Quick question about Dixie Narco 276E/501E and 16.9oz bottles. Which shims to use?

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question I wanted to throw over here so I knew the answer. I don't have any dixie narco machines as of now, but I want to be ready if I ever do. So if  I wanted to vend 16.9 oz bottles out of a 276E or 501E, what would I have to change with the machine. Programming wise, and mechanical wise. Would 12 oz can, or 20 oz bottle shims be better for 16.9 oz bottles. Is there another dedicated shim for them? I really have no idea. Ive never dealt with shims before, so this would be a first.

You can use a can shim but the vend test says a bottle shim so you would have to test it yourself.  Follow the rest of the report as shown.  The shims and rods are predicated on the package diameter.  16.9 oz bottles are the diameter of a 12 oz can but that doesn't mean a can shim will work every time on every column.

Edited by AZVendor

17 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

You can use a can shim but the vend test says a bottle shim so you would have to test it yourself.  Follow the rest of the report as shown.  The shims and rods are predicated on the package diameter.  16.9 oz bottles are the diameter of a 12 oz can but that doesn't mean a can shim will work every time on every column.

Makes sense, thanks AZ. The machine I am buying is set up for 20oz bottles already, so I figure its cheaper to just buy spring rods than spring rods and new shims. Works out better for me this way

25 minutes ago, Vendo Mike said:

I have to ask...why not just sell 20 oz product and save yourself the trouble.  If price is the issue, just set your price so that you still achieve the desired margin.  16.9's aren't likely to sell better or faster than 20's.  Just requires more work and cost on your part. 

For a small timer or someone just starting out 20oz can be a pain to source, especially if you don’t have a cash and carry that carries 20 oz nearby. Commercial address requirements, minimum orders, and can’t just pop into a grocery store to get more either.

1 hour ago, orsd said:

For a small timer or someone just starting out 20oz can be a pain to source, especially if you don’t have a cash and carry that carries 20 oz nearby. Commercial address requirements, minimum orders, and can’t just pop into a grocery store to get more either.

Yea, I am only in my first year of this business and only have 3 locations with a drink and snack machine at each. The 16.9oz bottles are easier to source, have higher/similar margins, and are cheaper than 20oz. Also I don't want to deal with minimum orders and a coke or pepsi account, etc.. One day, but not today...

2 minutes ago, CoastVending said:

Yea, I am only in my first year of this business and only have 3 locations with a drink and snack machine at each. The 16.9oz bottles are easier to source, have higher/similar margins, and are cheaper than 20oz. Also I don't want to deal with minimum orders and a coke or pepsi account, etc.. One day, but not today...

Im also still in high school while doing this, so I try to be as flexible as possible, like being able to just go to walmart or sams and get the 16.9oz bottles I need, as oppose to having orders from a distributer come in. I could probably make it work, but would it really be that beneficial, or would it just be another cog in the system.... I think keeping it simple for now is best.

Edited by CoastVending