Does Anyone Ever Plop a Machine Down W/O Permission in Locations with Lots of Machines?

rogersmith

Do you have a link to what you printed out? If not, does anyone have a link to a list of charity vending programs and how they work?

Thanks!

Link to the 20/20 episode?

Thank you!

that 20/20 episode was way back.. i dont know where youd find it..but it has been discussed before and i remember seeing it along time ago.

as far as links you need to just start contacting the charities and ask for a vendors kit..I think some are listed in the links here on vendiscuss.. i believe the nccs is as i have seen it mentioned in other threads...others are hugs not drugs,dream factory, lost children (dont know the exact name) and others..Most all have same plan for sponsorship of a buck a month..

These are great charities and do great work, there is a special place in heaven for these folks...They raise tons of money this way so one can say its a great cause. I dont see a problem with it except that most locations think the charity actually gets all the proceeds from the machine, and the customer (who is actually the one donating to the charity) thinks when they place coin in machine it is going to charity also..Im not discounting the charity at all,and if they operate their own vendors program then im sure that entire $1 is not further chopped up by a secondary company operating their "vending outreach program"..

I understand its capitalism and people have to get paid or the wheels stop turning. (let me step on my high horse now)Just the dishonesty of a vendor misrepresenting him/her self as doing charitable work and actually making money is what i frown on

now if the machine is labeled "This machine donates $1 a month to this charity,help me to support them!"

and when the locator calls and they say "I would like to place a machine in your establishment, it costs you nothing and for doing this I will donate a $1 a month to this fine charity." now that would be honest!

and NOW the person saying slamming is wrong says ..."Hmmm Hmmm, let's change the subject and move on now boys!" lol

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

point taken..i agree its not just one bad apple in the barrel, just making my point as I dont think its the baddest apple in the barrel..

I have had those same instances on me also, with people slamming on top of me..but since i am a commission operator and not charity anymore i just put their stuff in the closet or in the back room and then explain to location about how the charities work.. I have a folder with all the sales material from almost all of the charity vending programs out there..I always show this to locations while im locating or if a charity locates one of my stops..

ron

I'm a charity operator and I show all of my locations the exact same materials so they know up front that only a % of the sales goes to the charity. I spell it out very clearly that I'm NOT the charity and I'm not doing this for charity, I'm running a business and my goal is to make money. A great benefit is that some of it goes to a great cause.

I think there's a role for charity vending as long as you don't misrepresent yourself. And most of the good but not great charity locations - a rack & commission vendor wouldn't waste their time with anyway.

I'm a charity operator and I show all of my locations the exact same materials so they know up front that only a % of the sales goes to the charity. I spell it out very clearly that I'm NOT the charity and I'm not doing this for charity, I'm running a business and my goal is to make money. A great benefit is that some of it goes to a great cause.

I think there's a role for charity vending as long as you don't misrepresent yourself. And most of the good but not great charity locations - a rack & commission vendor wouldn't waste their time with anyway.

You are doing it the right way if you lay it all out for the locations.

I'd like to think I'm doing it the right way, too.

Sadly, though, there are some who don't do it the right way.

And, as ronsidney put it, it doesn't take many bad apples to ruin the bunch.

In general, the low entry cost and the fact that bulk vending is an all-cash business draws a lot of unsavory characters into this industry.

This realization is why I started to look at the negative rep bulk vending gets as an obstacle to overcome rather than a stigma I would try to change.

In general, the low entry cost and the fact that bulk vending is an all-cash business draws a lot of unsavory characters into this industry.

This realization is why I started to look at the negative rep bulk vending gets as an obstacle to overcome rather than a stigma I would try to change.

Other than higher entry point point full line is not much different.

I dont have any charity. All My places that are non commission get nothing and I dont have a charity. Every pitch I make is either "what do you think about having a machine hear that doesnt cost you anything. It ads value to your business because it is a nice treat for some one to have a gumball, or toy or handfull of candy on the way out or as they wait....." Most places dont care if it is for a charity they want good service so why complicate things. There are alot better ways to give back to the community.

I think some of the commision operators who tell the locations they give them 50% are far worse than someone who slams a machine.

