cooling deck tripping breaker

AngryChris

I have a bevmax 4 that is tripping the breaker.  After about 30-60 seconds of the machine booting up, the compressor appears to start up and makes a sound that I can best describe as buzzing, followed by a split second of flickering from the lighting in the machine, and then it trips the breaker.  When I unplug the deck, it stays on.  My guess is that the hard start kit is broken.  Honestly, I don't understand the component(s) so I can't really diagnose it.

Does it sound like a hard start kit problem or a compressor issue?  The buzzing reminds me of a transformer buzzing and lasts for probably 2 seconds if that.

This happened after the building suffered a power outage for a while.  I am assuming this is power-surge related.

If the compressor has the original start components, it's an inexpensive fix to replace them. You'll want the relay, overload protector, and start capacitor. Should be listed in the parts manual.

• Like 1

I took it to a local vending repair shop and they tested it with a volt meter and told me it was shorted internally.  It's all over my head but the big problem is that I don't even think I can buy a brand new deck for my bev2 (electronically a bev-4) so I had to exchange it.  I'm not happy about it but at least it's running.

Oh, and one of the plugs was slightly burnt up as though it had been torched off.  Word has it this place was surging constantly for hours and hours and that their generator never kicked on because the power was never off long enough to kick them on.  The power (from the main line) just went on, off, on, off, on, off, all night.  I guess that can really mess things up!

File a claim with the utility company for the damage.  The business itself probably has had to do that for their own equipment damaged by the surging.  This would have damaged any number of tools, computers, appliances, etc.