Need Help Identifying this Dixie narco machine and is it a good deal

thenewguy

update smh

so I plugged the machine up put some sodas in all 6 of the slots

and two of the slots don't dispense

and while I had it open and on which I don't know If I should have done that any way

I saw sparks coming from the wiring between where the machine closes up

yea and the sparks turned into a small fire but I unplugged it quick before it could do any damage

ohhh boy I guess I should have just bought the referbed one

but by the time I'm done working on this one I should have it down packed

how hard is it to change the wiring on a dixie narco 276 coke series 60??

or should I just pay some one to do it

If you are going to stay in full line then you might as well learn how to do it yourself.

That's an easy fix. Best fix requires a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing with a heat gun. Cut open the harness and cut the burned wires, put on tubing, solder together and shrink the tubing on the splice.

Next best would be get some male and female spade connectors, cut open the harness and burned wires and attach the connectors and put them together.

The redneck solution is to cut open the harness and strip the ends of the burned wires, twist them together and wrap in electrical tape. ;D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are going to stay in full line then you might as well learn how to do it yourself.

That's an easy fix. Best fix requires a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing with a heat gun. Cut open the harness and cut the burned wires, put on tubing, solder together and shrink the tubing on the splice.

Next best would be get some male and female spade connectors, cut open the harness and burned wires and attach the connectors and put them together.

The redneck solution is to cut open the harness and strip the ends of the burned wires, twist them together and wrap in electrical tape. ;D

let me see if I'm on the right track with this do you think these will be good enough for the task or do you think I can just buy the wiring for less and put it in my self

soldering gun kit

heat gun

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202102620/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=heat%20gun&storeId=10051

heat shrinking tubing

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202204319/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Splice%20Kit&storeId=10051

Stay away from the soldering guns....way to many watts.....go with a soldering iron.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?keyword=soldering+iron&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1

Dealing with small wires, a soldering iron is all that you need......and it's much easier to get into tight spots.

so I'm up early checking the machine out

and here are the wires that were sparking and catching on fire

all four of the small wires have little cuts over the plastic

but the large one seems to be intact

so I see that harbor freight is cheaper on the supplies about 21.27 before tax

soldering iron

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-watt-120-volt-soldering-iron-47887.html

heat gun

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-dual-temperature-heat-gun-572-1112-96289.html

heat shrinking tubing

http://www.harborfreight.com/10mm-x-5m-heat-shrink-tubing-98067.html

post-3838-0-40740000-1330522349_thumb.jpg

I would bet the wires the sparked go to the light ballast. If I am correct they are solid wire not stranded wire. Solid wire is like the wires installed in the walls of your home. Stranded wire is like the wires in a lamp cord lots of little wires all twisted together. You can only bend a solid wire a so many times before it breaks and you get sparks. If you find solid wires you will need to replace them with stranded wire any place it is likely to move when you open and closes the door.

The way lawyers are today I can’t believe Dixie got away without paying for a few fires.

PS Moving refrigerated equipment on its back or side is asking for problems.

Walta

I would bet the wires the sparked go to the light ballast. If I am correct they are solid wire not stranded wire. Solid wire is like the wires installed in the walls of your home. Stranded wire is like the wires in a lamp cord lots of little wires all twisted together. You can only bend a solid wire a so many times before it breaks and you get sparks. If you find solid wires you will need to replace them with stranded wire any place it is likely to move when you open and closes the door.

The way lawyers are today I can’t believe Dixie got away without paying for a few fires.

PS Moving refrigerated equipment on its back or side is asking for problems.

Walta

you sir were correct

post-3838-0-60478300-1331141967_thumb.jpg

so whats the best and quickest solution

buying another one and if so where would I get it from dixie narco?

or trying to solder each tiny wire back on?

I see where it runs to the plastic piece in the machine is going to be easy to take out

but it attaches directly to the bottom of the right light bulb and it looks difficult to get out.

ANY SUGGESTIONS Please

I should rename this thread Help the new guy refurbish a machine LOL

thanks every one

best and quickest solution, throw your machine up on craigs list and hope to cash in on the "theory of the greater fool"

now thats a thought LOL

I only paid 300 bucks for it so its worth trying to get it on the right track if I learn how to fix in the process that will prepare me for other machines in the future

I would get some butt connectors and a good crimping tool and just repair the wires. If the insulation is melted you may have to cut some of the wire back. Most lighting in Dixie's at the lights is done with splice connectors anyway.

I would get some butt connectors and a good crimping tool and just repair the wires. If the insulation is melted you may have to cut some of the wire back. Most lighting in Dixie's at the lights is done with splice connectors anyway.

so it doesn't matter if they get connected to the wrong wire?

about 3 of the small wires are completely cut/burnt

You need about 8 feet of lamp cord and 10 but connectors.

Get the old wires out of the tubes.

Get the new wires in the tubes.

Connect the new wires to the old ones close to the ballast.

Connect the new wires to the old ones inside the door where there are not likely to move.

Yes it does matter which wire connect where.

If you look at the ballast you should find a wire diagram.

Walta

finally got time from my bulk vending to get back to the soda machine

so I pulled wiring off today. I think I would catch hell trying to do fix on this one

going to email dixie narco and see if I can get a part number and price for it

hopefully its cheap if not I'm going to go ahead and try to patch it up

post-3838-0-85085000-1331660436_thumb.jpg

then after this I have to figure out why two slots won't vend

LOL In a sec I Will be able to break a soda machine down with a blind fold on

You only have half the lamp circuit in that photo. The ballast is still in the base of the machine.

Dixie is unlikely to have that assembly as they moved the ballast to the door in newer equipment.

Once you remove the ballast you will see the wiring diagram then it’s an easy fix.

Walta

You only have half the lamp circuit in that photo. The ballast is still in the base of the machine.

Dixie is unlikely to have that assembly as they moved the ballast to the door in newer equipment.

Once you remove the ballast you will see the wiring diagram then it’s an easy fix.

Walta

dude your so right its not even funny

dixie had to refer me to some one that sells old machines and he has to look at machines like it to find me a wire harness

going to take the ballast out this evening and give it a whirl

Post a photo of the ballast that shows the wires colors and I will find something close enough.

post-3838-0-39382400-1331913645_thumb.jpg

post-3838-0-35624300-1331913671_thumb.jpgpost-3838-0-38733200-1331913696_thumb.jpgpost-3838-0-82434200-1331913715_thumb.jpgpost-3838-0-53636900-1331913734_thumb.jpg

Walta

The worst part is getting the new wire in side the old tube so it is less likley to be damaged.

Walta

I was thinking just get heat shrinking tubing

post-3838-0-31852200-1331914126_thumb.jpg

three are cut and the other three are holding on by the burnt plastic so they will be easy to reattach

I am assuming your lamps HO type with an oval pin on each end.

Walta

6842202386_9e635facf9_m.jpg

ok so the yellow would be to the top light ho

and the blue and red would be to the bottom

am I correct

I am going to have a rough time with the plastic wrapped around it to trace the broken wires smh

ohh well let me get to work stripping the top down

Archived