Homemade Rack

will.vend

When you say 2x4 foot print do you mean 2' wide and 4' tall? But either way it looks good, nice job.

well you got me to thinking, it's approximately 2 ft wide, 2 ft deep and 3 ft tall, so it's about 4 foot square, the shelves are a little bit lower than a standard rack to keep it from being top heavy. I am putting it out today and will post exact measurements tonight. Also, I have less than $2.00 in cost, the mellamine board was behind lowe's in scrap pile.

You are great Will. I love hearing about things like that. "Found it behind Lowe's in a scrap pile." You improved the economy by creating an asset, and you improved the world by reducing waste. We need more people like you.  ;D

You said your shelves were lower than most racks, but I kinda think that's a good thing.  Lower to the ground so that the smaller kiddies can get a good looks at the goods.  My home-build racks and stands are only 15" high.  I've been thinking of going down to 12in.

You said your shelves were lower than most racks, but I kinda think that's a good thing.  Lower to the ground so that the smaller kiddies can get a good looks at the goods.  My home-build racks and stands are only 15" high.  I've been thinking of going down to 12in.

Yes. I like the way it sits lower too.

It gives the kids a better view AND provides more stability (lower center of gravity).

Nice job!

Looks good, ready to go if it is going to be on carpet. But if it will be located on a tile floor, it would be nice if you can put some adjustable (screw in) feet on it. This will both help to keep it stable and extend it's life by helping to prevent water damage when the floor is mopped. That pressed wood soaks up water like a sponge sometimes.

Jerry

thanks for all the comments! ;D I like the idea of screw in adjustable feet too, funny you mention that because I thought of it earlier today, I put the wooden  rack out at a mexican grocery/restaurant store, it fit perfect in the 4 ft square spot.

I stopped at a grocery store cold calling before I set up the mex store and the owner liked the 5 way rack but thought it would be too wide so I took him to the van and showed him my homemade one and he loved it! ;D so I hafta make another one this weekend, that makes 3 new racks this week and I missed 2 days with a pinched nerve in my lower back.  :'(