how to convert Rowe 548 to take credit cards and larger bills

avvending

There are two ways.  One way is to buy a kit that converts the pulse to MDB.  The kit is $180 at capital vending and the reader, validator, and mech will cost you maybe $600 combined.  The other method is to replace the machine.  I don't think there are any other options unless that particular machine has a cold-food board that interfaces with a retrofitted board, which would cost more.

You're going to drop money nearing $1,000 to make this all work.. and i don't know if that model is worth investing into or not.  It's obviously cheaper than a new food machine but it may be worth getting a refurbished food machine instead.

If you want to go above $5 bills then like Chris said, you'll need an aftermarket logic board.  I can send you one if you email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom.  If you decide to stay with 1s and 5s only then you can upgrade the bill validator to a MEI with a conversion harness which I also have.

I just realized that you are working on a Rowe 548, not a 5900 like I was thinking you referred to.  There is no reliable way to do credit cards on a 548.  We have tried it on many machines for customers and found only 1 that actually worked.  The issue is in how the 548 generates it's 24v power which is not reliable nor clean enough to run the card reader.  The other issue is that any coin mech with more than 3 tubes requires a larger coin mech nest which you can't get any longer.  The 3 tube nest is not quite wide enough for any other mech to fit.  The only validator that will fit is a MEI VN2500 due to the tight space.  

What you're trying to do is nearly impossible and not really worth the trouble on a machine this old.  Stronger men than you have failed miserably.  Do yourself a favor and get a National 432 if you require a turret-style machine.

I agree with AZ in the fact that you are putting $2500 worth of rims on a $600 car. With all of the micromarkets displacing vending machines there is a glut of cold food equipment. Rowe has been out of the food vending business for almost 20 years now.

Archived