NinnJinn's Vending Adventure

NinnJinn

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September 17th 2010

Called my Coke rep and got two machines ordered. And went ahead and placed a coke order for the 30th of this month.

Coke machines should be placed within 2-3weeks! 

I thought I had to take what flavors they gave me.  but when ordering the machines I had to pick 8 flavors! Talking about being on the spot!  I was so afraid I was going to pick a Pepsi product!  :o that wouldn't have been good would it....

So in my two Coke machines I will have Coke, Caffeine Free Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Sprite, Fanta orange, Mello Yello, Barq's Root Beer, and Dasani Water.

If the Caffeine Diet doesn't work, my parents will buy them.  My brother loves mello yello, wife likes cherry coke. 

I finally got a call yesterday from my pepsi rep.  We met today, and I have a feeling I am going to be fighting an up hill battle.  Pepsi Bottle Co (my local pepsi) just merged with Pepsi Americas and Pepsi Americas isn't wanting any new 3rd party vending unless you have a solid proven track record of at least 20 cases per machine you, yes.... YOU own.

She has to meet with her "new" bosses Monday and Tuesday and she will present them the so called meeting we had.  She said normally she could start me out with 5 machines with no problem but since the merger, she isn't even sure she can get me 1 machine.  If she can get me machines,  I have to go pick them up and put them where I choose and let them know where I place them.

If something breaks, I have to remove it, drive to the nearest facility (40miles away)  and they will swap me out free of charge.  Even if it is a cooling deck, I have to pull it, take it to them and they will give me a working one. I take it back to my machine and install it myself.

To be honest,  about 50% of the reason behind 3rd party was so I didn't have to move machines around myself. 30% rest assured it would be fixed for free if it broke down. And 20% due to lack of funds to purchase bottle machines.

I can rent a box truck with a lift gate, but I don't know where to begin on finding a vending dolly with kickout wheels to rent.

I really wish Coke was my biggest seller, but unfortunately Pepsi is my biggest seller.

yeah I agree it sounds bad haveing to do all the work with the 3rd party machines,but on the positive side they break down very little(unless your me),and are still free machines.why dont you see if they give you lets say3-5 service calls a year as part of the deal,it wont effect them at all since they have everything readily available for service calls.on another note the dolly may be expensive but if you want to do full line imo either your in or your out.its not like bulk with triples or racks where you could do it in a regular truck or even your car and service/locate with it and just have few locations.with full line it seems much harder to be small and takes much more start up money.you could buy the dolly and rent a truck as needed if pepsi gives you the 5 machines they used to give.

with full line it seems much harder to be small and takes much more start up money.

Agreed!  When I nicely expressed my "oh that sucks" the rep said "thats why they charge so little for the cases."

True, they are about 15 cents per bottle cheaper than Coke's "cheapest tier"  but still, it just doesn't sit well with me.

I might be acting like a drama queen, but I have never moved a machine before, I have never seen one moved before except for youtube with the 3-4,000 Dollies, and quiet frankly, just the thought of it scares the hell out of me. 

I wonder if I show up with my lift gate truck and proper dolly, if the guys at the bottlers will show me how to do it?

I bet 99% of the time they will,otherwise just tell them it`s for thier own machines then they wontt say no.most of the time the techs are pretty down to earth people and willing to help like technivend and others are here.being a bigger person helps and haveing someone with you may be best but not necessary.are you a big person?

I bet 99% of the time they will,otherwise just tell them it`s for thier own machines then they wontt say no.most of the time the techs are pretty down to earth people and willing to help like technivend and others are here.being a bigger person helps and haveing someone with you may be best but not necessary.are you a big person?

I'm 5ft 6in  and possibly 160lbs.  I dunno, I get weighed once a year at the doctor's office.

id be glad to help you move machines ninnjinn  if you buy lunch i have a good dolly   and have moved several machines just let me know bud

alan

WOW!!!  :o  you sure can't beat that kind of a deal!  THANKS!  I won't know anything before Weds.  But I will keep you updated.

