The NAMA OneShow?

I went to the show and I found it very beneficial, my main focus in going was to research Micro Markets and I got a lot of information about them, so hopefully in the near future I can start operating one. I was hoping to find a good option for a frozen machine, I was buying the National 455, then I went to the AMS, and neither of those are available anymore, the only options are the fastcorp, and the USI, which both have a lot less capacity then what I am used too. USI didn't even have a dedicated frozen machine at the show, just their combo Cold/Frozen machine. I was told by Crane that I can still get their AP frozen machine which is the way I am leaning right now. I also looked at Vendos new glass front drink machine that they hope to have available by the end of the year, it looks better than the Vue, but still not up to the caliber of the Dixie or the Royal, although the one thing that I have always liked with the Vue is the ability to pull out the shelves to load the product, and that can still be done with the new machine, and each shelf now has 9 selections instead of the 8 the Vue has, but I will not be on the waiting list to get the first one of the line. It's always nice to get a lot of goodies to bring home also.

What kind of goodies did you get? If the show is in Chicago next year, there is a better chance I'd be able to go.

What kind of goodies did you get? If the show is in Chicago next year, there is a better chance I'd be able to go.

Next year's OneShow will be held April 9-11-2014 at Chicago's McCormick Place, Lakeside Center.

I was hoping to find a good option for a frozen machine, I was buying the National 455, then I went to the AMS, and neither of those are available anymore, the only options are the fastcorp, and the USI, which both have a lot less capacity then what I am used too. USI didn't even have a dedicated frozen machine at the show, just their combo Cold/Frozen machine. I was told by Crane that I can still get their AP frozen machine which is the way I am leaning right now.

Hi wheelermj,

I have been looking at options for frozen machines aswell but the choices are definitely becoming more limited. I am currently using the USI Combi SAT but I believe that they will be unavailable soon as USI have decided that they will only continue with the 3532 standalone unit.

I am also still looking at options with remote monitoring systems & cashless payments. I know you are using inOne as your provider & am wondering if you are still happy with this decision?

I got a feeling from a comment you made in another thread that you were impressed with the developments that USATech have made in this area.

I guess what I am wanting to know  is... If you were starting with RMS & CP over again would you still choose to go with inOne or do you think that there are better options now available with USATech or Cantaloupe etc..  

Hi wheelermj,

I have been looking at options for frozen machines aswell but the choices are definitely becoming more limited. I am currently using the USI Combi SAT but I believe that they will be unavailable soon as USI have decided that they will only continue with the 3532 standalone unit.

I am also still looking at options with remote monitoring systems & cashless payments. I know you are using inOne as your provider & am wondering if you are still happy with this decision?

I got a feeling from a comment you made in another thread that you were impressed with the developments that USATech have made in this area.

I guess what I am wanting to know  is... If you were starting with RMS & CP over again would you still choose to go with inOne or do you think that there are better options now available with USATech or Cantaloupe etc..  

I have had my issues with InOne, when I got their card readers, I ordered the smart card readers and paid extra for them, but the smart card readers have had issues reading certain cards so I have had customers say they have to swipe their cards 10-15 times to get them to read. They have sent me their standard card readers to swap with the smart card readers until they can get me new smart card readers that work properly. So I am glad they are working with me to resolve the issue, but its frustrating to have to install a card reader 3 different times in a machine. InOne is also not as far advanced as USA tech is with their card readers, they are working on it, they just aren't there yet. Things that USA Tech does that InOne does not yet is Google wallet, ISIS, Paypal, and NFC. I don't think that I am losing a lot of sales by not having these additional features, but if I am going to pay for technology, I would like to stay on top of it for when the demand is there for those features. I have not recently looked at Cantaloupe systems because of their cost. When I first started researching remote I contacted cantaloupe and told them that I would like to buy a device to try out, and they told me that their starter package was for 100 units and would cost around $30,000. They wanted me to spend that kind of money without even giving me the opportunity to try it out. After that, I focused more on InOne and USA Tech, but at the time USA Tech didn't do anything with remote monitoring other then send you the raw dex file and I really wanted the alerts that USA Tech could not provide. I don't know what alerts USA Tech has now, but if you are paying for remote monitoring and not getting alerts, then you are not getting your moneys worth.

I have had my issues with InOne, when I got their card readers, I ordered the smart card readers and paid extra for them, but the smart card readers have had issues reading certain cards so I have had customers say they have to swipe their cards 10-15 times to get them to read. They have sent me their standard card readers to swap with the smart card readers until they can get me new smart card readers that work properly. So I am glad they are working with me to resolve the issue, but its frustrating to have to install a card reader 3 different times in a machine. InOne is also not as far advanced as USA tech is with their card readers, they are working on it, they just aren't there yet. Things that USA Tech does that InOne does not yet is Google wallet, ISIS, Paypal, and NFC. I don't think that I am losing a lot of sales by not having these additional features, but if I am going to pay for technology, I would like to stay on top of it for when the demand is there for those features.

Hi wheelermj, 

Firstly I would like to thank you for your input on this subject.. it is much appreciated! :rolleyes: 

I am interested to know why you decided to purchase the smart card readers instead of their standard card readers?

The reason I ask is because here (by-law) we can only use smart card readers for unattended payments on vending machines because of our merchants security standard but I wasn't aware if your security standards were becoming similar to our universal standards.

Because of this I would be very interested if you can keep me updated on whether the problems you are having with the VPOS smart card reader gets resolved when they send you the new readers.

Can you tell me which cards people having problems with.. Visa, MasterCard, American Express?

Again.. thanks for your help!!

