Royal Vendors Giii Help...

tismael56

Hello all, was wondering if I could get help to diagnose the problem on my machine. The machine does not turn the compressor on even after leaving the door closed for 30 minutes. The compressor runs if i plug it into the wall and if plugged into the junction box, it only runs once i test the compressor relay. The coils turn cold but i am only able to turn the compressor on by those two means. The thermostat is showing a temperature of 88 but the temp starts dropping as test the relay and close the door as much as I can without depressing the door switch. Any ideas? All responses greatly appreciated👍

You probably have a bad door switch.  When you open the door the machine goes into the service mode which is when you perform the relay test.  When you close the door the machine should go back into the vend mode, meaning that if you are in the service mode, closing the door will change to the vend mode displaying  .00 or the price of all the drinks if they are priced the same.  If this doesn't happen then the door switch isn't working.

First trace the switch wires to the logic board to ensure they are plugged in and if they are then replace the door switch.

Thanks for the response AZ, the door switch seems to be working however because when I open the door , I press the service mode button and it sends me to service mode. However, depressing the door switch exits out of service mode and shows the greeting and the temp inside. Clicking any selection shows the price of the selection.

Then the tests you have done prove that everything is working correctly, including the refrigeration relay and the line to it from the logic board.  You should next check your temp settings in the programming mode FrIG.  Those are the cut in and cut out temps which should be something like cut in of 42 and cut out of 36.

In the FrIG setting, the cut in temp is 41 and cutout is 29 and the frg setting is set at 1. Im going to try bypassing the door switch and see if the compressor kicks in. Im running out of ideas. The only other thing I can think if is that the thermostat is not sending the relay the signal when it is above the cut in temp. One other thing is I keep getting an error that reads COLD and even after clearing it shows up.

Edited by tismael56
Adding info

The Giii does not have a thermostat... royal used a temperature sensor that interacts with the control board which turns the compressor on and off.  The sensors have a tendency to go bad so many people replace them with traditional thermostats... good chance that is the problem.

23 hours ago, AZVendor said:

If you don't have a mechanical thermostat on it now then just replace the temp sensor.  Do you really need the pain of wiring it in and trying to mount it?

Exactly! Call Royal at 1-800-931-9214 and purchase the OEM sensor. You'll get 10 to 15 years of life at least from it without risking frozen drinks on a jury rigged mechanical thermostat.