Refrigeration arcing/burning

AngryChris

I got a call and it seems the back of a USI 3500 is arcing and you can smell burning.  I can't get it out at the moment so I turned it off.  The compressor runs for about 3 seconds and you hear the arc, then shuts off for maybe 10.  Does it sound like a bad starting component?  Bad compressor? Both?  I've never had one make the arcing sound before

1 hour ago, AZVendor said:

The start relays on USI Danfoss units are crap so that is probably what failed. The 3 in 1 should take care of it. I have put many of them on USI compressors.  Have fun with the wiring.

The local distributor pretty much said the same thing. Thanks

12 hours ago, AZVendor said:

It is a hard start kit that replaces the original start relay and start capacitor on a compressor.  Supco makes them.  It used to be all models started with RCO but now those only go up to 1/4 or 1/3 HP compressors.  They now have an "Ulitmate Series" and the one to get for a heavy 1/3 to 1/2 HP compressor is URCO210.  An older soda machine is a generally a 1/3HP or a heavy 1/3HP and newer soda machines are 1/4HP.  Cold food and Bevmaxes use 1/2 to 3/4HP compressors.

and with so many different compressors out there, how to know which one to use?