NinnJinn's Vending Adventure

NinnJinn

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its going. Slowly but surely. ;D

I am now realizing why the big vendors are picky on locations and won't hesitate to pull a machine from a slow location.

I currently still have 3 machines out between 2 locations. 1st location is pulling a 32% net profit after the fixed monthly rent etc. but the second location that I thought would be "da bomb digity" basically has just "bombed"

The 2nd location is only averaging 2.4 vends a day over the last 120 days. So obviously I am losing money at that location due to the $50/month rent. I originally wanted to give it a year to see how it would do during the summer, but since it is doing so poorly, I don't think summer will cause it to recoup the losses during the winter Unless sales jump over 10x the current sales, I'm afraid it is a lost cause.

Overall as a "business" for the last 4 months I am pulling in a net profit of about 10% Which isn't too awfully bad I suppose, but when that 10% is based on gross income of roughly $280/month, that down right sucks!

But, I am attempting to keep my head up high, and looking forward to warmer weather!

I am also going to venture into obtaining some inside locations this summer to hopefully carry me through the winter months.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this front start to finish, and I understand completely where you are.

I just hopped ah heck, dove in and and now trying to swim my way to the top. I bought a route and must have had the hook hanging out of my lip, cause I got a good old fashioned beating. I got quoted that it did xyz, and truthfully, I would be surprised if it currently did half of the so called net as gross.

Dogcow has been so helpful, that I can not begin to put it into words. I have spoken with RJT and his book is on the way to me. I know it has been reviewed by other vendors, and it is spoken of quite well, and RJT has an extensive background in sales and runs an exceptional service himself.

My situation is a little bit different, I had a good season here this year with snow (over 100") where i am, and I am also a construction/landscape design contractor, and have a couple other irons in the fire. For me it wasn't a crippling effect, though I am going to feel it for a good amount of time. I did end up with 10 machines though, and now will concentrate on placing them, one of the reasons I am so looking forward to RJT's book, I am in no way a salesman, I do ensure that all my clients regardless of the end of my business they are involved with get extraordinary service.

I was fortunate this past week to get an account at a company I work with as a contractor quite regularly, I expected the snack account and ended up with 3 soda as well. I did go third party as well, however Pepsi was extremely accommodating for me, where Coke informed me they wanted to be involved in my locations. My answer there, AHHH nope, so the only coke machines I will ever have are the ones I own. Plus here in NY, Pepsi really puts a beating on Coke. The guy I talked to p!$ed me off to the point that I am seriously considering putting Pepsi in my coke machine(s). There is a picture on the net of a machines with a pepsi front and coke sides, maybe I will do that. LOL I also have a minimum to buy, 15 cases, it costs about 94 cents per bottle, but the 20 oz are bottler proprietary. They are delivering my initial order on Tuesday, and my machines will be placed the end of the week. I go the kid on Christmas morning feeling going on also.

I was going to purchase a used machine for the snacks on this site, but I have a few that are complete dog's, so the business side of me has me relocating two machines, one to the site where one of my glass fronts is, and than one of my combo's to replace it. I got lucky, I am in this site for no added cost other than moving machines. Which even this, will benefit me, the site the glass front is coming from only get 2-3 vends a day, and they want a soda machine, so it works. the site the combo is currently on, to say patheitc isn't even close.

As for what you are going through now, everyone has given the best advise possible. I have been in the construction industry for myself for years, also worked as a paramedic for 22. The paramedic portion came to a screaming halt in 2009 due to illness. I was forced to go through the same thing you are, how do I survive the winter. Somehow, by God's sheer grace, I made it. When the economy tanked here, landscaping, construction etc all went with it. No sign of remotely bouncing back, but we got $4.00 per gallon gas now. (shaking head).

