Bought Empty Capsules

noved1

I am purchasing some empty 1' capsules and I don't know what to put in them. I am looking for suggestions on what to put in them.

Um...I wouldn't buy empty capsules without having something in them....but if I did then I'd buy a bunch of 2" capped numb skulls from A&A. Then I'd put the numb skulls into the 1" and save the 2" for a rainy day. I never can get enough empty 2".

I am purchasing some empty 1' capsules and I don't know what to put in them. I am looking for suggestions on what to put in them.

sav-on-closeouts.com has some penny items that fit into the 1 inch capsule. erasers, pony tail holders, smiley foam rings etc...mix them in with a mix from aa or cardinal and it will cut your cost.

There are several things you can use. I put all this in my 1" mix. Erasers,rings,tattoos,lizards,frogs, snakes, silly bandz, and whatever else I happen across.

I normally purchase at Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Big Lots, Walmart, Magic Mart. Right after a holiday is the best time to look. I normally will only pay .02-.03 for each item. Sometimes I find it for .01.

Also, start looking closely around competitor's machines. You will find a lot of empty capsules and sometimes even the toys.

Also, start looking closely around competitor's machines. You will find a lot of empty capsules and sometimes even the toys.

Do any of you have plastic "recycle" buckets so that people can put their unwanted capsules in? I know that it's likely that someone uses it as trash, but maybe if you put a small slot it would work. I'm going to try and get something for my shows since I'm right there and can redirect the trash elsewhere. I may look into doing this at locations as well. Maybe even have a "save the environment sticker" on it?

This thread is interesting to me. I'm wondering if these cheap items work better in some areas than others. To be honest, I only focus on the branded lower profit but higher visibility items. I find that I get a very high turn over, about 1 out of 2 people actually buy something from one of my machines. And often they will spend $2 or more.

But my locations are very specific, being that they are entertainment oriented. Today I will pull from an ice cream shop after 3 & 1/2 days. Mainly I want to check in with the owner to make sure he's good and I cannot make the trip this weekend. I did put my regular 2" in with items that average about $.50 cost and vend for $1.00. The 1" is Brand Sqwishland that I'll swap with A&A Numb Skulls in a month to keep it fresh. But those are still about $.10-.15 each for the $.50 vend.

The profit margin for $.01 item is great, but I wonder if I'd get the same response with those items. Maybe I would but I'm too new to take that chance. I might break something that isn't broken.

The cheap stuff rarely sells well as a stand-alone product. For me, it is intended to be mixed with the more expensive premium grade products to lower the over all average product cost per vend. So this cheap stuff is essentially “filler” used to water down the good stuff. Now if you are selling 1 inch at 50 cents, then there is probably no need to do this. But for those that still vend toys at a quarter, they will most likely want to do this to keep the margins respectable. The trick is determining what proportion of filler is acceptable to the consumer (80-20, 70-30, 60-40, 50-50) before it negatively affects sales and creates complaints.

I have been selling water downed mixes for 4 years now and have only ever had 1 “complaint”. In some ways, it creates a sense of adventure for the consumer in not knowing what will dispense next. Sort of appeals to that gambling instinct in many of us (even at an early age). Many like the thrill of winning a nice prize. Although some will get the booby prize, we hope they will just spin again and again (or ask daddy for more and more quarters!) to get what they really want. And when the "risk" is just a quarter, people don't seem to care much. Crane vendors do this all the time (at higher prices). Win Big also uses this concept with their scratch off lottery sleeves for tattoos.

I got the email from A&A that Antonio got.

There are 1 or 2 items in there that I'll be trying.

I learned early on that saving money on crappy items isn't really saving money.

I'm sure crappy items will cost you sales (especially in locations where you aren't the only vendor).

Sure, your COG is only 3cents...but, wouldn't it be better to pay 5cents for something that sells two or three times better?

Not saying capping your own toys is a bad idea -- especially in a mix with good stuff.

But, what I AM saying is: Don't focus so hard on keeping your COG down that you lose sight of the sales you may be losing.

Find a good middle ground.

I find that I get a very high turn over, about 1 out of 2 people actually buy something from one of my machines. And often they will spend $2 or more.

That's good info MrGranger.

How do you come to the figures of "1 out of 2 people buy something" and "...they will spend $2..."?

Is that accurate?

I have never done that for my vending locations but think it would be useful to know.

How do you come to these figures?

Buying toys from close out sites or from retail stores may work but its a bad idea. The laws the cover bulk are not the same as retail when it comes to safety and testing. The law requires that you keep records of testing reports and date of import for every type of product you sell. Do you have this info for the products you are buying from these places? If not your breaking the law. How would you feel if red lobster was buying fish from a guy in the street. This is a great business help your self and others by doing it right.

