Bill Validator setup

From my understanding, it's just a different form of communication.  I guess the manufacturers couldn't decide on long pulses, short pulses, serial, 24v, 110v, etc... so validator manufacturers decided to make the validators capable of doing long, short, and serial so that you only had to match the voltage.  MDB took over as the uniform method of communication and simplified that.

Beyond that, i don'tknow much.  I just know that when pulses are sent, it either tells the board the value of the currency or it powers a vend relay on a single price machine.  I guess the pulses are timed and spaced like code. So a nickel might be one pulse, dime two pulses, and quarter maybe a two longer pulses, etc..  i'm just guessing for amusement.  It's really only important on older machines as newer mdb devices don't even have the option because newer machines just need mdb.

Good thing your guesses are for amusement, Chris.  Long and short pulse interfaces are in bill acceptors, not coin mechs.  The pulses are dependent on how the machine or coin mech can interpret the dollar credit pulse from any given bill validator.  This is primarily dependent on the coin mech's capabilities or the type of harness you're using between the mech and validator or machine and validator.  A simple single connection will be different from a more complex dual connection.  This is most noticeable in Mars validators where you can connect the validator with just the 9 pin white connector in some cases or with the 9 pin and 18 pin black communication connector in others.  

The short pulse length is 30ms and the long pulse is 50ms.  Those pulse "widths" are determined by the components on the validator circuit board and in the coin mech or machine logic board and they must always match or the credit is not passed along.  Because so many devices or components can be connected in various ways is the reason that there is such a variety of harnesses out there.  MDB solved this with a single communication protocol for all manufactures to follow and you can see how it has simplified everything.  

Archived