NinnJinn's Vending Adventure

NinnJinn

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a crazy thought this evening.  Does/would coke move a 3rd party machine from one location to another, then place the monster machine where the coke machine was previously?

The reason I ask is, I found out that the owner of the gym has cancer and is going through Chemo etc.  So what I was thinking is, Since I installed security cameras at my busier of the two current locations, put the Monster machine there and move the current coke machine to another location if I can find one? The Monster machine has my top 4 selling Carbonated drinks in it So I wouldn't be upsetting too many people.

When I first started this adventure, I checked on an Apartment complex and they wanted some added perks along with enough $ to cover the increased electric bill due to the machine.  Now that I can afford their former request of a change machine in their electronically monitored laundry room along with a laundry supply vending machine, Thought about giving it another shot.  They originally wanted a change machine, when they emptied out the quarters from the washer and dryers, I would buy the quarters back from them with the 1's and 5's that I got out of the change machine. At the time I checked with her, the problem she had with other vendors, was if they were going to provide a change machine and laundry supply vending, they wanted to put cans at $1 and bottles at $1.75 with no money going to her.

I ended up driving through the complex about 10 this evening and I didn't see any signs of a machine in their laundry room.  The machine AND changer would be in view of the cameras that they have in it.  There are 30 apartments in this complex and a total of 40 bedrooms.  When I was there over the summer, The lady stated that they bring in around $500/month from the laundry room alone.

usually the owner of the laundry mat provides the change machine.if you do end up putting one in make sure it is bolted to something,cameras or not.

Don't forget the detonator that will blow up the building when the slime balls decide to try to mess with it anyway. ;D

Seriously, heavy duty bolts to the wall and floor if possible. That thing will have a couple of hundred dollars in it at least, if you fill it probably closer to 500. There are a lot of people out there that will be more than willing to wear a hat and cover their face to rip that thing out of the wall and take off with it,

For 2 months now while servicing my 3rd party machines, I have had people stop and comment about putting cans in my machine. 

I have been keeping an eye on my one can machine that I have, and during the summer I averaged around 14-16vends a day.  From October to 12-1 the sales have been up and down, but for an overall 61 day average, I have averaged 10vends a day.  Where as my bottles are still running around 2.5vends a day for each month.

What I am curious about is if I still meet my minimums for bottles, how upset would Coke get if they happen to find out that I was vending 4 coke flavors of bottles, and 4 coke flavors of 12oz cans. 

I realize bottles will jump in sales once the warmer weather comes, and there is a lower profit margin on cans vs. bottles,  but just curious if I would increase my over all profit by doing 50/50 Bottles/cans.

When I first started this adventure, I always thought Bottles were the most popular.  Maybe it is the economy, I don't know, But my one 5 flavor can machine is out selling my 2-8selection bottle machines combined!

Plus, I really like the idea that if there is a sale on cans, I can stock up and have over 6 months to sell them, where as the bottles I'm lucky if I can get a 60day shelf life on them.

Check with your rep but the purchase requirement ought to cover bottles and cans, they just prefer you buy the bottles for the same reason you mentioned. The case price will be higher then what you can get at Sam's or "on sale" somewhere else but it will also help solve your out of date problems.

Converting a few columns to cans is not a big deal to do either.

Guess the Monster energy machine and Car wash location wasn't meant to be.

I was coming back home from Wal-mart and I happen to see the Pepsi truck at the car wash stocking the machine this morning And noticed it was an old High school friend of mine,  So I stopped by to ask some questions.

He had a DEX? Anyways he had a handheld computer that plugged into the machine to down load the stats for the last 6 months since they pay semi anually, The stats showed since July 1st The machine had 1331 vends. Which equaled out to $1996.50 for 6 months.

We reconnected, swapped email and phone numbers!

Anyways! It got me thinking about shooting for the location one last time. The offer was probably crazy in the eyes of the Vets here, But I was determined! lol

I went home to grab my phone that I forgot, Called my rep and he said I had until 3CST other wise they were shipping it back to where it came from.

No problem! So I stuck my phone in my coat pocket and went to the bathroom.  As I was unzipping my fly, my phone falls out, hits the toilet rim, bounces off the inside of the bowl, and splash! (thankfully it had been flushed!)  I hurry up and grab it trying to dry it off etc. then it dies.

I grab my wife's phone to call the car wash office and they are closed today.  So I went searching for a piece of paper that had the owners cell number written on it.  I had his number in my phone book, but my phone isn't working at this point.

2hrs later 12pm  I find out where he lives and drive to his house.  no one home.  So I go back to the house, grab my phone and go to the Verizon place.  The insurance that I have been paying $4.99 a month for, does NOT cover water damage. And I am only 5 months in on my Contract so to get the same phone, I was looking at retail price of $589!!! Or I could get a little cheap flip phone for $199.  I am used to a smart phone, there is no way I can go from an all in one phone down to a cheap flip phone. 

So I go back home searching again for his cell number, I go back out to his house, What appears to be a college kid is there, I tell him whats going on, and he says his Dad and Mom are gone til Monday and he wasn't giving me his dad's cell number.  So I ask him to call him to have him call me.  He said "uh I don't think so" and then shut the door on me.

