Your Vending Vehicle of Choice

mainor5251

There has been plenty of talk in the past about what vehicles we use and what works best, in the past I got to test drive a Ford Transit Connect and really like it but after being in this business a little longer I have come to realize its just not big enough. I like the dodge sprinter but not the price, I don't think dodge is even making them anymore, I think Mercedes is now. I think Nissan has come up with something interesting in the Nissan NV, here's a pic, I love it.

post-1725-0-19622600-1304198652_thumb.jpg

There has been plenty of talk in the past about what vehicles we use and what works best, in the past I got to test drive a Ford Transit Connect and really like it but after being in this business a little longer I have come to realize its just not big enough. I like the dodge sprinter but not the price, I don't think dodge is even making them anymore, I think Mercedes is now. I think Nissan has come up with something interesting in the Nissan NV, here's a pic, I love it.

Mercedes always made the Sprinter, have done so for a number of years in Europe. When they first brought them to the US they made some kind of deal with Dodge to distribute and sell them. I guess that the original agreement expired and Mercedes decided to sell them here under their own label.

I have a sprinter and a Astro and a box truck. For route work the sprinter is ideal. Holds some machines and lots of product. A ford extended is also good. If look at auctions there are plenty of good used vans out there. Do your homework and look around and when you see the one for you buy it. Many times the will have a cage and mat.

What's the mpg on the NV? I tried googling it, and found a reviewer saying it did 12 mpg for him w/ the truck empty in the back, but I couldn't find an official number for it. I just don't think I could do 12 mpg to service my route, 17 mpg for my truck is bad enough.

Well I still can not decide what to get next. But I still like having a mini van with the back seats removed. It has plenty of space for racks and has decent A/C for the candy, gum and sticky stuff. Also blends in with "the crowd" and no one really knows it's a vending service vehicle. Dodge has some Caravan models where all the seats fold into the floor and I belive they are now making a cargo version. But the mileage is not as good on those mini vans (16-18 MPG) as we would like with gas going to $5 per gallon. Still researching the overall quality of those Caravans, but Dodge has cranked out quite a few over the years. Just stay away from the old Ford mini vans (windstar, freestar) as they are a maintenance nightmare.

1993 Chevy Caprice Full Size Wagon. The last of the big wagons. 25MPG

1995 Chevy Caprice Full Size Wagon with LT1 Vette Engine only 20 MPG but lots more fun to drive!!

Both these cars are large 9 pass wagons, full frames,and V8 engines getting MPG of much smaller cars. Just shows we have the tech. to make them get fuel economy.

I would like to go to a full size van for the size of the cargo area, but with gas prices rising everyday I will put it off for another year. I agree with Jax on the mini-van, I love the comfort and ease of use, I also like blending in with other cars, I currently have a 1998 dodge caravan with 270,000 miles, last week i got 21 mpg, it has paid for itself many times over, I repair it whenever necessary, last year I spent a little more than I wanted to, but way less than a new van with payments and higher tax fees. But when I do replace it I will buy a used minivan in the $5000.00 price range, preferably a Dodge but just because this one has been so good, I have driven Fords in the past and had good results as well.

1993 Chevy Caprice Full Size Wagon. The last of the big wagons. 25MPG

1995 Chevy Caprice Full Size Wagon with LT1 Vette Engine only 20 MPG but lots more fun to drive!!

Both these cars are large 9 pass wagons, full frames,and V8 engines getting MPG of much smaller cars. Just shows we have the tech. to make them get fuel economy.

those are impressive mpg's for the 8 cylinder engines, besides the obvious of tire pressure, oil changes etc...have you done anything else that increases the mpg's? if so, can these changes be made affordably to other vehicles? i.e. dodge caravan

K&N airfilters are guaranteed to increase your mileage. I may try one of those someday, but as expensive as those filters are it will take a little time to pay for itself before you start benefitting.

The K&N filter on my 2004 Ford F350 Supercab increased mileage by about 1.3 MPG. On my 2006 Expedition by about 1.5 MPG and on my Isuzu NPR by about 1 MPG. These numbers reflect thousands of miles driven and the initial cost has been returned several times.

What about Ford Econoline E150, E250, E350? A full size cargo van. Anyone still have one or checked into one. Just curious. There are a bunch of those out there.

Had an E250 for 4-5 years was a great vehicle, probably would still have it as an emergency backup except for the fact it was totaled hitting a deer at 70 MPH. First time I've been in an accident with airbag deployment, not an experience I care to repeat.

