FSI 3056 product hang-ups

Golfdogs

I am having an issue with product hanging up in these 18 select snack machines. I have turned spirals and used product kickers with little success. I very carefully 'lay' the packages in so the shoulders of the bags do not get hung up on each other, but they seem to get stuck on the door. It has become a real nuisance. Advice, please.

I had a FSI 3014 that did that. For awhile I thought my customers were just asking for false refunds but after I swapped the machine for an AP the problem stopped. In the interim I did flip a couple of the coils and it seemed to work but I never really left the machine there long enough to verify the success of that option. It seems like they always work when you're standing there.

The bigger problem is customer perception - once a machine gets a bad rep people tend to avoid it.

Ps, Try moving your product pushers about 2" back from the end of the coil. A pro refurbisher gave me that tip a couple of months ago

I am having an issue with product hanging up in these 18 select snack machines. I have turned spirals and used product kickers with little success. I very carefully 'lay' the packages in so the shoulders of the bags do not get hung up on each other, but they seem to get stuck on the door. It has become a real nuisance. Advice, please.

Is it single or dual spirals that you have? If it is dual you may want to try just putting pushers on one side (right spiral) so that the product gets pushed out on an angle & also place your wide products on the outside selections with a narrow product in the center so that they don't catch.

It is a single spiral. I will try moving the pushers away from the end. Of course it works when I try it, but I do see stuck product when I get there. I would love to put a guaranteed vend system on this machine. Any suggestions?

The age of the machine isn't worth putting on a delivery sensor. Can you post pictures of the product that is getting stuck and how the machine is filled?

I'm thinking it is at least partly a loading issue. A pic would clarify the problem that you are experiencing. In the meantime a couple of suggestions....

1. Be sure that you are "tucking in" the lower left corner of the bag into the auger so that the bags are parallel to the glass and not angled at it. Also make sure the bags are leaning back and not forward.

2. If the bags are catching on the bag in the next row over then alternate tall and short bags. Lay's then Cheeto's then Funyon etc.

I will post pictures the next time I am back there. I am very careful to 'tuck' the items. They all lay back and I do alternate the bag heights. It is a small machine and I think that is most of the problem. I might move it to another account that I can give them a key (the owner is a good friend of mine) and replace it with a machine that has ivend already installed. Just hate this this getting the better of me.

You need to test this product fill the spiral lock the door vend it dry repeat 3 times. If you see a failure make and adjustment and test again until you can get throw 3 rows of product without failure.

A delivery monitoring system will only hide your problems!

If you are trying to vend the wrong size or shaped product from that type of spiral it will not work.

A delivery monitoring system will insure your customers get a product or their money back but it will likely cost you 2 or more products when it does its job. Some run the motor full revulsion. Others run a ¼ revulsion at each attempt leaving spirals out of the home position with product vulnerable to shaking. To make matters worse smart customers will not use selections that are out of home with product out of position. Some machine will lock out selections with too many repeats.

Regardless of brand the vender takes a loss every time this circuit is activated.

I have yet to see line in the MIS report that tracks this loss.

Walta

You need to test this product fill the spiral lock the door vend it dry repeat 3 times. If you see a failure make and adjustment and test again until you can get throw 3 rows of product without failure.

A delivery monitoring system will only hide your problems!

If you are trying to vend the wrong size or shaped product from that type of spiral it will not work.

A delivery monitoring system will insure your customers get a product or their money back but it will likely cost you 2 or more products when it does its job. Some run the motor full revulsion. Others run a ¼ revulsion at each attempt leaving spirals out of the home position with product vulnerable to shaking. To make matters worse smart customers will not use selections that are out of home with product out of position. Some machine will lock out selections with too many repeats.

Regardless of brand the vender takes a loss every time this circuit is activated.

I have yet to see line in the MIS report that tracks this loss.

Walta

Good points on the guaranteed vend systems. Hadn't thought of that angle. I appreciate your point of view. I need to find the time to camp out with this machine and make it work the way I want it to.

I've had a similar problem with a machine (FAS Duetto Young) that has one column almost behind the coin mech cover. I think I've finally fixed it basically by doing what moondog mentioned earier.

The problem was intermittent and always occurred when a product with little weight fell forward from the coil - ie the top of the bag hit on the coin mech cover before the bottom of the bag was pushed off the end of the line by the spiral.