So I make the trip back home and call my rep to see if I can extend the holding of the machine Until Monday.  He doesn't answer,  so I leave a voice mail, 8hrs later he still hasn't responded.

Oh well, I tried and I guess it wasn't meant to be.

In reference to the apartment complex wanting you to provide a change machine....DON'T!!!!!!!!!! (Was that enough emphases?)

I have been in the apartment industry for nearly 3 years. The management company I work for manages over 50 apartment complexes ranging from 35 to 400 units each. They do not have a single change machine in any laundry room. The offices do not carry or accept cash or give out change for the machines, and it is not hurting income.

All of our laundry rooms are managed by professional, national laundry supply companies. They will not install a change machine and would refuse an account that required it.

Why?? They will get broken into or stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Most laundry rooms are not locked at night and none are supervised. The management company will not put one in or keep change in the office because it make the office a target for theft.

**On a side note, I now have to look up the instructions for my GII vendor to find out how to set the force vend feature. residents of a apt community have started using it as a change machine

I was reading the paper this evening and on the county commissioners notes, it had in there where RDM sales and service (my biggest rival) had inquired about placing drink and snack machines in the court house. (They were shot down due to their prices),  but anyways it went on to say that RDM would pay them more due to a county facility than regular locations. Snack 5.5% and can drinks would start out with a 85cent price tag, and they would receive a 7.5%commission.  Bottles would start out at $1.50 with a 7.5%commission as well.

Would it be wrong to go to their current locations and inquire about what the locations get, and if I can do it, offer them a higher percentage commission to boot them once the agreement is up and place my own machines?

Or in the vending world, is that just down right wrong?

By all means give it a go, there is nothing wrong with healthy competition.

I`d also contact the county offices saying you read the story about the other vending company amd want to know who to talk to about getting on the bid list for when the contact goes up for bid again.

Also look into getting HUB certification if you want to bid on local gov`t entities.

• 2 weeks later...

is that location lost for good??

I pretty much gave up on the location. After making comments to others in the community, they all pretty much said "he is out for himself and will screw anyone he can."

Whether it is true or not, I don't know. but supposedly, there was a vendor RDM (pretty big vendor around here)that had machines placed there about 4yrs ago that eventually pulled their machines out due to him accusing them of screwing him out of money quite frequently and was always wanting more commission. I find it hard to believe that they would screw him out of money since they have machines in 3 hotels, and 2 hospitals.

Although there were supposedly no contracts signed in his favor, He ended up taking them to court for breach of contract and wanted thousands of dollars in compensation. He lost the suit but not before causing RDM $$ in court and lawyer fees.

Like I said, whether it is true or not, I don't know. I do remember machines being there for a while then one day they were all gone.

So after hearing all of this, I am kind of glad that it didn't pan out.

What is HUB certification?

Historically Underutilized Business, also known as SMWOB (Small, Minority, Woman Owned business. It just a matter of filling out some paperwork, probably at the county level in you state. When bidding on doing business with governmental agencies the bids are usually evaluated on a number basis. You get points for various categories determined by the RFP (Request for Proposals). The bidder with the most points awarded wins, well at least that's how its supposed to work. A HUB certification will get you a few extra points and can help push you over the top in a competitive bid situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Its Tax refund time folks! :D

Have a question for you. :rolleyes:

Ok, Wife and I are getting a nice refund, (well to us anyways) After we pay property taxes and Home owners insurance for the year we are splitting the money, 30% for the girls savings, 35% for me and the same for my wife.

Since Pepsi will not give me any machines, I was planning on getting a vending dolly and a couple machines to expand my route.

I am wondering which way to go. After I get machines, at least 2 or 3 with the Pepsi front, I thought about just going to Sam's to get the 24oz bottles for 58cents each VS 72cents for 20oz from the bottler.

Between Me, my wife and my parents one of us is at Sam's at least 2-3times a month.

If you were in my situation, and had a Sam's nearby with family members such as I,

Would you just go with Sam's on the 24oz bottles and make an extra 14cents profit per bottle? Or would you stick with the Pepsi bottler?

If you would stick with the bottler, and had the same situation as I do, could you explain why?

Thanks!

Its Tax refund time folks! :D

Have a question for you. :rolleyes:

Ok, Wife and I are getting a nice refund, (well to us anyways) After we pay property taxes and Home owners insurance for the year we are splitting the money, 30% for the girls savings, 35% for me and the same for my wife.

Since Pepsi will not give me any machines, I was planning on getting a vending dolly and a couple machines to expand my route.

I am wondering which way to go. After I get machines, at least 2 or 3 with the Pepsi front, I thought about just going to Sam's to get the 24oz bottles for 58cents each VS 72cents for 20oz from the bottler.

Between Me, my wife and my parents one of us is at Sam's at least 2-3times a month.

If you were in my situation, and had a Sam's nearby with family members such as I,

Would you just go with Sam's on the 24oz bottles and make an extra 14cents profit per bottle? Or would you stick with the Pepsi bottler?

If you would stick with the bottler, and had the same situation as I do, could you explain why?

Thanks!

I'm in Sam's 3-4 times a week and I use the bottlers for the bottle drinks. The reason being is that I can count on them having what I need when I need it. I can't say that for Sam's.

Archived