I tried this yesterday. I placed a machine in a Mall in the vending area. It's the most empty one I've eve seen. One drink machine and 2 massage chairs. Weird, I know. I place my machine and this morning I get a call from management, telling me to pick it up at the office. She tells me they have to have insurance and so forth. People are vigilant to see that nobody makes any money around here. LOL I gave it a try anyway.

I tried this yesterday. I placed a machine in a Mall in the vending area. It's the most empty one I've eve seen. One drink machine and 2 massage chairs. Weird, I know. I place my machine and this morning I get a call from management, telling me to pick it up at the office. She tells me they have to have insurance and so forth. People are vigilant to see that nobody makes any money around here. LOL I gave it a try anyway.

Only time i was able to get into malls by slamming was break rooms for stores employees and sometimes in like a hallway where there is a bathroom and fortune teller type machines etc. Some of those break rooms did great with peanut mm's.

I really targeted public places as there is no real boss of the premises. A mall does have management as well as large department stores.. but say a Jail or a courthouse or a hospital there really is no one in charge that has right to tell you yes or no.. So if there are charity machines there already then they where slammed ,period! they either got slammed by a guy in a long trench coat with hat and dark sunglasses, where he walked into corner where no one was and pulled machine out of his trench coat(this is me)... Or by that good ol boy that had his locator tell him to deliver a machine to this place because the secretary's secretary's part time assistant's nephew that picked up the phone that day gave the locator permission.

same deal, it was slammed!!

I havent done this in a long long long time as i gave up on singles and doubles way back..but every town has about 3-4 public institutions that require slamming if you want them placed.. a large city has dozens and more.

ron

I would think for the county courthouse the County Commissioner could say yea or nay. But then again geniuses at our court house they had the Sheriff investigate when somebody took some mail. That somebody turned out to be the mail man. So I could see potentially getting away with it.

I doubt a courthouse would be a good location to slam.it is a practice that should be avoided.I had to jump thru hoops to get my courthouse location

Did you mean that you had to jump through a shootin hoops? Wow, Houdini would be proud!

I know, pretty corny humor. :rolleyes:

I doubt a courthouse would be a good location to slam.it is a practice that should be avoided.I had to jump thru hoops to get my courthouse location

when i was doing this, over 10 years ago i might ad, i had i bet 50 different courthouses in TN,KY, MO and souther IL.. I never got permission for any of them..had a problem here or there, like machine put in closet when i arrived or a call asking me to remove it.. but for most part they sat there for years until i picked them up later to put on my bottom row of racks i was putting out.

ron

In my opinion people that slam machines are in the same category as those that count money in the van or mislead charity locations. As a professional vendor ron Sydney you shouldn't encourage people to slam machines

How to get the location in the courthouse I had to go to a board meeting and convince them that I wasn't going to be like that other vendors they had in there. I had to get permission from the sheriff first and then go to the board meeting

In my opinion people that slam machines are in the same category as those that count money in the van or mislead charity locations. As a professional vendor ron Sydney you shouldn't encourage people to slam machines

How to get the location in the courthouse I had to go to a board meeting and convince them that I wasn't going to be like that other vendors they had in there. I had to get permission from the sheriff first and then go to the board meeting

Im sorry it seems to you like im encouraging someone to do anything.. This is just a forum not a coaches meeting,, we speak about what we know (or don't) and im just giving insights on what is happening.. whether someone does it or not i could care less.. Im not a "professional vendor" in the sense i have any thing to gain by training new recruits, Im not "coaching" the newcomers and getting them to join my club ... There is no club or ranks or pros and novices..just a bunch of guys talking about what they do..

You do it your way and ill do it mine.. Your opinion of what you think is right or wrong is just that ,your opinion! there are no laws in vending nor a guidebook or a franchise agreement you have to adhere to to be a bulk vendor.. so my way is just as much "THE LAW" as yours...

ron

There is no club or ranks or pros and novices..just a bunch of guys talking about what they do..

And yet it DOES read "Professional" under your name and avatar while it does not under the names/avatars of others.....just saying.

;D

Frankly I don't think he gives a d@mn. And I must admit it gets kind of old listening to some of you sit on your high horse and try to preach ethics. I with Ron on this you do it your way and ill do it mine.