I reduced the occurrence of this by loading in heavy (200g (7oz) bags rather than 45g (1.6 oz) chips) but this still occurred sporadically.

Experimenting by moving the product pusher so it pushed the bottom of the bag, rather than the spiral pushing the top/sides, seems to have finally cured it (touch wood). Now the bottom of the bag leaves the shelf before the top has a chance to fall over, and the product falls vertically.

Certainly worth a try with your machine.

Had to go to the full version to be able to post pictures...

The first 2-3 bags vend fine. It is the bags further back in the row that tend to get hung up after they 'relax'.

Geez...here is the before photo.

post-5601-0-87094700-1356182733_thumb.jpg

post-5601-0-09696400-1356182762_thumb.jpg

post-5601-0-22963500-1356183089_thumb.jpg

Maybe it is the photo but the spiral looks to be a candy diameter not the larger chip size.

I generally like to see the corners tuck in as you have them now but in this case try product in on top of the spiral so the spiral is in the center of the product.

I think you can advance the spiral stop point try about +30 to 90 degrees release the hub from the motor and reinstall it in the new location.

Walta

Had to go to the full version to be able to post pictures...

The first 2-3 bags vend fine. It is the bags further back in the row that tend to get hung up after they 'relax'.

Geez...here is the before photo.

I can't quite see from the photos but do you have your pushers facing outward? If not, they're useless

The pushers are facing out, I moved them away from the end of the spiral, like you suggested Moondog.

Walta, these are chip spirals, 12 count. Since this is a two wide machine, the rows are not quite wide enough. I will try turning the spirals and see what happens.

The pushers are facing out, I moved them away from the end of the spiral, like you suggested Moondog.

Walta, these are chip spirals, 12 count. Since this is a two wide machine, the rows are not quite wide enough. I will try turning the spirals and see what happens.

The Doritos may be a bit to big for a 12 pitch (count) spiral. If you have any 10 pitch (count) spirals you may want to try them in those & see if they vend better. Another option is to do what Walta suggested & adjust your auger timing. You could try having it finish at 3 o'clock instead of 6 0'clock.

If the same problems are still happening after doing all this I would replace the single spirals with dual spirals.

I've had this same machine and problem. One thing to do is to remove the shelf stop screws on the selections that have a bag tall enough to catch on them. Just gotta be careful when pulling the shelf out to load so you don't pull it far enough that it falls out.

Next, like Walta said, pull the hubs and augers out of the motor, rotate the hub/auger assembly 30 degree or so and reinsrt into the motor. There is no way to adjust the motor timing so this is the only way to change the stop position of the auger. Try it in several different positions until you find the one the works best.

You do not have full width chip columns with that configuration. What you have is a GF12 cabinet that should be used with narrow product in that configuration. To vend full size chip bags you should reconfigure the trays to have a candy column and a chip column on the tray. You simply have the wrong setup for what you are trying to vend. A standard chip column is about 5 inches wide and a candy column is about 2.5. Your columns are about 3.75-4 inches wide. A compromised configuration on a small cabinet. Look at the way the M2000 is configured.

http://technivend.com/brochures/usi/Mercato_2000.pdf

You do not have full width chip columns with that configuration. What you have is a GF12 cabinet that should be used with narrow product in that configuration. To vend full size chip bags you should reconfigure the trays to have a candy column and a chip column on the tray. You simply have the wrong setup for what you are trying to vend. A standard chip column is about 5 inches wide and a candy column is about 2.5. Your columns are about 3.75-4 inches wide. A compromised configuration on a small cabinet. Look at the way the M2000 is configured.

http://technivend.com/brochures/usi/Mercato_2000.pdf

1wonder if my trays are configurable like that. What should I be looking for?

You should be able to. It shouldn't be hard. Look at this manual (it isn't for your machine but it dies show the metal trays) http://vendnetusa.com/wfdata/files/4215330_GF-GVC1.pdf. After you change it you could try using your existing augers but you may need to cahnge them to larger ones as well as add the shelf bottom to keep the auger centered.

You should be able to. It shouldn't be hard. Look at this manual (it isn't for your machine but it dies show the metal trays) http://vendnetusa.com/wfdata/files/4215330_GF-GVC1.pdf. After you change it you could try using your existing augers but you may need to cahnge them to larger ones as well as add the shelf bottom to keep the auger centered.

thanks for your help. I will look into this and let you know how it goes! Merry Christmas!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived