Coin acceptor for Dixie Narco 414

Hi all 

I’m new to vending.  Got this machine as a loss leader for my self serve car wash.  Looking for a recommendation on a coin acceptor and bill validator compatible with the Dixie Narco 414.  Ideally the coin acceptor could take tokens also.  I added a few photos of the existing equipment.  The cradle motors turn if I activate the micro switches attached to the motors.  It doesn’t vend or seem to register any credits.  Thanks and appreciate the help!

IMG_4779.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

IMG_4767.jpeg

IMG_4766.jpeg

IMG_4764.jpeg

That is a heavy boat anchor.  Since it has 10 product rotors you can expect 1 or more to be bent after all these years.  That's been my experience with them. That's easy to check for.  Run the motors by hand while looking down into the columns and see if all rotors have a straight edge in reference to the side wall as they turn upright to catch a pair of cans.

On 3/23/2024 at 11:19 AM, AZVendor said:

That is a heavy boat anchor.  Since it has 10 product rotors you can expect 1 or more to be bent after all these years.  That's been my experience with them. That's easy to check for.  Run the motors by hand while looking down into the columns and see if all rotors have a straight edge in reference to the side wall as they turn upright to catch a pair of cans.

Curious if the bearing surfaces should be greased?

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo I bought the mars  6800 coin acceptor and the mars bill validator.  And I bought some wire harness adapters to connect the coin acceptor to the bill validator, which I thought would be simple/obvious.  A couple of the plugs are, but some are not. 

I can't figure out how to actually connect the vending machine to these.   The big jones plug is clear, buuut there's a flat molex 4 pin rectangular plug from the machine that doesn't match anything from either Mars device or the adapters. 

There's a 12 pin mini plug on one of the adapters.  I can't tell if that goes into some vacant slots on the bill acceptor (there's no latch or other orientation feature to make me feel certain it goes in the vacant slot) or somewhere else. 

Is there a simple answer here, or schematics, fabrication and meters/testing.  

The original coin gear was a Maka acceptor and bill validator.  That had only a jones plug and a 4 pin flat molex plug as output to the machine.   The mars gear has the jones plug, but other plugs that don't match anything, even with the adapters.  So I'm lost... 

Much appreciate any help here!  Thanks!

12 pin harness plug 2.jpg

12pin harness plug.jpg

mystery mars.jpg

mystery molex.jpg

You have way too many things plugged in there with no context.  It appears you may have mixed Coinco and Mars connections.  Coil up the grey harness and lay it out with the two connector ends visible, nothing connected.  Then do the same for any other harness you have.  You may or may not have everything you need.

Posted (edited)

Here’s a few other shots.  I circled the mystery plugs.  

The blue circle is on the old set up that connects to the machine.  

The red circle is on the new harness that connects to the new mars set up.  

The green circle is on the new mars set up but I don’t see matching plugs anywhere for those plugs. 

I’ll get another few shots with the harness alone. IMG_4821.jpeg.8d9f09dd487e770f226aac8c72df86f0.jpegIMG_4820.jpeg.00ada6efe473e7ca6ebc55b4a753c5e5.jpegIMG_4819.jpeg.825bc566038b932160b9e9a822d3c2e3.jpeg

IMG_4822.jpeg

Edited by detbjr
Wrong photo

This bottom photo is what you want except that you need to plug the black circled connector into the bottom pins on the bill acceptor.  Be careful as it's keyed and you don't want to bend any pins.  Don't worry about the extra plugs on top of the coin mech, you won't use any of them and you don't need to connect the green ground wire but you can without issue.

Edited by AZVendor

Thanks for responding.  But there’s a matching plug in the machine that is a flat molex style that does mate with anything in the new set up (bottom photo).   The coinco plugged into that plug (circled blue on top picture).  Does that flat plug on the machine not plug into a mars setup?

Just remove that T-blocker as you won't use it now.  The coin mech will be the only thing plugged into the machine since you are using all Mars stuff.  The switch setting on the bill acceptor will be High Level/Long Pulse I believe but test a bill before you mount it to see if the machine vends and pays correct change.  If it does then you can mount it.  If it doesn't then set the switches to Short Pulse and test it again.

Not sure what you mean by T-blocker.  I think what you’re telling me is the mars coin accepter and bill validator get all their power through the jones plug. And the circuit to vend also runs through that jones plug via the relay?

The extra plug in your machine socket is what is called a T-Blocker and it needs to be removed because it won't be needed since you're running all Mars now.  The Jones plug is the 8 pin plug on the single price mech that plugs into the machine.

Posted (edited)

Thanks - really appreciate the help!!  😀  I’ll report back when I get it hooked up in the machine 

Edited by detbjr
Typo

Sooo I got chance to hook it up.  Coin acceptor works and machine vends, except number 1 and 10 motors, if the vend button is pushed and held down, the motor doesn’t stop.  It’s like the credit doesn’t clear.  If I push vend buttons  2 - 9, the motor cycles normally and stops. Credit clears.

second issue is that I get a 2 flash led error on the bill validator.  I’ve checked harnesses and seems tight.  Do I have a bad validator?

Did you try the two switch settings on the bill acceptor?  Also, turn on Dollar coin acceptance in the coin mech.  That might help too.  Your motors need new cluster switches or the connectors have not captured all terminals from each switch, or the motor brakes are gummed up and slow to react.

So I swapped another bill validator from my car wash changer.  It’s a slightly different model 2601 - takes 5’s and ‘20’s.   The machine worked fine (other than slots 1 and 10 due to the bad motor/ switch issue.)  

So I think my 2501 validator is bad.  Are there standard items that go bad on the board?

24 minutes ago, detbjr said:

So I swapped another bill validator from my car wash changer.  It’s a slightly different model 2601 - takes 5’s and ‘20’s.   The machine worked fine (other than slots 1 and 10 due to the bad motor/ switch issue.)  

So I think my 2501 validator is bad.  Are there standard items that go bad on the board?

On the bill acceptor?  I don't know.  Most of us don't work on them if there are board issues.  We just send them to get repaired.

Keep in mind that the VN2600 is for amusements and will not stop taking bills if the machine is in a state when it should not take bills, such as when it's sold out, so you need a VN2500 in it.

2 flashes means the DBV is dead led. This usually comes from low coin inventory. I didn’t read where you’ve added enough coins to accept bills. Is there at least 2 inches of coins in each tube? 

So guys looks like the solution was having the correct dip switch settings on the bill validator.  I took a picture of the correct settings. It was the last one in the series that I think did the trick. Credit Line “on”.  IMG_4883.jpeg.3a1547b5826904eb82d3649d1f342e45.jpeg