Dixie Narco 501E weird noise

Hello All,

Got a call this morning saying power box explosion at a location causing power surge in location.  Got there to  verify machine was running ok and noticed it was plugged directly into wall!  Plugged in machine and it started making a weird electrical noise and no compressor kicking on.  My initial thoughts and current thoughts are that the capacitor is fried and the weird noise is capacitor attempting to engage the compressor.  Guys am I on the right path and should replace the capacitor or is the cooling deck fried?  Any thoughts are appreciated.

I had a location that had a transformer blow up outside and send in a power surge that ruined 3 machines that were on high grade surge protectors.  I was old that the location even had 3 phase motors smoking afterwards.  (The surge protector company paid us for all the repairs)

The surge fried CC modems, control boards and displays, but did no damage to the compressor decks.  

Try unplugging the deck from the machine and see if it'll vend.  If so your problem is isolated to the compressor deck, if not you have have multiple areas that either need to be addressed or replace the machine.

The first thing you need to do is explain what the weird noise sounded like.  Motors buzz, validators can make weird noises and of course control boards can make buzzing sounds when they are broken too.  Bad fans can make a weird noise, a compressor that is going bad can make a very loud pinging buzz for a while.  A bad compressor will result in a simple click every 10-20 seconds.

Also, there's nothing wrong with having the machine plugged directly into the outlet.  Maybe you are upset if they removed it but having them plugged directly into the outlet is common practice.

I is a buzz coming from the compressor area.  I could very well be the fan sorta buzzy sound.  I have to go back tomorrow to get a better look and unplug compressor deck.  I have a spare sitting around shop but really hate having to replace on location. I will update 

If the compressor clicks on and off without starting or buzzes on and off without starting then you have a bad compressor.  The rotor current is too high and the motor can't start.  Toast.  Piece of cake to replace on location, no hating of it needed.

Archived