Any how, one of the postings you have I want to touch on, with investing in more machines. I also want to add more, the combo's I currently have are Antares, basically all plastic, as yo have probably read, not highly though of, and I believe it is their lack of durability with the plastic. You could pop these open and clean them out without much effort whatsoever. I have three glass fronts, 5 table top manual snack machines, and a DN 501E right now. I have an opportunity to buy 5 full size soda and 4 electronic combo in front of me, and recently looked at a ROWE 5900. I decided to wait. One major thing I discovered with this business so far, unlike any other business, you can not use your machines for other clients.

One client = at least one machine.

Though I am not a fan of banks - won't get on my radical republican soap box, if you do not have a home for them right now, I would say don't spend it. I would love nothing more than to hop onto the soda/combo machine deal I found, but as RJT said, it it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense. (I love that,).

I honestly think you should stay the course, you have the heart, it comes across in your writing. I hit a major bump the other day, and thankfully got through it as I knew I would, I have had my business for 17 years, and this end, though I thought about it, know nothing about it. Do NOT give in to the temptation of throwing in the towel. I believe you will regret it. The biggest thing involved is heart, and I believe you have that.

One last note, would it make sense to move your lowest producing machine to a new location instead of buying more right now.

WOW!!! Thanks for posting dloiselle!!!

As far as moving the slow producers, I am still waiting for my coke rep to get ahold of me. to see if I can move them or if they have to move them.

I am seriously considering purchasing some can machines and placing them where I have bottle machines to see how well they do.

I have a can and bottle machine together at one location, and the can machine faithfully outsells the bottles easily 4-1 during this past winter. And based on the past 30 days when we have had warmer weather, I am honestly expecting the cans to bottles sold ratio to double.

I haven't had the bottle machines a year yet, but last summer when I bought the can machine, for 3 months straight during hot weather, I was averaging 10-13 vends per day! And now that the shop has a new owner, and she is open 7 days a week now and open a total of 70hrs a week, I am hopeful that sales will exceed last year.

I guess its about time, that I take the time to keep this thread updated on a regular basis. as everyone can tell, I have been slacking quite a bit in the last few months.

Well, Its locating time! I am losing my very first location. It happens to be the first location that got me started into this business. :angry:

The new owner's husband wants to buy and put his own can machine in and make the wife keep it full (which she isn't happy about) and boot my can machine out, OR, I can pay $100/month plus 10% of gross. He says it sucks too much electricity for only getting $20/month.

He kept going on and on in his cocky know it all attitude about how much I make off that machine and I need to either spread the wealth or get the can machine out! I did the number one thing of things NOT to do!

I went off on him.

I reminded him of all the change he saw me poor into my bag was just that, CHANGE! I said a few other remarks i probably shouldn't have and then said, "Oh and further more, the building owner pays the electric not you, you dumb golpher!" then I left.

This morning I called the female flea market owner and told her I would be removing the can machine within 7 days and the bottle machine will be picked up sometime in the near future.

She apologized for the way her "fiance" acted, and for once someone didn't let him belittle them and stood up to him. She also informed me, that with his attitude, that is what caused her to lose her Post office job and why she is as she put it, "now running a junk shop" (we call them flea markets)

She said to just leave the machines where they are if I don't mind. She said the he only does about 10% of what he says he is going to do.

So, I am still going to keep my eye out for locations, and at this point, I am seriously thinking that bottles aren't really the way to go. So unless someone specifically asks for a bottle machine, I am just going to stick with can machines.

Well, Its locating time! I am losing my very first location. It happens to be the first location that got me started into this business. :angry:

The new owner's husband wants to buy and put his own can machine in and make the wife keep it full (which she isn't happy about) and boot my can machine out, OR, I can pay $100/month plus 10% of gross. He says it sucks too much electricity for only getting $20/month.

He kept going on and on in his cocky know it all attitude about how much I make off that machine and I need to either spread the wealth or get the can machine out! I did the number one thing of things NOT to do!

I went off on him.

