Spreadsheet

You're micromanaging one machine.  This will work until you get a few machines out and then the data entry will kill you.  You need to record sales by category, not item level.  This is the kind of thing a data recorder will do for you easily but requires equipment and subscriptions. Don't worry, everyone tries to micromanage and reinvent vending but then they all relax into the simplistic methods of record keeping.

Yeah, I use vendsoft.  I just have to put in all of the data but because of all of the data entry I do, and because of the prekitting I am able to do because of the data, I am able to stock machines pretty quick.  I don't know where everyone else is at, but I have 15+ years experience as a route driver (with over 11 of those years working for myself as my own route driver) and I can collect $300 out of two machines in about 30-45 minutes.  That includes all of the data entry I do in front of the machines as well.

In vending, and most other industries, I don't think it's necessary or even worth your time to try to reinvent the wheel.  It's a much better use of your time to just find out how to offer a better service than the competition.  That's super easy right now because large companies usually struggle to find enough staff, including vending companies.  Plus, a lot of drivers just don't care about their work.  Just promise to listen to their requests and that should be enough to get your foot in some doors.

7 hours ago, AngryChris said:

Yeah, I use vendsoft.  I just have to put in all of the data but because of all of the data entry I do, and because of the prekitting I am able to do because of the data, I am able to stock machines pretty quick.  I don't know where everyone else is at, but I have 15+ years experience as a route driver (with over 11 of those years working for myself as my own route driver) and I can collect $300 out of two machines in about 30-45 minutes.  That includes all of the data entry I do in front of the machines as well.

In vending, and most other industries, I don't think it's necessary or even worth your time to try to reinvent the wheel.  It's a much better use of your time to just find out how to offer a better service than the competition.  That's super easy right now because large companies usually struggle to find enough staff, including vending companies.  Plus, a lot of drivers just don't care about their work.  Just promise to listen to their requests and that should be enough to get your foot in some doors.

Ok. Yea my gf was really pushing the spreadsheet idea to track everything (She's an accountant). I was just going with the flow, when low just go to sams with cash out of the machine lol. Good news through they are building the first Bj's warehouse in Columbus atm so ill have another option to buy from since costco really doesn't carry pastries. I also agree that it is too much data entry, even with 1 machine. 

You can make a planogram.  Take a blank piece of paper and sketch a rectangle to represent the machine selections.  Then put a plastic cover over it and you can use an erasable marker.  This way, you can record what your count that's in the machine.  You can also take pictures too.  It's just a couple really simple ways to track sales from a few machines.  Beyond that, you should consider vending software because it's really not that expensive if your locations are good moving forward.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/9/2022 at 12:02 AM, AngryChris said:

Ever tried VendingOps? I'm curious as to how it compares. 

Uhhh, this post it from over two years ago, betting the OP’s 1 machine didn’t do so hot and he’s given up months ago…. Prob could ask his accountant (girlfriend), if they’re still together. As she seemed to be the one who did all the books.

just like lots of guys in this industry lately, have high hopes, high ambitions, and realize that it’s not as “passive” as they hoped and they give up. Normal.

On 6/24/2024 at 8:24 AM, Hangry Vendors said:

Ever tried VendingOps? I'm curious as to how it compares. 

I have never heard of it.