Hi wheelermj, 

Firstly I would like to thank you for your input on this subject.. it is much appreciated! :rolleyes:

I am interested to know why you decided to purchase the smart card readers instead of their standard card readers?

The reason I ask is because here (by-law) we can only use smart card readers for unattended payments on vending machines because of our merchants security standard but I wasn't aware if your security standards were becoming similar to our universal standards.

Because of this I would be very interested if you can keep me updated on whether the problems you are having with the VPOS smart card reader gets resolved when they send you the new readers.

Can you tell me which cards people having problems with.. Visa, MasterCard, American Express?

Again.. thanks for your help!!

We went with the VPOS because they do have a higher level of PCI compliance and also because I was trying to plan ahead of the technology and be able to accept any forms of payment that a customer would like to pay with. I am told that the problem with the card reader is the position of the mag reader, they are supposed to have some new ones coming in that they will send me as soon as they are in to see if it works. It;s really been hit and miss with the card readers, I have some VPOS readers that will process 600 transactions a month, so it doesn't seem to be all the readers. Or maybe the customers at those locations are just more persistent and will swipe until it gets accepted. I have got complaints from all types of cards, it makes a difference on how much wear is on the card, and how big the stripe on the card is.

We went with the VPOS because they do have a higher level of PCI compliance and also because I was trying to plan ahead of the technology and be able to accept any forms of payment that a customer would like to pay with. I am told that the problem with the card reader is the position of the mag reader, they are supposed to have some new ones coming in that they will send me as soon as they are in to see if it works. It;s really been hit and miss with the card readers, I have some VPOS readers that will process 600 transactions a month, so it doesn't seem to be all the readers. Or maybe the customers at those locations are just more persistent and will swipe until it gets accepted. I have got complaints from all types of cards, it makes a difference on how much wear is on the card, and how big the stripe on the card is.

So do your customers only use the mag strip for cashless payments or do they also have the option if inserting their EMV capable smart cards into the EMV slot?

We are unable to use mag strip readers here as our security standards only allow us to use EMV credit & debit cards for unattended payments. If we were to use mag readers we would also need to have a keypad so customers could enter their 4 digit PIN number.

Do credit cards & debit cards in the US come with EMV chips in them?

So do your customers only use the mag strip for cashless payments or do they also have the option if inserting their EMV capable smart cards into the EMV slot?

We are unable to use mag strip readers here as our security standards only allow us to use EMV credit & debit cards for unattended payments. If we were to use mag readers we would also need to have a keypad so customers could enter their 4 digit PIN number.

Do credit cards & debit cards in the US come with EMV chips in them?

We are using mag stripe only, I don't know if an EMV card would work in the smart reader right now or not. I know one of the sessions I went to at the NAMA show they were talking about EMV and it growing in the US, but I have only seen a couple EMV cards so far, and no one has tried, at least to my knowledge to pay by sticking it in the EMV slot. The EMV cards that I have seen also had a mag stripe on it.

We are using mag stripe only, I don't know if an EMV card would work in the smart reader right now or not. I know one of the sessions I went to at the NAMA show they were talking about EMV and it growing in the US, but I have only seen a couple EMV cards so far, and no one has tried, at least to my knowledge to pay by sticking it in the EMV slot. The EMV cards that I have seen also had a mag stripe on it.

I found this info on EMV cards on wikipedia...

In many countries of the world, debit card and/or credit card payment networks have implemented liability shifts. Normally, the card issuer is liable for fraudulent transactions. However, after a liability shift is implemented, if the ATM or merchant's point of sale terminal does not support EMV, then the ATM owner or merchant will be liable for the fraudulent transaction.

United States 

Visa, MasterCard and Discover in March 2012 - and American Express in June 2012 - have recently announced their EMV migration plans for the US. In spite of these announcements, doubts remain over the willingness of merchants to develop the capability to support EMV.

• American Express is implementing a liability shift for point of sale terminals in October, 2015. For pay at the pump, at gas stations, the liability shift is October, 2017.
  •  
  • Discover is implementing a liability shift on October 1, 2015. For pay at the pump at gas stations, the liability shift is October 1, 2017.
  •  
  • Maestro is implementing a liability shift of April 19, 2013, for international cards used in the United States.
  •  
  • MasterCard is implementing a liability shift for point of sale terminals in October, 2015. For pay at the pump, at gas stations, the liability shift is October, 2017. For ATMs, the liability shift date is in October 2016.
  •  
  • Visa is implementing a liability shift for point of sale terminals on October 1, 2015. For pay at the pump, at gas stations, the liability shift is October 1, 2017. For ATMs, the liability shift date is October 1, 2017.

So I guess... even though more & more countries are moving towards EMV chips on credit cards this step is still awhile away in the US. Do all "new" credit cards that are issued have EMV chips in them? I can see this being a problem for US travelers in EMV adopted countries as you wouldn't be able to use your credit card here to pay for something unless it had a EMV chip.

At least you will be prepared for this when the time comes because you are already using the VPOS smart card readers.

How much more did you have to pay for them compared to their standard mag stripe reader?

I think I paid around $120 for my card readers, I already had the remote boxes installed in my machines, I don't know how much the standard readers cost. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

• 10 months later...

We should make the OneShow a TVF annual event.. mission would come if I brought him a few Shinner's

Moondog would show for any beer.. we could all get drunk & start talking Cajun to each other  ;D

I'm not sure yet.  I haven't gotten a hotel booked nor have I gotten a ticket for the event.  I thought I saw something in the past where students can attend the event for free but I don't know how well that would apply to me.

Anyone know how much it should cost for the ticket and how much a REASONABLE hotel will cost?  I would only stay Wednesday and Thursday night, followed by a 5-hour drive home on Friday.

Archived