someone sticking an honor box on top of your machine…

jay22

how would you feel if you walked in and saw this at one of your locations? it looked tacky and i don’t like someone balancing their cardboard box on top of my machine i paid a few hundred for… they’re likely taking sales away from me with their 50 cent lollipops. also the way it’s balancing on the 2 head, it could fall and customers would be less likely to use my machine thinking they may knock the box over. i let it slide one cycle and left it there. this time i moved it to a different spot. if it’s there next time i kindve want to mention it to a manager but i am always so careful to make zero waves at a location out’ve fear that anything someone takes the wrong way could get me kicked out. 

48 minutes ago, jay22 said:

how would you feel if you walked in and saw this at one of your locations? it looked tacky and i don’t like someone balancing their cardboard box on top of my machine i paid a few hundred for… they’re likely taking sales away from me with their 50 cent lollipops. also the way it’s balancing on the 2 head, it could fall and customers would be less likely to use my machine thinking they may knock the box over. i let it slide one cycle and left it there. this time i moved it to a different spot. if it’s there next time i kindve want to mention it to a manager but i am always so careful to make zero waves at a location out’ve fear that anything someone takes the wrong way could get me kicked out. 

I've run into that situation several times over the years and feel the same way you do. If you are seeing a decline in your sales then I would politely ask if you could move it. Everyone I have asked to do so had no issue with moving it. Now if the location is strong, even with the box sitting on it, then I just leave it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nope.  Honor boxes work where vending machines aren't viable, as long as you are prepared for the 25% shrinkage.  But that's why the price should be 1.25 or 1.50 and some cheaper products are put in like crackers and nuts to help pad the bottom line. There are a couple of long time vets here though they haven't posted in quite a while.  I imagine that Covid killed their businesses as they did struggle through it and after it.

On 5/9/2023 at 11:18 PM, AZVendor said:

Nope.  Honor boxes work where vending machines aren't viable, as long as you are prepared for the 25% shrinkage.  But that's why the price should be 1.25 or 1.50 and some cheaper products are put in like crackers and nuts to help pad the bottom line. There are a couple of long time vets here though they haven't posted in quite a while.  I imagine that Covid killed their businesses as they did struggle through it and after it.

From my past experience with honor boxes, I would imagine that covid did cause many operators to just throw in the towel.  A big portion of my past sales were from small offices.  I'm even getting rid of my downtown vending locations because they can't get enough people back into the office.  There's actually an opportunity for honor boxes at various locations now because vending isn't viable there but the problem is that cash usage has dropped to a crazy low amount now, especially at offices.