Alan and I had a nice chat over the phone this evening.  It was really nice talking to someone about vending and getting feedback. instead of a "mmmm hmmmm,  yeah,  oh ok,  sounds good honey"

If pepsi lets me have a couple machines,  Alan and I will be meeting soon, and I will face my biggest vending fear to date.  MOVING A MACHINE!

Well, I called Angie, my pepsi rep this morning and left a voice mail.  She called me about 20mins ago to give me the update on what she had found out about 3rd party vending.  Her boss wants to see a 500 case purchase before I can have any machines.  :huh:

So, I have 2 coke machines coming and can't get any Pepsi machines until I build up my route to where I am purchasing 500 cases every 6 months.  No offense, but if I can sell 84cases a month on my own, why would I even bother with them?  Plus, I could sell the 24oz bottles and get them a heck of a lot cheaper than the ol 20oz and also sell them for more $ than 20oz....

So I guess it is back to the drawing board and saving ALL my quarters. To get a dolly, then save up to buy my own bottle machines.

I checked the only machine I have at the moment today.  For the last four days I am averaging 17vends/day! 

When my 2 bottle machines come in and get placed,  I really hope they do as well,  but to be honest, I am not holding my breath!

I am still on the prowl for a reliable bottle machine so I can vend Pepsi bottles and work my way up to 500 cases.  Actually, I need two of them, but I am just searching for one at the moment.  I am attempting to build my route debt free.  I understand at one point in this adventure, I will probably have to go in debt, (loan or credit card)  but I want to make sure I have a steady flow of income and not sell myself short.  I still haven't done full line vending through the winter yet,  I have heard and been told what to expect, but I haven't personally experienced it yet. 

So until I get a feel for the 4 seasons worth of sales, I am spending what the machine/machines earn and that is it.

*sigh*  I know my one location is a weekly fill.  But I like going to stock it and collect the money to have something to do.  When I first started, I was going everyday!  boy was it fun!  I went on vacation and thought I was going to die! lol  I came back and after 14hrs of driving, and a ticked off wife I stopped by the machine at 1am to find that nothing was sold out, but had lots of stocking to do!

I realized that I needed to calm down and not go every single day.  so I dropped it to every Mon, Weds, and Friday.

This week was thrown off by stocking  Sun, tues and thursday.   So I waited two days, and went to check the machine today, only to find that it wasn't really worth stocking!  :o  So, I checked the over flow can, it and I could still see the bottom of the can.  So I just closed the machine up and came home.

Does this ever happen to anyone else?  You expect the normal 2-3 cases worth of stocking only to find that a 12 pack will be enough to top off all 5 selections combined?

I now possibly know why most of the Veteran vendors own their own machines and steer clear of being solely 3rd party.

I have 2 locations waiting on a machine.  My coke rep said it would be 2-3weeks before the machines would be ready to place.  I received a call this morning from my second new location wanting to know if I was still going to place a machine there.  She said she had a vendor stop by yesterday inquiring about placing a machine there and could have it there by this Friday.

I told her that I haven't received word yet on when the machine would be coming in and when we had spoken I said it would be 2-3weeks before the machine would come in.  She then said, "oh yes thats right, it has only been two hasn't it.  I'm sorry..."  But she is giving me until next Friday Oct. 8th to have a machine there, other wise she will be going with the other vendor.  I told her that was plenty of time and thanked her for her patience.

I really wish you could order 1-2machines at a time to be set up for you without having an exact address. That way I can have a machine getting ready and when I find a location for it,  I can call them and tell them where to place it and I along with the property owner only has to wait  5-7days and we don't have to wait 2-3weeks for the machine, mean while the owner might be extremely anxious for a machine and think "screw NinnJinn Vending  I can have a machine placed within 48hrs instead of 2-3weeks" And then I am out of a location.

I am currently looking at DN 501e  machines that are for sale locally.  I just have to figure out how to pay for them without the Mrs. killing me and putting us as a family in debt.

4:54pm est.

Sigh,,,,,  I was complaining about Coke taking their time.  I volunteered to work my part time day job from 10-2:30 tomorrow.  Pick the girls up at 3 Take my oldest to gymnastics at 330,  take my youngest to gymnastics at 4:30.  Get home and grill out for supper.

