Comparing older food models

AngryChris

I'm just looking for some general info here. If national food machine model numbers are similar to other lines, a 430 is of the 145 generation, 431 of the 147 generation, and 432 of the 157 generation.  I don't know which rowe models compare to which national models but i am guessing a 432 is national only.

When i compare food machines, which i have avoided completely so far, i notice 431's and 432's (and some other turrets) hold huge resale value and i don't see why.  I have seen 432's for $5k.  It just seems too high.  431's for well over $4k.  A new AMS food/bottle is $4300'ish.  A new Alpine is somewhere in the realm of $7k.  It just seems pretty cut-and-dry to choose a brand new AMS for the money, but i do see older food models cheap on craigslist.  I recently saw a 431 for $500.  Is a 432, or any other older model turret, really that good? Or is it just a matter of refurbishers charging a lot?  I have had other vendors swear by turrets due to versatility among a few other things but i don't buy it...  a FIFO glassfront seems superior to me.

I started out with 430's until I needed to add a card reader. Then picked up 2 sweet 431's for $1500. 

Both 431's have issues with the card reader. When using cash they work great. Card reader and you have to try opening the door trice to get it to release. I just got the latest eprom from D&S. Hopefully that will fix it. 

Personally I would rather have a frozen food machine than a cold food machine. 

The 432 is the last turret machine made and is a very attractive machine with curved doors and sparkling clear shelf dividers.  It has the latest MDB and DEX software.  The 431 was the first cold food made that could be MDB but it will probably lack DEX reporting as Allen says.  The 430 was micromech only as it came out in the early 90's and was deemed obsolete when the 431 came out, especially it's cooling system and logic board.  The Rowe machines are micromech only and the 548/648/748 would be the only versions to buy, but few parts are available.  The 548 model was the reason AP bought Rowe before Rowe then disappeared.  The 748 was AP's version but came just as their frozen 320 machine became popular.  Kind of a stupid investment on their part.  These machines hold no value today while the National machine do.

Around here (southern ontario) 432s are still holding a 3500-4500 value. I habe 430s 431s and 432. Obviously the 432 is much more attractive. The 431 looks similar and operates similar to the 430 but is mdb. 

On another note - A large account is requiring a food machine. However I have a royal 650 and a national 167 that we literally had to take the doors off and cut hinges to barely and I mean barely squeak into the upstairs lunchroom.

I just bought a GPL slim food model 427 I believe. I know it's an older machine. Are parts still circulating for this old boy? As the machine is only 29inches wide it's the only one we could use. Any feedback on this model?

National sold those in recent years so you may find that they still have a few parts for them.  Or you can find a used one for parts.  If yours is an earlier version then there may be few new parts now.

Archived