Is this to far to service machines

dannie

I've got a chance to get a account with 5 machines in another city which is about 100 miles away. Each machine would be placed at a nursing home. Actually it would be 5 snack machines and 5 drink machines. I have one in another nursing home that does really good. Any input.

Not recommended for beginner, intermediate or advanced levels of vendors.

I agree. While I do not know if there are any red flags with this "deal" that you are referring to, I wouldn't take up a nursing home deal with 5 locations that far out of my way. They might make good revenue but they might not. They might be troublesome. However, the worst part is that they will almost surely cost you a lot of upfront capital and having one problem with one of those 5 accounts could result in losing all 5 accounts and still having to pay for the capital! I would go for a deal that had 2 locations.

I have plenty of experience to deal with these situations, I just don't have the capital and it's not worth the risk to me!

They are good locations. Each facility is has about 100 residents in it not counting staff. My family owns the nursing homes so its not a big chance I would lose the location. I have a freind in the resturant business thats wanting to go in it half on it with me and help keep it serviced. I do a nursing home now that does good.

It kind of sounds like you are going to do the deal regardless! If that's the case, go easy on the equipment purchase and have at it. Just be ready to deal with the fact that to service the 5 locations would basically take you all day, due to the commute.

I just have to think that at more than 200 miles round trip (not counting the route itself which is going to add more mileage) at $3-4 per gallon, getting probably 10 mpg on the vehicle, wear and tear on the vehicle, etc.....just those things alone would have to make me ask how profitable it could be to make it worth it for all that?

• 2 weeks later...

Im in a similar situation but I am in houston and have been getting alot of calls from Austin from good accounts. I am thinking of having a friend service them that lives in austin and go up maybe once a month or since I am always there anyways. Austin is abuot 162 miles from me. I figure I could preorder product for him to pick up and he was just need to service and do deposits etc.

I tried servicing a chain of nursing homes with one location 55 miles from our base. It was a mistake. The sales were good but each time a coin jam happened or they were out of their favorite product we had to drive up there to take care of it. That one location ate us alive making the other 3 barely break even accounts.

Archived