Interested in Soda Machines

Determined

Hi! As the title says I'm interested in getting some soda machines. I've been doing bulk vending almost a year. I've had several locations ask me if I do soda machines, so I don't think locations would be a problem. I've read on here from time to time but can't seem to find answers to my questions.

What's the best way to start? Should I pick up a cheap machine off Craigslist to see if I can repair it and to learn how? How hard are they to work on? I would say my mechanical skills are average or a little better. Or should I buy a refurbished machine?

What if I get a machine with a card validator? How does that work?

The biggest concern I have is moving them. What's the best way? Do they rent vending machine dolly's? Pallet jacks? Can I move a machine by myself? I'm a big guy and usually work alone. Best way to transport them? Truck? Trailer? Something with a lift gate?

With a decent location could I expect to sell $50/ week?

I know nothing about soda machines so any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Kasey!

I've found quite a few great deals on Craigslist. $3-400 for a completely working and in good shape soda machine. If you have a bit of mechanical ability, you should be fine working in them. I've made most of my own repairs, actually heading out to do one now. 

I wouldn't worry about a card reader just starting out, but they can be added to most MDB machines in the future. 

Moving them is definitely a multiple person job. When I'm picking them up, I usually lay them down in the bed of my truck. If you do that, wait 24 hours to plug in so you don't burn out the compressor. When I'm delivering, I have a trailer and an appliance dolly along with at least 1 other person. A lift gate would be nice, but not a necessity. A pallet jack is a good tool to have. Once you have it on flat ground, moving it on a pallet jack is pretty simple. 

As far as sales, is going to depend on location, just like bulk. I'd stick with cans and shop around all the local stores, there's almost always a sale going on. Cans are easier the handle, have longer shelf life and usually have a better margin. 

I've found quite a few great deals on Craigslist. $3-400 for a completely working and in good shape soda machine. If you have a bit of mechanical ability, you should be fine working in them. I've made most of my own repairs, actually heading out to do one now. 

I wouldn't worry about a card reader just starting out, but they can be added to most MDB machines in the future. 

Moving them is definitely a multiple person job. When I'm picking them up, I usually lay them down in the bed of my truck. If you do that, wait 24 hours to plug in so you don't burn out the compressor. When I'm delivering, I have a trailer and an appliance dolly along with at least 1 other person. A lift gate would be nice, but not a necessity. A pallet jack is a good tool to have. Once you have it on flat ground, moving it on a pallet jack is pretty simple. 

As far as sales, is going to depend on location, just like bulk. I'd stick with cans and shop around all the local stores, there's almost always a sale going on. Cans are easier the handle, have longer shelf life and usually have a better margin. 

Totally agree! When I place a pop machine I also place one of those can redemption cardboard boxes right next to it. I use this money from the pop cans to donate to local charities. It gets businesses name out there and it assists with placing in my opinion.

This works extremely well with charities that frequently post on Facebook and have a fairly large following. They post that your local business donated money to their charity or organization and there thousand or so followers see it then just like that new leads start generating left and right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haunt CL for a good deal, try to stick to MDB machines (validator and changer connect together with a 6-pin plug) so you can upgrade to cashless later.  Older, single price machines are OK but after a while you have so many different spare parts to track it gets crazy.  A minimum location should be $50 a week, but smaller locations can be ok if you can spread out the services.  Good locations go 10 to 15 cases a month if you can get them.  Cans are the way to go, long shelf life EXCEPT for diet drinks, watch out for those. 

14 hours ago, Southeast Treats said:

Haunt CL for a good deal, try to stick to MDB machines (validator and changer connect together with a 6-pin plug) so you can upgrade to cashless later.  Older, single price machines are OK but after a while you have so many different spare parts to track it gets crazy.  A minimum location should be $50 a week, but smaller locations can be ok if you can spread out the services.  Good locations go 10 to 15 cases a month if you can get them.  Cans are the way to go, long shelf life EXCEPT for diet drinks, watch out for those. 

How do you move your machines? It's the biggest obstacle I can see for myself is moving the machine. 

6 hours ago, Determined said:

How do you move your machines? It's the biggest obstacle I can see for myself is moving the machine. 

