allegiant120

How many no answers do you get vs yes

Im just starting trying to place a few honor boxes im recieving a lot of no answers. Out of asking 20 I probably have 4 yes. What approach tips could you recommend? Thanks

What type of honor box are you placing?  Lollipop/mint boxes or Honor Snack trays?  I have been doing Honor Snacks for about 25 years and I can tell you that 1 in 5 placed is about average.  You are not going to walk into 10 businesses and place 10 snack trays.  You will need to hit 40-50 businesses to get 10 snack trays placed.  That is something that I "Hammer" into my sales reps heads when I hire them.  It's a numbers game, and the more accounts you call on, the better your odds of placing a box.

Just be pleasant, always greet the customer with a smile, and introduce your service to them.  Be honest, but be brief.  Keep your presentation simple.  Don't go into long, drawn out explanations on how the honor system works.  "We place the box at no charge to you.  All we ask is that you put your $1 (or $1.25, whatever your price is) in the coin box for each item that you take."  Quick and simple.  :)

4 out of 20 is not bad at all.  I have found that  to be about my average.  Sometimes I will get 7 or 8 no's in a row.  Then there are times I will get 6 or 7 yes's in a row.  All depends on where you are.  Flint is right, it's a numbers game.  I don't look at getting turned down as a negative, I take as getting to mark off a location off my bucket list and just move on to the next one.  And as Flint will also tell you, keep a mental note because you may go back in 6-9 months to those same locations and turn some of those no's into yes's.

I agree totally with these guys. Listen to what they say, they do this really,really well.

Every day is different for me honestly. Some days it’s 7/10, some days it’s 1/10. I’d say my current average is 5/10 though.

For some tips on what to say, I reposted Flint’s, Bryan's and my placement scripts/tips here: 

Be sure to check that out. A key thing that Bryan mentioned is not to let the “no” get you down. A good salesman takes a no as his que to turn around and try somewhere else, better.

Lots of people won’t want your service, and that’s fine. You’re out searching for those special few who’ve been waiting for you to walk in the door, even if they don’t know it.

Don’t give up, let your successes fuel you and read Bryan’s weekly updates; they are a wonderful source of motivation. This is an amazing bussiness if you stick with it.

Would this change for Candy boxes vs Snack boxes?  Im considering Candy boxes and have a goal of 7/10.  Is that unrealistic? 

I’m afraid I have no experience with candy boxes, but if you’re doing it from the charity angle I’d think your numbers would be higher than us honor snack box vendors. Just a guess though.

I’d say avoid setting any goal but 10/10. Every location I walk into is “my next placement”. If you think of a location as filler until you get to the next good one, then you’ll treat it as filler, and won’t get the placement.

At the end of the day you can look back and figure out what you’re successes and failures actually we’re, but don’t start the day with those numbers in mind. Sometimes you won’t get a single placement, and sometimes you’ll wish you’d brought twice as many boxes.

I’d say ratio is more a matter of idle curiosity than actual import. You should always be working on your placement script anyway so that won’t affect it.

Just my 2¢.

15 hours ago, VendingKingllc said:

Would this change for Candy boxes vs Snack boxes?  Im considering Candy boxes and have a goal of 7/10.  Is that unrealistic? 

I've been in Honor Snacks for my entire vending career, so I don't have much knowledge on the Charity Lollipop/Mint boxes.  I do know that you will target different accounts.  Where we want small offices, industrial, and stores and want our boxes in the breakrooms,  YOU are going to want to target more public spaces, such as restaurants, store counter tops, and such.  I'm not sure what you mean by 7/10.  Are you saying, placing 7 out of 10 boxes that you go out with?  If so, that is such a subjective target.  There are too many variables, including time, the number of accounts visited, and effort.  You could go out for 3 hours and place 7 and think "well I placed 7 out of 10."  Or you can stay out until all 10 are placed.  Some days it seems like you can't give your boxes away, and some days the customers are grabbing them out your hands before you even get to the door.  Persistence is the key.  You will run into plenty of NO's, but it's shaking them off and finding the YES's.  When I'm talking  about 1 out of 5, I am referring to placing 1 box for every 5 accounts called on (that's an average).  You might call on 40 businesses and place 8 boxes (1 out of 5), or call on 40 businesses and place only 5 boxes (1 out of 8).  Just keep going though!  Starting out, you should be selling everyday.  As you build your route, divide your time into route days and selling days (though you should always be selling, even on route days).  Best of luck to you!  :)