I reminded him of all the change he saw me poor into my bag was just that, CHANGE! I said a few other remarks i probably shouldn't have and then said, "Oh and further more, the building owner pays the electric not you, you dumb golpher!" then I left.

This morning I called the female flea market owner and told her I would be removing the can machine within 7 days and the bottle machine will be picked up sometime in the near future.

She apologized for the way her "fiance" acted, and for once someone didn't let him belittle them and stood up to him. She also informed me, that with his attitude, that is what caused her to lose her Post office job and why she is as she put it, "now running a junk shop" (we call them flea markets)

She said to just leave the machines where they are if I don't mind. She said the he only does about 10% of what he says he is going to do.

So, I am still going to keep my eye out for locations, and at this point, I am seriously thinking that bottles aren't really the way to go. So unless someone specifically asks for a bottle machine, I am just going to stick with can machines.

how much do you make from the location ? if its not much just show him your route sheets and remind him he will have to spend several hundred on a machine and product..etc...

servicing 1 location usually isnt worth it because it would take a long time to pay off the machine if its not high traffic one

During the winter I average about 150-200 vends/month. During July-October last year I averaged about 450 vends/month with my highest month being 528vends. And this is all from a 5 selection DN 368

2 of the selections need new motors, but before the motors went out, I really couldn't find a flavor that was a hit. Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Cherry Coke and Mt. Dew are the biggest sellers With Mt. Dew now making up for nearly half of the sales.

During the winter I average about 150-200 vends/month. During July-October last year I averaged about 450 vends/month with my highest month being 528vends. And this is all from a 5 selection DN 368

2 of the selections need new motors, but before the motors went out, I really couldn't find a flavor that was a hit. Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Cherry Coke and Mt. Dew are the biggest sellers With Mt. Dew now making up for nearly half of the sales.

those #s are respectable,oh well, good luck! maybe u can get the wife to sign an agreement

btw whats ur vend price? 65c?

Well, its official! As of April 1st my very first machine and location are getting the boot! They said they needed to bring in more money so they got their own can machine. But yet they said they got a good deal on it. $1495 delivered with no coin mech or dba. I almost peed myself while trying to keep from laughing and to keep a straight face.

Not sure how they expect to bring in more money this year with the price they paid for a machine plus getting a coin mech and dba...

My bottle machine can stay, they just wanted the can machine to go since it had pepsi products in it.

Well, its official! As of April 1st my very first machine and location are getting the boot! They said they needed to bring in more money so they got their own can machine. But yet they said they got a good deal on it. $1495 delivered with no coin mech or dba. I almost peed myself while trying to keep from laughing and to keep a straight face.

Not sure how they expect to bring in more money this year with the price they paid for a machine plus getting a coin mech and dba...

My bottle machine can stay, they just wanted the can machine to go since it had pepsi products in it.

1495 for a can machine, soundslike they got ripped off...how much do they think ur making? did u open ur books for them?i would have

be polite stay in contact they may be calling u the first time it breaks LOL!!!

That sounds about as bad as what I got involved in. Seems like they may get frustrated and end up giving up, expense after expense with no income. I would venture a guess that you may get invited back or to stay. Good Luck!!

1495 for a can machine, soundslike they got ripped off...how much do they think ur making? did u open ur books for them?i would have

be polite stay in contact they may be calling u the first time it breaks LOL!!!

Tell them you'll be happy to hook up DBV and mach for them, $60.00 service call. Cha Ching ;D

Then them you will train them on operating the machine, $100.00 training fee, Cha Ching ;D

Be nice and professional when servicing your bottle machine and in the fall you will be able to buy it for $500.00 or less Cha Ching ;D

I didn't show them the actual amounts, but only agreement they wanted in order for me to stay was to give them 50% of gross. But the Coke bottle machine could stay at the normal $20/month

Tell them you'll be happy to hook up DBV and mach for them, $60.00 service call. Cha Ching ;D

Then them you will train them on operating the machine, $100.00 training fee, Cha Ching ;D

Be nice and professional when servicing your bottle machine and in the fall you will be able to buy it for $500.00 or less Cha Ching ;D

Very good points Mission! I like your thinking!