I moved two machines with a landscaping trailer (with ramp) attached to a pickup truck.  We jack-strapped them to the trailer and transported the machines in the upright position.  We used an appliance dolly to move the machines.  I had one other person helping me.  It was heavy, but we managed with no injuries or damage.  Just make sure you empty the machines.  The machines were a Royal 804-9 and a Royal 650-10.  The 804 was much harder to maneuver because it is much taller.

A good trailer with a drop ramp works pretty well, we use large blocks to hold the tailgate up off the ground and extend the length with heavy plywood to make the incline easier.   Some U-Haul open trailers may be suitable.  There may be another small vendor in the area who will help you move equipment for a fee.  I  always take a second person, even a small machine is a lot of work by yourself.   The hard part is having the right moving equipment.  Good moving equipment isn't cheap but it's a good long term investment.  A light duty hand truck or cheap appliance dolly like you find at Harbor Freight will just get someone hurt.  If you are going to stay in the business you will eventually get a good appliance dolly, a set of what I call piano dollies, and a small pallet jack.  You don't need them all at once but they all have their uses.  You also need some long, heavy duty straps to secure the equipment during transit.  Here are some links:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1366/Pallet-Trucks/Uline-Pallet-Truck-Short-Narrow-Fork-36-x-21

Use this with 36 to 40 inch lengths of 4X4's to store machines so that you can move them around your warehouse, and on deliveries they work pretty well also.  One person can tip the machine enough for the other to get a 4x4 under or out from one side at a time.  Be very careful on inclines, be sure you have the jack handle positioned for best control.

http://www.stevensmfg.com/displaytruckdetails.asp?id=20

This is the appliance dolly I like.  A lot of people on here like Dutro trucks; I've never used one so I can't really say which is better.  If I were forced to transport a machine alone this is the tool I would choose.  Very stable and easy to control, you need to have the strength to tip it onto it's back wheels loaded and set it back upright.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120305893212?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is what I call a piano dolly; there are a lot of different models out there.  They are great if you need to "clamshell" a machine thru a tight doorway (move the machine with the door open to reduce it's width - ALWAYS takes two people at least). 

Information overload I know, try to find an experienced vendor to help you and teach you.  Good luck!

19 hours ago, Southeast Treats said:

A good trailer with a drop ramp works pretty well, we use large blocks to hold the tailgate up off the ground and extend the length with heavy plywood to make the incline easier.   Some U-Haul open trailers may be suitable.  There may be another small vendor in the area who will help you move equipment for a fee.  I  always take a second person, even a small machine is a lot of work by yourself.   The hard part is having the right moving equipment.  Good moving equipment isn't cheap but it's a good long term investment.  A light duty hand truck or cheap appliance dolly like you find at Harbor Freight will just get someone hurt.  If you are going to stay in the business you will eventually get a good appliance dolly, a set of what I call piano dollies, and a small pallet jack.  You don't need them all at once but they all have their uses.  You also need some long, heavy duty straps to secure the equipment during transit.  Here are some links:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1366/Pallet-Trucks/Uline-Pallet-Truck-Short-Narrow-Fork-36-x-21

Use this with 36 to 40 inch lengths of 4X4's to store machines so that you can move them around your warehouse, and on deliveries they work pretty well also.  One person can tip the machine enough for the other to get a 4x4 under or out from one side at a time.  Be very careful on inclines, be sure you have the jack handle positioned for best control.

http://www.stevensmfg.com/displaytruckdetails.asp?id=20

This is the appliance dolly I like.  A lot of people on here like Dutro trucks; I've never used one so I can't really say which is better.  If I were forced to transport a machine alone this is the tool I would choose.  Very stable and easy to control, you need to have the strength to tip it onto it's back wheels loaded and set it back upright.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120305893212?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is what I call a piano dolly; there are a lot of different models out there.  They are great if you need to "clamshell" a machine thru a tight doorway (move the machine with the door open to reduce it's width - ALWAYS takes two people at least). 

Information overload I know, try to find an experienced vendor to help you and teach you.  Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed information!

Why not just rent a truck with a lift gate. is is really not very expensive and much safer.  As a women moving the machines alone at times was a little difficult but doable.  Just need the right equipment.  Don't really recommend doing it alone but with the right stuff you can do it.  Dock to dock is a piece of cake.  Remember to bring along a couple of 2x4 to put behind the machines.  We use to keep a stack of them on our trucks so they were available. That prevents people from pushing them back against the wall preventing the compressor from getting air.  If you are moving snack machines you can place them under the snack machine while moving it.

Archived