Is this thing worth it?

donut

The machine is a Rowe 5900. Rowe parts are very hard to come by now, primarily any sheet metal part. The weakest link in any Rowe snack was the delivery door and its linkage. New doors haven't been available for years so they have to come off of junked machines. I see that this one has been upgraded to a Coinco validator - good. The shelves are out of order - easy to swap. It will need selection and price labels. It may have an opening in the front decal exposing the credit display - bad. It looks like it has sat outside for a long time under the roof with rain runoff on it. There is rust on the front of the shelves. It looks like one of my customer's accounts where he stupidly put a indoor-only rated machine under a roof. Rain runs onto it and shorts out his credit display. I had to replace the display and display overlay that was cracked from the sun.

Only if this machine powers up and the logic board goes "ding" after it boots up should you even give $100 for this. Otherwise offer to haul it away for free.

Not to dispute AZ, who's pretty much a master at this stuff, but I've got a 4900 that looks just like this one right down to the gum display. When you turn it on, the 5900 will have a blue display while on the 4900 it will be red.

If you buy this machine Donut, you could be in luck as I'm partsing a 4900 for cheap right now - but ooh those handling costs are going to cost you ;D

I might call the guy and look at it.... It'll give my wife something to yell at me about....

Moondog, tell you what... you can bring any parts I need up here and I'll buy you lunch :)

Walta, could I just make labels for the display?

I'm thinking that if I could get it running, maybe I could turn it around and make a few bucks? I dunno how much it would be worth in refurbished condition...

IF you could get it working u might be able to get 400-800 (high end would be someone who didn't know better) but with parts the low end could be only break even money id pass

DC,

Donut likes a challenge so your post probably sealed the deal ;D

I might call the guy and look at it.... It'll give my wife something to yell at me about....

Moondog, tell you what... you can bring any parts I need up here and I'll buy you lunch :)

Walta, could I just make labels for the display?

I'm thinking that if I could get it running, maybe I could turn it around and make a few bucks? I dunno how much it would be worth in refurbished condition...

So I'm supposed to drive 500 miles to deliver a bunch of parts for a machine that should be in a museum? And you'll buy me lunch?

And people call you cheap (I mean frugal).

Dogcow hit it on the head - don't waste your time.

Ps. Did you ever pick up that Royal the guy was giving away for free? (talk about cheap)

So I'm supposed to drive 500 miles to deliver a bunch of parts for a machine that should be in a museum? And you'll buy me lunch?

And people call you cheap (I mean frugal).

Dogcow hit it on the head - don't waste your time.

Ps. Did you ever pick up that Royal the guy was giving away for free? (talk about cheap)

Ok, ok... you make a valid point Moondog.... I guess I'll have to buy you lunch AND dinner.... ^-^

I sent email to the guy with the Royal, but didn't receive an answer.... I also noticed the posting had been taken down a few hours later, so I must not have been fast enough....

And you're right mission, I like a challenge... I'm still thinking I could make a few bucks with this machine.... I might not make much for the labor, but as long as I come out ahead, it might still be worth it....

Archived