Used Machines

Hillbilly

It seems the supply of cheap machines is never ending.

In the last week I have bought 3 machines. The first was a brand new PM Elite for $53 including shipping. The second was 2 NW Super 60's with a double bracket and a Tempo stand for $60. No shipping on this one. All are route ready with keys.

These 2 deals keep my cost of machines under $30 if I factor in the stand and bracket. What would be the advantages of buying new? The warranties seem like a mute point. Like to hear some opinions on this.

Last year in June being the total newbie I was and not yet finding the TVF . I bought a brand new 5 head j-stand rack and a triple head unit from two different companies. Right now both have been pulled off my route because of malfunctioning mechanisms and locks that seized up on the machines. I replaced both with small racks with used machines which have been functioning perfectly. The company I got the rack from did replace one mechanism Free of charge. But the location owner continued to complain so I yanked it off my route. So I paid $230.00 for a rack setting in my garage and replaced it with a rack I bought for $35.00 and having no problems. Every one brags about the beavers here, but the Oaks, Northwesterns and Gabriels I have out must be at least 20 plus year old. When I first started I was going to buy all new machines as I went. That mindset flew out the window last July or August.

So my opinion is buyer beware! The warranties ! Cheap used machines rock and the quarters just keep piling up!!!

Last year in June being the total newbie I was and not yet finding the TVF . I bought a brand new 5 head j-stand rack and a triple head unit from two different companies. Right now both have been pulled off my route because of malfunctioning mechanisms and locks that seized up on the machines. I replaced both with small racks with used machines which have been functioning perfectly. The company I got the rack from did replace one mechanism Free of charge. But the location owner continued to complain so I yanked it off my route. So I paid $230.00 for a rack setting in my garage and replaced it with a rack I bought for $35.00 and having no problems. Every one brags about the beavers here, but the Oaks, Northwesterns and Gabriels I have out must be at least 20 plus year old. When I first started I was going to buy all new machines as I went. That mindset flew out the window last July or August.

So my opinion is buyer beware! The warranties ! Cheap used machines rock and the quarters just keep piling up!!!

I have also purchased mainly used equipment, and for me it has been the way to go. I can make my used equipment look just as nice as new for a fraction of the price. When you look at the prices of new equipment, it just doesn't make sense in my mind to pay that kind of money. If I were to buy brand new, I would likely purchase import equipment 100 machines at a time from a direct broker for a manufacturer. I would like to support American made products, but the pricing should be competitive with a company 8000 miles away. I will still buy used though, until I can't get my hands on them locally.

For most vendors, used equipment is the way to go. As long as the machines are reputable you should be ok most of the time.

I always find Oak/Eagle/NW/A&A used on various sites and even through members on here! Ask around you never know what will pop up.

Thus far all I have purchased is used, but in the last two weeks I have not been able to find used machines that I prefer. Those machines are Northwesterns, Northwesterns and Northwesterns. ;D

So far I find the rare deal in this area for used. I mostly buy used, but it's on a case by case basis. I've been looking on Craigslist for three months now without a single deal. Ebay is a rare deal and usually it's for major fixer-upers. I think the market is pretty high so people sell for almost new prices for even not near new machines. And when I factor in the cost of new mechs (most machines aren't configured for what I sell), the new machines are looking better.

Beavers - Best I've seen is $40 a machine on Craigslist, but with the cost of new mechs it's a wash.

Northwestern - Also about $40 a machine for Super60 and rare. Also kills the deal when I have to pay for new mech and paint. $100 for the Northwestern 80 is the best I've seen, matching many Ebay deals.

A&A Global - I can pick these up new from A&A Global for about $55 PN95...on Craigslist the best I get is $40 but add the price of a new mech and it's MORE expensive.

Oak - The only deals I've found so far. About $25. I just got a few of the Vistas to repaint. It's not a great deal but it's better than nothing.

I'm sure other areas are better but I check on a daily basis for months without seeing much more than those off-brand machines.

I did luck up once and find 2 brand new machines still in the box for a fraction of what they are new, the rest have been used. I own a small paint and body shop so all of the used machines received a complete refurb including custom paint.

80% of my machines are used. But is is getting harder to find good used stuff in this area. You really have to jump on it when you find it or else it will be gone fast. Oak seems to have the best price for new single heads. Maybe 2 or 3 vendors could get together and do a large volume purchase to get a better price. But one nice thing about buying new is that you get to choose the wheel, coin mech and lock that you want to be included with the machine with little or no upgrade cost.

I don'r see that much of a saving in buying used machines instead of new ones. A used Beaver machine is around $50 vs $85 for a new one. With a used machine, I have to order a new lock ($10.00, a base collar ($15.00)and sometime I even need to order a new globe ($12.00) and a wheel ($7 to $15.00. When all said and done, I dont save that much buying a used machine.

If you need something fast, call Ken Silverman with First Class Vending. He sells refurbed machines at "decent" prices. I can order machine Monday morn and have it before noon on wednesday, of course I am only about 400-500 mil away from him, but he does get them out the door fast. Also he will customize it with whatever wheels and coin mechs you desire.He has Tattoo machines too.

Does he have a website or just ebay?

Archived