USI 3189 drink machine stopped cooling

drpleasure

Hello again. I have a 10 selection USI 3189 that stopped cooling. I installed a piercing bullet valve and charged it about a year ago and was working fine. Was hoping it just needed another charge but it would not take the Freon. Smelled something last week but could not tell if it was coming from the machine or the shop where it is placed...did not smell electrical. Evaporator fan working...hear some clicks from the compressor as though it is trying to start but does not seem to...is the compressor toast or is there something else for me to look at/for? Any help is appreciated.

You say the evaporator fan is working... so you mean the fan inside the cabinet where it's supposed to be cold?  If so, that doesn't help matters right now.  It's possible that your condenser fan burnt up or something around the compressor burnt/melted as the compressor overheated.  In my experience, clicking is bad and it means the compressor is either completely locked up or it's pulling more amps than the current starter can handle.  When it comes to clicking, I think your options are to either add a more powerful starter (don't ask me how) or replace the deck.  Clicking is never a good thing.

I wouldn't replace the deck, it's a quick fix, check your power, and install a 3 in 1, I recently had the same problem, compressor was recently redone, like new, but 3 months in it shorted out took it to get it looked at, didn't see anything wrong, plugged it in, ran for a few min seems to be getting cold, pipes are turning white, but 5 min in, a click and then back to warm, the capacitor blew out, changed it, now it's back to normal. Check the capacitor, make sure it's for power and not burnt.

On an older cooling unit that clicks on without starting you can try putting a hardstart kit on it but that will just be a stopgap measure before you have to put a new compressor on it.  The risk of a hardstart kit is that sometimes that can cause a compressor to burn out by being helped to run when it should be replaced.  If the compressor burns out you will have a much more expensive repair because the refuse from the burnout is pushed through all the freon lines and the evaporator.

You say you added freon last year.  What gas did you add to it?  If it was R12 you have contaminated your freon because that unit runs on 134a.  The two freons aren't used in the same compressors due to the types of oil in R12 vs. 134a compressors.  If you added R12 to it then the compressor now needs to be replaced and the entire system must be flushed to get as much of the contaminated oil out of it before putting a new compressor on.  You don't want to contaminate the new compressor too.

Hello...it was 134a...thanks for the info. I will pursue what has been suggested to the best of my ability (which mechanically is limited). Anyone out there in SW Michigan to do a repair for me? Are the suggestions above (e.g., installing a 3 in 1, etc. something that can be done on location or would I need to pull the machine? Thanks again!

They can be installed on location.  It's best to pull the unit out half way from the front to access the start relay and capacitor which the hard start kit replaces.  You need to know though, that there is a ground wire attached to the compressor base which will prevent you from pulling the unit out.  You have to get to the rear of the machine to remove the wire.  It's a ground wire so it must be reinstalled after the unit is recounted.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, AngryChris said:

Hello...Refrigeration tech said compressor is toast. He is trying to find one locally with same specs but having some trouble so far. Original made by some obscure company in Singapore (?). Called Wittern/Vendnet and was informed the compressor is obsolete. Tech there said compressor could be sent in for repair but my guy said he did not understand how as it is a sealed unit. Any idea where I can find one? Machine is CB500, model 3189, Serial number 117034204320. Thanks!

He should only need a basic 1/3 horse compressor so all he has to do is get the freon ports close to what he needs.  He may not be an experienced tech or you don't have a good refrigeration supply house near you if he can't find one. They are plentiful here in Phoenix.  He can also plug the model of your compressor into a cross reference tool and come up with a replacement.