Powder Coating

QuikVend

I've read a little bit around the forums and the internet concerning powder coating. With all the machines I have that need refurbished(from light to heavy), I'd really like to find something that looks good and is durable. I've found that using a spray can head dune neither of those so far. Not to mention all the times I have to sand/spray/wait. Anyone have any experience or info on powder coating? Looks life I could get everything I need to get started for under $300.

I looked a lot into powder coating, there's some on this site that have done it, and also varying opinions on it. From what I remember you need to have good prep, which would be like sand blasting, and to sandblast you need a good sized compressor with proper cfm, I have a good air compressor, but I don't think it'd have the cfm to handle the sand blasting. There are also various mediums for sandblasting which have pros and cons.

Then you need the powder coat equipment to paint the machines, and you need an oven dedicated to powder coating because it can be toxic if around your food. 

That's as far as I got in my travels because, unlike you, my machine quantity didn't justify it. It's much easier for me (and less time consuming) to hire a guy to sandblast and powder coat my machines. I've had it done to my oaks and they looks amazing. It was costly, but I probably will die before it has to be done again. 

Yeah, for you, and an operation that big, it might actually be cheaper to do it yourself. I really don't remember offhand, and I know I had to pay cash, so i'd have to look for a receipt, but I think it was something like 40 for sand blasting and 20 for powder coating. And that was just body's and hoppers, I didn't have any lids that were that bad, and he was able to color match. It adds up for a lot of machines to have it done. I think the biggest cost to do it yourself is the compressor and sandblast cabinet, which I couldn't justify. I've tried aircraft stripper to chemically remove the paint, but something about the original powder coat made it a big mess for me. 

Yea, I have a compressor already. The oven I was figuring on picking up for cheap on Craigslist. Wasn't sure about the prep work. Harbor freight has the blasting tables for cheap. Definitely not interested in stripping them. Too much of a mess. 

It's cheaper to find a company that sandblasts and paints rather than go through all that work and cost to come out with

less results. The best results you will get are with professional companies that do this.

I've had quite a few powder coated.  I bargained on the price allowing my guy to get to them in between his big jobs. Sandblasted and powder coated $30 each. If you have space for all the machinery its actually pretty easy. A 5 hp 80 gallon compressor is what you need.  Should be able to get one for about $1500 or maybe less new.  Be sure you put screws or bolts in any holes or you will damage the threads with the sandblasting.  NW will also need new Mylar. 

I just have them powdered as I need them, so it's not as big of an impact.  I'll send 10-20, then when I pick them up I drop more off. After those are out on route I did the same thing over again. 

Archived