The K&N filter on my 2004 Ford F350 Supercab increased mileage by about 1.3 MPG. On my 2006 Expedition by about 1.5 MPG and on my Isuzu NPR by about 1 MPG. These numbers reflect thousands of miles driven and the initial cost has been returned several times.

good information guys! thanks I will try one of these.

I would like to go to a full size van for the size of the cargo area, but with gas prices rising everyday I will put it off for another year. I agree with Jax on the mini-van, I love the comfort and ease of use, I also like blending in with other cars, I currently have a 1998 dodge caravan with 270,000 miles, last week i got 21 mpg, it has paid for itself many times over, I repair it whenever necessary, last year I spent a little more than I wanted to, but way less than a new van with payments and higher tax fees. But when I do replace it I will buy a used minivan in the $5000.00 price range, preferably a Dodge but just because this one has been so good, I have driven Fords in the past and had good results as well.

those are impressive mpg's for the 8 cylinder engines, besides the obvious of tire pressure, oil changes etc...have you done anything else that increases the mpg's? if so, can these changes be made affordably to other vehicles? i.e. dodge caravan

I think in these cars it is all in the gear ratio of the rearend. Both cars are completely stock. I just happened on to my first one and when the guy told me he was getting 24-26mpg I was sold. It will get 24 pretty consistent driving 70-75 on the highway.

I have noticed and I think it has already been mentioned in this post that almost any vehicle gets better mileage driving the speed limits rather than 10 over. My last vehicle was 2mpg different from 65 to 75 mph. It all adds up and is worth slowing down a bit.

I have noticed and I think it has already been mentioned in this post that almost any vehicle gets better mileage driving the speed limits rather than 10 over. My last vehicle was 2mpg different from 65 to 75 mph. It all adds up and is worth slowing down a bit.

I have a car that has Direct Fuel Injection and it averages 21mpg between city and highway driving. Interestingly enough... the gas mileage increases dramatically when I hover over 100mph. I can get around 35mpg at that speed.

I have a car that has Direct Fuel Injection and it averages 21mpg between city and highway driving. Interestingly enough... the gas mileage increases dramatically when I hover over 100mph. I can get around 35mpg at that speed.

"But officer I was only trying to get good gas mileage!"

Well I still can not decide what to get next. But I still like having a mini van with the back seats removed. It has plenty of space for racks and has decent A/C for the candy, gum and sticky stuff. Also blends in with "the crowd" and no one really knows it's a vending service vehicle. Dodge has some Caravan models where all the seats fold into the floor and I belive they are now making a cargo version. But the mileage is not as good on those mini vans (16-18 MPG) as we would like with gas going to $5 per gallon. Still researching the overall quality of those Caravans, but Dodge has cranked out quite a few over the years. Just stay away from the old Ford mini vans (windstar, freestar) as they are a maintenance nightmare.

IMO you still can't beat the Sedona from Kia. 10yr/100k powertrain 5yr/60K bumper to bumper. Huge cargo room. No real issues.

I'm still leaning with the Ford Transit. I looked at one and it is plenty big enough for what I need to do. I really like the sliding doors on both sides and the overhead storage compartment. Several racks would fit with no problem's. I am thinking about adding roof racks just in case.

I'm still leaning with the Ford Transit. I looked at one and it is plenty big enough for what I need to do. I really like the sliding doors on both sides and the overhead storage compartment. Several racks would fit with no problem's. I am thinking about adding roof racks just in case.

It has plenty of room right now for me as well, but I can see where I could grow out of it too quick, not to mention the Nissan NV is not much more then the Transit.

This is my concern, no room when racks are installed.

post-1725-0-47890200-1304384808_thumb.jpg

Stopped by Nissan today while out servicing, the NV is off the chain. I'm a ways away from being able to justify this kind of payment but this thing is cool as hell. I really like the room in the cabin. The mileage was not on the sticker but salesman said it gets 17 miles to the gallon. Once these are out a year or 2 I'll be interested in what a used one will go for.

• 4 weeks later...

I certainly didn't purchase my vehicle with bulk candy vending in mind, but I use a Volvo V70 wagon. Works ok for transport of 2 units at a time.

About ready to buy another Sedona. The current one has 87K, but the new ones are awesome with leather. Convincing Tina to wait another year to buy a used one. You can't beat the warranty. The current Sportge we own does well, but the newer Sedona will outpace it shortly. Plus, I can fit 24 doubles in it with no problem.

Archived