moths arent going anywhere soon no matter what you do. 

21 hours ago, TWvend said:

Originally,  the eggs/larve or whatever was in the nuts. Now , the building is infested . Those moths flew around here and there & laid their eggs all over . A brand new machine with new product will sadly become infested very soon. I'd try product that dont appeal to the moths for awhile. I had the same thing happen years ago . I didnt know better , brought the machine home, dumped the nuts , hosed out the machine temporary until i had time to disassemble it like 2 weeks later. My workshop is in the basement of my house and i had those moths flying around sporatically for over 2 years. Unless your willing to pay an exterminator to treat the location , the moths arent going anywhere soon no matter what you do. 

Ouch! I do beekeeping and let me tell you, the only thing worse than an infestation in your equipment, is an infestation accidentally spread by yours truly. I feel your pain.

32 minutes ago, PerformaVending said:

I think of all the bugs, moths have to be right up there with roaches... and just as hard to get rid of! Sorry to hear they got to you. :wacko:

I just got an odd image I my head... a gum ball machine vending 1" moth balls.

One of those bad ideas right from the start I suppose.

• 3 months later...

Archived