That's good info MrGranger.

How do you come to the figures of "1 out of 2 people buy something" and "...they will spend $2..."?

Is that accurate?

I have never done that for my vending locations but think it would be useful to know.

How do you come to these figures?

I have the benefit of being there. But if you've seen any of my pictures, you'll see that I operate booths at entertainment events. So every other person that walks by usually will put in .25 into something. Often it's every single person. I have only one regular location which I have no idea what happens. The beauty of being onsite is that I have even changed out slow vending machines. I will be doing about one big show every weekend or so for the next month or two, I will definitely report how it goes. I will be at the San Diego Comic Con which at over 200,000 people walking by each day will be the largest show that I've done. I'm right near the food so I'll be bringing candy for the first time.

I know there is a big difference between the shows and regular locations, but I have been trying to focus on getting regular locations that are related to my weekend shows. Like the ice cream shop. I would love to get into a big family fun pizza place, I think my machines would do really well there...but I have seen that most of those locations have their own machines.

I have the benefit of being there. But if you've seen any of my pictures, you'll see that I operate booths at entertainment events. So every other person that walks by usually will put in .25 into something. Often it's every single person. I have only one regular location which I have no idea what happens. The beauty of being onsite is that I have even changed out slow vending machines. I will be doing about one big show every weekend or so for the next month or two, I will definitely report how it goes. I will be at the San Diego Comic Con which at over 200,000 people walking by each day will be the largest show that I've done. I'm right near the food so I'll be bringing candy for the first time.

I know there is a big difference between the shows and regular locations, but I have been trying to focus on getting regular locations that are related to my weekend shows. Like the ice cream shop. I would love to get into a big family fun pizza place, I think my machines would do really well there...but I have seen that most of those locations have their own machines.

Dang!

I thought I was going to get to do something really cool with my locations.

I see how you get your figures, but you're right...that only applies to your situation.

Thanks, though.

Dang!

I thought I was going to get to do something really cool with my locations.

I see how you get your figures, but you're right...that only applies to your situation.

Thanks, though.

Yep...I just went by my ice cream shop. I didn't even bother pulling it because I could tell that it had at most $5 in it after 3 days. I'll go back in a couple weeks. I spoke with the owner and he said that a lot of people stand in front of the machines staring at the "cool toys" but hardly anyone puts in some quarters. I'm hoping that will change as the regular customers remember it's there and bring more change on their next visit. That stuff is good info for me so I can modify the display & products to customer desires.

One thing important that I did learn is that the Brand Sqwishland machine got 0 interest. I'll definitely be bringing a replacement machine when I come back. I was on the fence about those Squishies at the location so I'm not too disappointed. (Though I am a bit disappointed that the Sqwishland stuff has done poorly for me over all.)

@sherlock:I agree with you that saving money on a slow mover wont "save" money.they have 2 $10 options that would be a great filler for a mystery mix and the ninjas are a great seller for me,I hope they dont discontinue them.

Are the ninjas the only thing on sale?

@sherlock:I agree with you that saving money on a slow mover wont "save" money.they have 2 $10 options that would be a great filler for a mystery mix and the ninjas are a great seller for me,I hope they dont discontinue them.

Yea, I second that! Cheap mystery filler at $10 is good (4 cents each). I will load up on those tattoos, but will never sell them as a stand-alone product.

Yea, I second that! Cheap mystery filler at $10 is good (4 cents each). I will load up on those tattoos, but will never sell them as a stand-alone product.

I made that mistake with the 2 inch tattoo and it bombed too.I am having a real dilema I have more then enough 1 inch toys, but this offer is the lowest I have seen 1 inch from a distributor.ecspecially for a great seller like ninjas.

sherlock There is one thing you can do if not already doing it. You can see how much sell a day and how many people use machine a day. Just take total amount collected and divide by number of days between services.

Example: Collect $30.00 divided by .50 each vend. = 60 vends or 60 people. Lets say in 14 days. Take 60 divided by 14 you get about 4 people a day.

I hope that helps if not already doing that.

That's cool they are having a deal, I think I will order some ninjas too. I was also thinking about the spongebob superballs, but how well does spongebob stuff sell good? Is it still popular or is it passe now?

Edit: They were sold out of spongebob superballs, so I got the generic pack, but I also got one bag of Domo(hopefully they sell well, they were kinda pricey), some ninjas and California gold with the displays for all of them.

Hopefully I can get a good location to sell these at.

I got some Ninja and some of the Alien Mix. I am going to try a .25 mix at my ice cream shop while I wait for Domo to get restocked in CA. Domo is well worth the extra price to me since he's so popular now. I vend Domo for .50 and still he runs out.

Archived