By the way this is not just about this post

Frankly I don't think he gives a d@mn. And I must admit it gets kind of old listening to some of you sit on your high horse and try to preach ethics. I with Ron on this you do it your way and ill do it mine.

By the way this is not just about this post

Personally I like Ron sharing his stories as they often make great discussions about differing views and business practices. If I was a bulk vendor I couldn't imagine engaging in this sort of behavior, but to each his own. People get to read these threads and then decide for themselves how they are going to run their business.

Let me also add this, I don't see people talking about good ethics and business practices as "preaching on their high horse" either, just sharing their viewpoint as everyone is welcome to.

If I was a bulk vendor I couldn't imagine engaging in this sort of behavior, but to each his own. People get to read these threads and then decide for themselves how they are going to run their business.

Let me also add this, I don't see people talking about good ethics and business practices as "preaching on their high horse" either, just sharing their viewpoint as everyone is welcome to.

Exactly.

That's pretty much what I was saying waaaaaaaay back in post #42.

Almost thirty posts later, I think we've come full-circle...maybe more than once. B)

I agree that your not professional .I am sure that by posting that you did something wrong and and got away with it will surely encourage others NOT to make your same unethical choice,but yeah , your right , your not coaching anyone.I am sure all the newcomers that read this wont think that if a "professional"engages in that type of behavior why shouldnt they?We will have to agree to disagree that putting machines in locATions without permission is the right way to go in the vending industry.I will NEVER do something so unprofessional.

I agree that your not professional .I am sure that by posting that you did something wrong and and got away with it will surely encourage others NOT to make your same unethical choice,but yeah , your right , your not coaching anyone.I am sure all the newcomers that read this wont think that if a "professional"engages in that type of behavior why shouldnt they?We will have to agree to disagree that putting machines in locATions without permission is the right way to go in the vending industry.I will NEVER do something so unprofessional.

Maybe i need to go get that degree you have hanging in your office ,the bachelors in bulk vending operations...and maybe get the state board of vending to grant me my license like you must have..

or....i can say it again..your opinion of professional ethics or unprofessional ethics is just in your mind and mean NOTHING in the real world. what you deem as right or wrong is twisted to satisfy your opinion of what should or shouldn't be done and means nothing..

I personally think its unethical to put a charity sticker on a vending machine period!! unless 100% of proceeds go to that charity. some people think its ok as long as location knows it or they put in small fine print the deal..Thats bull and they know it...

so for a example in your courthouse say my unmarked machines sitting right next to your Marked charity machine and customer had his/her choice to put a quarter in mine or say yours with your charity sticker..He choose your machine and that customer thinks he just gave a quarter to that charity because of that sticker!! permission or not or whatever, the ethics of what just happened is wrong as that is the CUSTOMER that got deceived,not the location owner, the location owner doesn't have a dog in this race as he is neither customer or salesmen.

my opinion is that any newcomer should know what is happening in the real world of vending.. they can travel whatever path they want, and i will not hold any stops as i don't do it anymore so i don't have any "turf' i wanna protect.

ron

I`m sorry but whats wrong with that mainor and kelly,NOT THAT I WAS PREACHING ANYWAYS??do we "hang out" so you know me and or have any real reason to believe I am unethical??one would think that common sense would be enough to understand that putting a machine in a location without permission isn`t how it should be,regardless if the location is attended or unattended.the fact alone that the slammers search for locations without anyone in charge should help understand that they are doing something wrong.if theres nothing wrong with it why isnt this done in all locations and a more common practice in this industry?? how many slammed machines do you 2 have on your route?

Reading this just puts me in the mood to do some guerrilla locating, something tells me I won't lose any sleep over what a couple people on a vending forum think of me.

I had a very rough nite myself,the thought of you guys slamming machines kept me up.I hope I can over of what a bunch of strangers think of me.

Reading this just puts me in the mood to do some guerrilla locating, something tells me I won't lose any sleep over what a couple people on a vending forum think of me.

If you do, please let us know how that goes for you.

A thread entitled "Vending Reports from a Guerrilla Locator" with regular updates would make for some fascinating reading and would detail a part of the vending industry a lot of us never experience first-hand.

I know I would surely appreciate you sharing the info.

Archived