Selecting my first locks

VAVending

So I'm getting ready to purchase my first 5 locks.

At this point I'm staring at the lsidepot shopping cart and wondering if it's worth the $105 extra to go with the 5 Medecos over the 5 Cobras.

I know a lot of you who have been in the business say you wish you'd gone with higher security from the start. Could anyone elucidate on this? Is it peace of mind, or are there actually less break-ins?

I guess I'm looking to be convinced. Right now the price tag is just bothering the heck out of me.

Well.. they ARE very good locks.  The majority of us that started with generic locks wish we had started with high secueity from the beginning, but many vendors get to less than 10 machines and get out or never grow.  People like that don't need them.  For what they are, you will do well to get them.

Well, with my other work being rather intensive I'm almost planning for slow growth. But I don't see myself giving up.

My thought is, at only $7 a piece for the cobras, it won't kill me to replace them in the future. I'm just itching to put the finishing touches on these machines and get them out there.

At the same time, a lock you only have to buy once has its attraction... and all it would take is one foiled vandal to make up the initial cost...

I personally like the medecos.  I had breakins both with common keys and tubular lock picks prior to making the switch, no problems like that since.  Be aware that with medeco, you will always have to go back to your original dealer for additional locks or key copies, as medeco codes cannot be transferred between dealers.  And be sure to order extra keys up front so you don't get locked out waiting for replacement keys to arrive...

49 minutes ago, Southeast Treats said:

I personally like the medecos.  I had breakins both with common keys and tubular lock picks prior to making the switch, no problems like that since.  Be aware that with medeco, you will always have to go back to your original dealer for additional locks or key copies, as medeco codes cannot be transferred between dealers.  And be sure to order extra keys up front so you don't get locked out waiting for replacement keys to arrive...

Any recommended dealers?

I think Moondog recommended Lsi in an old thread, so that's why I was looking into them.

I bought dozen of lock from this guy on ebay 

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/20-Abloy-pop-out-plug-locks-for-vending-machine-T-L-handles-includes-5-keys-/182802773181?hash=item2a8fe4f4bd%3Ag%3A6L0AAOSwwM9Z0kKp&_trkparms=pageci%3Aeea9bfc4-b3a4-11e7-be5c-74dbd180511d%7Cparentrq%3A2d210d9d15f0aa415d88eb0afff9ad82%7Ciid%3A2

You have 20 abloy locks for 10$ each.Cant get better than that.Tubular locks or cobra locks as you said can be picked easily with the right tool.They can be also drilled and they will come apart like butter.I have mostly abloy and medeco on my machines.BUT for most of my locations it is not necessary at all..they are secure and safe locations.But I like fancy locks..I also bought a lot of locks from Baton Lock USA

http://www.batonlockusa.com/batonusa/main.html

Good to know.

Is there any difference in security between deadbolt and spring bolt? It seems to me that a deadbolt would have a bit more longevity. Less moving parts is almost always better in my book.

Thoughts?

Deadbolt means the key is needed to lock the machine.That way you are sure to not leave a unlocked machine behind...I think they are more resistant to drilling too.But again depending of your locations it may not be necessary at all.I have a few locations..I could use duct tape to keep the door closed.For the rest of them it is really unlikely a employee will get a tubular lock pick,practice for hours and then open my machines.For public locations though,like hotels,appartments buildings,machines outside it is a must to have high security locks

Archived