F and 1 buttons not working on my AP6600

VAVending

So I've been going over my machines with a fine tooth comb and have encountered a roadblock.

The F and 1 buttons on my 6600 are completely unresponsive. Also, the 3 button wasn't working at first and is now.

I'm assuming I need to replace wiring, but on the off chance that my inexperience is causing me to miss something obvious, I figured I'd enquire here before I start pulling things (gently) apart.

12 minutes ago, cvending said:

When you try to check price using the "F & 1" button , will they work then?

No they will not. They're completely unresponsive. That's why I was thinking wiring, rather than motor.

10 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

Disconnect and reconnect the keypad harnesses, one at a time and very carefully.  The wires are easily bent.  There should be two ribbon cables that look the same just above the validator.  Those are it.

Tried that, no difference.

The harnesses are pretty beat up. And it looks like they're both missing a white wire. Not sure if that's supposed to be that way.

Here they are:

IMG_1104.JPG

Well, now random other buttons are not working. Do you think I should try cleaning out the harnesses somehow? Maybe a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol?

Buttons are now randomly working or not working every time I touch the harnesses.

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a used one. This part is eliminated during an In-One upgrade so I otherwise throw them away. It's also possible your keypad has failed since that one is likely 30 years old. 

42 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

Try the board side too.

Well I'll be. That did the trick. No telling how long it'll last, but I'm not touching those wires again. I had to unplug them and re plug the board side twice for it to work.

Thank you, this means I won't spend my weekend irked by it. :D

Archived