Does Anyone Ever Plop a Machine Down W/O Permission in Locations with Lots of Machines?

rogersmith

Be cAREFUL. i GOT PUT ON MODERATOR REVIEW FOR USING THE WORD **SHOLE

Actually, your review status was ushered in by your repeated use of a different word. However, I hope your warning to Tyler is heeded.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, your review status was ushered in by your repeated use of a different word. However, I hope your warning to Tyler is heeded.

I stand corrected kind sir! In the future I will refrain from such words. I do enjoy and get alot out of this forum. In my humble opinion, it is the best vending site ever!

Does/can slamming affect the full line vending folks?

Nope,  it's a little bit tricky to sidle in with a soda machine and 20 club packs of soda to fill it without somebody noticing - at least in the good spots (the one's with people around)

I have seen vending machines installed without permission in apartment complexes.  This has happened between two feuding vendors here who were constantly taking each others locations, where one vendor would simply move the machines out of the way, cages and all after cutting the locks, and put theirs in place.  These two guys went back and forth over a couple of locations and have gone to court against each other.  It's really stupid and ridiculous. 

I saw another complex where one of these two vendors had Coke install a machine in another vendor's location without permission or a contract.  The slamming vendor then cut the power cord off the original vendor's machine.  They replaced the cord with an armored cord and it was cut off again.  They finally got the apartment management to remove the offending machine.  I'm surprised there haven't been physical crimes against some of these guys yet but things seem to have quieted down now.

That's one hell of a story! But, I was thinking about bulk candy. Say if you found a location that lacked a candy like m&m's, slammed down a machine and turns out it does well, because the customers are now going to the bulk machine instead of a snack machine because of convenience?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have done this, and I will do it again. I have 2 hospitals.

1)

I was contacted by the hospital kiosk, which I paid commison to for a while, until the hospital wanted the non approved machine removed. (But I turned it into a pop deal instead on a 3 year contract with no comission) It made 125$ a month. It makes more with a pop machine.

2)

Emergency room at a very, very large hospital, I just went there 14 months ago, and placed it, looking comfident. No one has ever asked, but the nurses like it when I bring them treats. They are always surprised but happy. And I just say. Yea, its from the candy machines. = Ohh Thanks a lot. (Big smiles) It makes 150$ a month.

I serviced it today, 200$ in 5 weeks, and while filling it, a doctor running by just said: Great fresh candy.......... I rest my case.

---------------

But not all hospitals are like that, some of them have everything under control, my approch is I ask my wife or farther, what he/or she things about placing a machine there at the hospital, and they say do it. If anyone asks who approved it, I simply give them their name. What do they know, 1500 people works there! They just say well im the boss, and I dont think its a good idea. No problem, I remove it, with the 100-150$ in it, no matter what I still get paid.

So far I tryed 3 goverment hospitals, and got to keep 1.

1 had a central vendor agreement and booted my machine, but they were very nice about it. (left with 150$)

1 not so much. (took 1 day, got the phone call) - Always label your machine, you want it back if they dont want it there.

1 I have had for 1 year, 2 monts and counting and I put in an extra double last month. (now double + triple)

I do get butterflys every time I service, but what a kick when I am back in the car. Since I pay taxes, its as much my hospital as anybody else, so asking a nurse or my wife, makes no difference. So if you need permission, just ask somebody.

Most of the time the person you ask dont have any right to allow it anyway...

And dont worry about security, just ask them to hold the door or something, your there on business, REMEMBER! :o)

That! is hilarious! especially when I read it to my wife. I couldn't breath.

So to sum it up it would be a SERIOUS law suit just trying to be clear.

So besides moonlighting as a lawyer , judge and jury do you have any useful vending info to share? Here we share ideas, and tips. We help each other build a great business. We don't normally threaten a law suit on ESP on the first visit. We all read your post and I don't think you scare anyone. If you have real vending experience please share.

Personally, I think he is giving good advice and it wouldn't hurt to know this also.

Although this might not make me more popular. There is only one word for this. Stealing.

But then again I don't care about being popular.

stealing what?? care to elaborate?  its no more stealing than putting a "garage sale" sign on the corner of your street advertising your garage sale or putting flyers on a windshield in a parking lot advertising your new business..

every customer puts in their quarter and gets their product, but if location tosses your machine in the dumpster because it was placed without his permission then you cant cry foul either.

just as its been explained over and over and over but people have "selective hearing" when it comes to locating slamming is a general term and you have probably done it  yourself..

have you ever asked a location to place a machine and the person giving the YES was just a assistant manager or manager on duty? then you have slammed a machine

have you had a locator locate for you and give you a location list and you just went and delivered machines based on their list, dropped it off and left? then you probably have slammed a machine. Ill elaborate on this as i have talked to numerous locators over the years and thats their #1 tactic for new vendors as if they get order of say 20 locations etc its really easy to fill that list by going to every car lot, break room etc. in a area where no ACTUAL decision maker exists and other vending machines are in the location already and just adding it to your list of "located" accounts without ever even talking to anybody!

this is a dead horse and only reason I'm even commenting is I'm bored and waiting on my pizza to get here.

• 2 weeks later...

An assistant doesn't have the authority. They're easy to convince, most don't know the rules. Most in person locators or ones without morals will do this and give 10% extra instead of a warranty so they can move to the next customer. It's fast money and draws a certain crowd.

Not all are like that, but that's how locators get the reputation they have.

Archived