I didn't show them the actual amounts, but only agreement they wanted in order for me to stay was to give them 50% of gross. But the Coke bottle machine could stay at the normal $20/month

it might have been a mistake not to show them the amounts because they would have realized they arent going to recoup the cost of that machine in a year. of course 50% of gross is basically robbery you arent making anything at that price. i think the thing is even 30 or 40 bucks looks like a lot of money in singles and change i am surprised you couldnt come to some arrangement.

I told them that I average around $30-$35gross each week. My biggest week was a little over $100 gross but that was the week that they had an out door car show for the weekend. Then that is when He said, "Well then little dude, you can afford 50% then right? 50/50 share a like!" I rolled my eyes and left.

I told them that I average around $30-$35gross each week. My biggest week was a little over $100 gross but that was the week that they had an out door car show for the weekend. Then that is when He said, "Well then little dude, you can afford 50% then right? 50/50 share a like!" I rolled my eyes and left.

what a prick

Sounds like he is a totally arrogant pompous golpher!! I like the service and training charge idea, but the "little dude" comment, I would have really had a hard time not knocking him on his a$$ if my imagination of how that must have gone down is correct. The fact that you had some "words of wisdom for him" - LOL, I think I would have had quite a few of them. Actually knowing how I can get when I get mad, he would have gotten a novel's worth dictated to him.

I guess I am a shorty. lol I dunno. I'm 5'6" but it seems like I am one of the shortest guys in my area. lol The "big dude" (since he called me little dude) is probably around 6ft I would say. With his hair and the way he carries himself, he kinda puts me in mind of a "surfer dude" wannabe

• 2 weeks later...

My first location that has my DN368 has decided they want the machine moved today. (Told me Friday) Due to their machine coming tomorrow. I went to pick up the "vending" dolly that I reserved for today and the two that are out, have not been returned, they are both a day late on being returned. :angry: So, the only other thing I could come up with is to use a regular appliance dolly and have 3 guys plus myself on hand to move the beast!

Not sure when it will happen, due to two of them being in church this morning but it will happen sometime this after noon, but If I haven't returned by tomorrow explaining how it went, then you know it wasn't pretty!:o

My first location that has my DN368 has decided they want the machine moved today. (Told me Friday) Due to their machine coming tomorrow. I went to pick up the "vending" dolly that I reserved for today and the two that are out, have not been returned, they are both a day late on being returned. :angry: So, the only other thing I could come up with is to use a regular appliance dolly and have 3 guys plus myself on hand to move the beast!

Not sure when it will happen, due to two of them being in church this morning but it will happen sometime this after noon, but If I haven't returned by tomorrow explaining how it went, then you know it wasn't pretty!:o

iit is doable ijust bought a 368 a few weeks ago and it was moved by 3 or 4 people using a regular dolly but BE CAREFUL

Well, it didn't happen. the gang was a no show, it was just me and my father. You never realize how big a machine is until you are in front of it and attempting to move it.

We managed to scoot it enough where their new machine can go in its place. Will be getting the "vending" dolly as soon as it comes in.

iit is doable ijust bought a 368 a few weeks ago and it was moved by 3 or 4 people using a regular dolly but BE CAREFUL

In general I think it is safer to have only two people moving machines. This sounds dumb, but moving machines is all about communicating and working together. For the most part no one person can move a machine, so all or both of you need to be pushing/lifting in the same direction. Adding a third or fourth person usually complicates this and they get in the way. you end up with too much muscle and not enough coordination. When I move equipment with someone, we agree upfront that neither of us do anything without saying out loud first like "I'm moving my side back six inches". The close calls, smashed fingers, and property damage seems to happen when the two people have different ideas of what needs to be done and they start doing two different things.

I guess this all assumes that your starting with the right equipment ;)

Archived