Need Help Installing DN Column Motor

fhamann

I must be retarded.

I wanted to swap two Dixie Narco motors to trouble shoot a problem.  I pulled the two motors out but when I mount them back in the machine, the can carriers turn 1/2 turn clockwise, then 1/2 turn counter clockwise.  What did I do wrong?  Here are pictures of the motors.  It must be something to do with the motor shaft extension arm.  Please help.  I just spent 2 hours trying different things.

thanks,
Frank

59c70a20cc108_DNMortorfront.thumb.jpg.52485103bb7b655a07411cb68f3906c5.jpg

Orange,CA59c70a32a72c5_dnmotorback.thumb.jpg.7563ac2c3b0c3022e08fc07629bda21e.jpg

DN Mortor front.jpg

Fortunately for me, I have had very few DN motors that needed to be replaced.  Unfortunately for you, that means I can't remember if I had this problem.  The first and only thing that comes to mind is that I THINK (if I recall properly) that the orientation of the rotor (can carrier as you call it) needs to be right for everything to line up properly.  So.. if you haven't already, try turning the rotor upside down or some other orientation that allows it to line up.  I also think I had a problem where a plastic piece was missing on my rotor causing an issue somewhat like yours... perhaps you are missing that plastic gasket or whatever it is called.  It should look broken, but it's supposed to be that way.

Thanks Chris,

It does have the gasket.  I tried over and over to change the rotor to different positions, but it kept doing the same thing, 1/2 turn CW, 1/2 turn CCW.

I guess I just have to keep trying.  I wish there was a trick to get it right.

I vaguely remember having to move the arm and the rotor a certain way but it was one time and several years ago.  It was as if the arm had to be moved a certain way.  Try turning the motor by applying the brake lever maybe... sorry if it doesn't help.

The motor is for a wide column and when you remove one the oscillator bar will almost always flip upside down.  You want to make sure that before you install the motor that you flip the oscillator bar so that the round bar is on the top and the wide bar is on the bottom.  Then you engage the arm from the motor to the front of the bar and allow the bar to rotate a bit as you position the motor over the screw holes.

Thank AZ,

You did it again!  You solved my problem.  You are a treasure of information.  I fixed the problem with your help.  What confused me is that the design of this wide column is for it to oscillate back and forth and not rotate in one direction.

regards,

Frank

Archived