Fixing thermostat on AP LCM4 combo machine

Hi all,

Can anyone give me an estimate of how much it may cost to fix a broken thermostat on the Automatic Products AP LCM4 vending machine?
The vending machine dispenses sodas that are too cold.

I am new to this business and this machine is included in a location that I am going to buy. The current owner was transparent about the issue and he also mentioned that he is not willing to fix it. I would like to know how much it may cost so that I can negotiate a better price.

Thank you!

• Claridge changed the title to Fixing thermostat on AP LCM4 combo machine

Thank you for your quick answer! They did not try adjusting the thermostat, because they are selling that route and the machine was not generating much sales anyway so they did not call the maintenance person.

The machine in not brand new, not sure if it was properly cleaned and maintained. I noticed from the images that it is positioned very close to the wall, which I guess is not good.

If the cold control part is $45, that is not too bad.

I hope this is not an issue with the compressor, which would be more expensive to fix.

Temperature adjustment is done with a small screwdriver through a hole in the front of the box. That machine is over 20 years old

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Claridge said:

hope this is not an issue with the compressor, which would be more expensive to fix.

Failing compressors don't make product too cold.  This is either a thermostat setting, the probe is in the wrong place or the thermostat is going bad.  You are correct about needing to allow space behind the unit.   Condensing units need to breathe.

• Thanks 1

Keep the vent screen under the cabinet clean and the machine away from the wall.  To replace the thermostat you'll have to pull the front vend door off and try to squeeze a hand inside to place the capillary tube into the fins of the evaporator.  If the cans aren't freezing then the thermostat is probably good and just set too high.  Turn it all the way counterclockwise so the compressor turns off.  That will be zero.  Then turn it all the way clockwise to where it stops turning.  From that, figure out where 3 1/2 is and that's where to leave it set at.  3 1/2 is standard for all thermostats except for USI which is 2.

Edited by AZVendor
  • Thanks 1