302 today coke calls and says they have my machines ready and will be delivering them on locations provided sometime between 10 and 4 tomorrow....  :-\:-X  What in the heck do I do?:huh:

My rep told me they would call 2-3 days in advance to SCHEDULE a delivery appointment.  Guess I will see if one of my parents can take care of the errands and pray that they don't deliver until after 2:30

Vending is sooooooooooooo much fun!!!!!!!!  I think I need to pick up on having a daily drink... :huh:

4:54pm est.

Sigh,,,,,  I was complaining about Coke taking their time.  I volunteered to work my part time day job from 10-2:30 tomorrow.  Pick the girls up at 3 Take my oldest to gymnastics at 330,  take my youngest to gymnastics at 4:30.  Get home and grill out for supper.

302 today coke calls and says they have my machines ready and will be delivering them on locations provided sometime between 10 and 4 tomorrow....  :-\:-X  What in the heck do I do?:huh:

My rep told me they would call 2-3 days in advance to SCHEDULE a delivery appointment.  Guess I will see if one of my parents can take care of the errands and pray that they don't deliver until after 2:30

Vending is sooooooooooooo much fun!!!!!!!!  I think I need to pick up on having a daily drink... :huh:

cant you tell them no can do whats their next earliest date

cant you tell them no can do whats their next earliest date

October 14th.  Since my area is 75miles from their warehouse,  they only come up every 2-3 weeks.  Unless they have an order for six or more machines, then its within 10days after ordering.

Welcome to the world of full line vending buddy. A never ending set of "things to deal with". Personally I think that`s why I love it. Its never the same thing two days in a row. Sometimes it will wear on you but look at it as a challenge to how much you can juggle :P :P :P

I got my machines!!!!   :-*:P :P :PB) 8) B)

I get a call at 1045am saying they are about 5 minutes from the first location.  Work was slow so I went to the location.  Those two guys made it look E-A-S-Y!!! But I guess practice makes perfect.  they said Coke tries to keep the same guys paired up together.  They have been together for 7yrs now.  At location 1 I got a Royal Vendors 660 9 selection converted to an 8 selection.  Dunno why, but they had 3 columns set up for coke 2 for Diet, and two for water.  

I was unable to meet them at location 2 due to it being 12 miles from work, but It is a Royal Vendors 660 12 selection converted to an 8 selection and this one has wave? front. it has like 2 dips and 3 humps on the front door.  Looks pretty cool!  I have never seen one like this before.  They had this one setup more reasonably!  4 were double columns and the other 4 were single. Coke 2 Cherry Coke 2, Mello Yello 2, and Water 2.  On this one they had 1 Diet column.

They both have a coinco vortex coin mech.  there aren't any coin tubes, just slots for change and at the bottom of each slot it has a miniature hopper.  Dunno what bill acceptor they have in them. all I know is that both of them have a sticker that says "2010 $5 and $10 ok"  but they won't accept a $5 only $1's and each one has a different bill stacker.

Oh, and both machines also have computer boards in them! There are at least 2 computer boards in each machine!  When I open the door  a bunch of numbers etc scroll across the little "$1.25" display  on one board in each machine it looks like it has 2 phone jack plugins on the board.  WTH?

Normally the coke guy that delivers the bottles comes between 12:30 and 1:15.  once in 2yrs he came after 2.   I waited and I waited.....   the fart knocker didn't come until 4:30!!!!  I have never been so thrilled to see the coke man! lol

But anyways,  I had ordered 10 cases of product, stupid me forgetting that it was for 2 machines!  So both machine aren't even stocked half way!

the coke machine I have is the wave kind as well.the coke techs say they are pretty reliable(unless your me)as far as ordering soda look at the positive,at least you will have a little cash flow for the next order.coke has 3 tier priceing,for me it is 17 cases or more for the lowest price unless I buy a pallet.

on the coke machine watch the t handle it closes only one way or it`ll get stuck and yyou may need a screw driver to pry it out.mine has a mark so I always know which way it goes to push it in.

congrats on your expansion.I hope you are very succesful my friend.

Archived