Crane National 148 DBA problem

Bruce Z

My Dba stopped working on the Crane 148. Same thing on new dba so it's not the dba. A tech told me to redo machine configuration to get machine to recognize dba. Get all the way to 3 choices for type of Dba. Was told to select one, but when I hit enter,  all it does is scroll through the choices. Got to be something simple, but I can't figure it out.

First, tell us what you mean when you say it stopped working.  Is it flashing?  Is it trying to take bills?  Is it not trying to take bills at all?  Does it appear to have no power?  What exactly is happening?

Well you don't want executive if it's listed. You want pulse I believe.  You also have to make sure the dip switches are the same on the new validator as the old one and it's the same voltage as the last validator.  Hopefully, you didn't put a coinco BA in there because they can often be garbage.

You may have a validator harness coming directly from the board or you may have a conversion harness.  It's unlikely that the harness failed but the monetary board can and do fail.  It's the smaller board that is behind the main board if I recall correctly.  I would tell you to scrap a 147 but a 148 can still be a decent machine if it's in good shape because it has a narrower footprint than a lot of other 4-wides.  For that reason, if I had ANY validator issues that I couldn't fix simply by checking harnesses and replacing the validator or the coin mech, and if the location was good and the machine was in good shape, I would put an inone kit on the machine and call it a day.  If you can find a monetary board for a 148, that may or may not be the solution but I wouldn't drop a penny into the old board myself because an InOne board should solve virtually all of your problems unless the harness and "new" validator is bad... but at least you could rule out any of the boards being the problem at that point and you would be CC-ready and you could install MDB mech and validators as well.

OK. A lot of info. The validator was working perfectly until I changed a couple of dip switches (1,2, and 6). All indications of power to dba are out. This should narrow it down to your suggestion of monetary board, but I'm still stuck on the next step after display of "no validator, or pulse or executive. Pressing enter only scrolls through the same choices.

Thanks. 

I've done that and no change. I'm not going back for a week. I'll go through it again and take photos and video. I must have changed over 100 DBA'S over the years and never experienced anything like this.

29 minutes ago, Bruce Z said:

I've done that and no change. I'm not going back for a week. I'll go through it again and take photos and video. I must have changed over 100 DBA'S over the years and never experienced anything like this.

I think I experienced something similar when the board was messed up and I had to perform a ram clear.  I don't know if that's your problem or not, but it could be.

I'm unaware of that being a possibility.  The power harness going to the validator could be bad or loose, or any other harnessing could be at fault.  A bad main board or monetary board could be at fault but I'd bet on the monetary board first.  If you accidentally put a 24v validator in, you likely fried the board on the validator.  I only had a few instances like you describe and I believe it was the monetary board.

If this is a good location, put a newer snack machine if you can or upgrade with an inone kit.  Those 147/148s are obsolete as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Its very important to set the dip switches on MEI/MARS pulse validators to 7=ON and 8=OFF to enable short pulse for InOne controllers (the biggest issue I see from callers).  Ensure "Bill Val=Pulse in the "Options" menu, make sure "Coin Lev Mem" is turned ON if using a dumbmech like TRC-6000 and then go into "Fill/Dispense" mode and prime the board by inserting 5 of each coin type.  Turn machine off and back on.  Validator should have solid light.  Call InOne for support in front of the machine if you still have issues

• Thanks 1

Arnie, are you retired to Arizona now from InOne?  Info is needed my man.  Two posts from someone in Arizona who's been in vending since 1976, and I don't know you, means you must explain yourself. 😉  Not that I know everyone in vending in Arizona (thank God that I don't) but I would know you, I would think..

Edited by AZVendor

AZVendor, perhaps I know you if you've ever called inOne for sales or support,  I still work full-time for InOne Technology despite moving to Arizona in 2019. We ran a family vending business in Baltimore, Md for 30 years, so that's where my vending experience came from, not here in Arizona.  I'm doing my best to monitor any questions relating to InOne boards.  I'm going to post some information on our USI kits to help clear the air on some things I've read here.  Hopefully, it helps you guys out still running businesses. More to come!

On 7/25/2022 at 5:07 PM, Bruce Z said:

Here's a question --- would an incorrect setting for the coin mech affect the DBA'S lack of power?

Since your trouble started when you changed the dip switch settings, I'd go back to that process.  I would also clarify "no power". 

IF the DBV does not cycle (run the transport and stacker motors on power up), I would be looking at the power harness. I've seen a lot of those plugged in and bent a pin on the DBV causing lack of connection.  If that's not the case, follow that line until you locate a blown fuse or open connection. 

If the DBV does cycle but not "enable", there should be a trouble code.  2 flashes will be "disabled from mech" - anything else will be an error code.