Battle of the Locators

adog

Depends...would you classify this as a "family" barber shop or a good 'ol boy barber shop? Those are two different animals. Were ANY of the 14 people waiting when you went in there under the age of 18? Much of what I'd recommend depends largely on your first pull. If it's a good ol boy shop, switch out one of your candy heads and put in salted peanuts immediately. Trust me. Generally, I steer WAY clear of nuts because the COG is outrageous. But if your demographic is a bunch of guys over 45 years old, you'll sell enough to justify it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just my thoughts

Going in at 25% comission is pretty high. After you add in your cost to serve and COG i dont think there will be much room left.

25%+30%+5%=60%

Thats saying your cog is 30%. You should team up with a charity and get your butt in there for FREE.

Do you have or have you had commission locations in the past?

If so, what percentage were you paying?

20%-30% is very typical for locations worth paying commission in.

Day #10

Nothing really new to report about! I received no new locations from either LRU or Kickstart although both assured me that they were looking and both apologized for a few locations rejecting me. I gave LRU now thee exact same zip codes I gave Kickstart so we will see how they compete. Before I have Kickstart three zip codes as to LRU i gave them one with a 5 mile radius. So now they have the exact same map range so we shall see who will win the majority of my business.

I wish both were more consistent and got definite "YES'S" however both have been decent. I would say Kickstart is way in the lead so far with LRU trailing behind. Kickstart has gotten me two great locations! WIll be upgrading one to a rack and am pretty sure will be eventually upgrading the other one to a rack as well. Both small racks however (4 ways)! as to LRU has gotten me two smaller auto shops which could be killing it however I doubt it. I must say one auto shop had a terminator in there with about ever candy compartment empty but who know the last time this guy serviced it. I will be checking on them one of these days this week and then will start a monthly cycle! I really hope Locator R Us steps up their game after Candy King's raving reviews!

Do you have or have you had commission locations in the past?

If so, what percentage were you paying?

20%-30% is very typical for locations worth paying commission in.

I have had one locations with a 30% commission. I pulled it due to just not making enough. What i am really trying to say is there is no reason for a triple head in my opinion to be commission. If a triple does 100 bucks a month that is great. I know there is a time and a place where i will have to pay but i don't feel a triple is it. There is just not enough meat on the bones when you start hacking away.

Day #11

LRU came through with another to locations today. Will be dropping them off tomorrow morning hopefully. Two more auto shops. One is like an off road jeep place so it will be interesting to see how it does. Nothing new from Kickstart. I contacted them again today and they assured me they were working on my account. However no new locations in two days. Seems they treat new customers good and then slow down. If tomorrow goes good

LRU:4/6

Kickstart: 2/3

LRU took 1st place with these two new locations with Kickstart trailing behind slightly! I am hoping they come through with two more tomorrow! We shall see.

Day #12 Still Nothing from either locators. Although LRU did get me two locations yesterday. I went and did my one week check on the machines and LRU and Kickstart both got me one great location. My vendstars did about 8 dollars for each one in 5 days which I am happy about! Way more then I thought. I was more surprised this one car shop did so much in that little time. Every time I go in I see no one waiting so I am wondering if the staff is eating it.

I find it sad Kickstart can't close one last location for me. They started out super strong and seems as if they just forgot about me! I have contacted them twice and they assured me they were looking but nothing yet! LRU still seems to be working and am going to drop off two machines to the locations they got me yesterday!

Results

LRU:4/6

Kickstart:2/3

LRU is in the lead with four locations! Kickstart just dropped off the radar! Falling behind!

Well I apologize I didn't post yesterday.Anyways I ended up placing two locations LRU sent to me yesterday and received a new location yesterday morning from LRU as well at some hair dresser beauty salon place. I swung by but the manager/owner wasn't in. I also had to drive up to AA Global Industries and pick up some equipment and then build a rack last night so by the time I was all done it was like 11:30 at night lol. Anyways the results are

LRU:5/6 (if I place the beauty Salon)

Kickstart: 2/3 (seems they dropped off the radar, going to email them)

Self Locating: 1 rack (if it goes in today hopefully!)

LRU is way in the lead now. I have been working with them for a few weeks now but they keep the locations coming! The got me 4 last week but two of them were denied but they happily sent over new ones and they sent me another three this week as well. I am impressed with their services and honestly they have good communication with me. I always get an email right back now and sometimes within 10 minutes. Kickstart on the other hand seems they have forgot about my last order and unless they want me to put a dispute on my paypal and freeze all the money they better get their butts on my order!

Ps. I was on craigs list and found pam. Had some location found and was looking to sell. It was a little to far for me though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've decided to bring in All Star Locators. This new locating company so we shall see how they do. As Well I have hired Pam to locate for me. She is currently out of town however but said she will also locate a rack through cold calling. We shall see how these two new locators do. Have to say I am loving All Star Locators prices but if they can't locate in a decent amount of time what does price matter right?

Kickstart also finished my order with them. Honestly I have found that you just have to keep on them constantly. Once I threatened to put a hold on my credit card they called me we talked and I gave them a new area code. Anyways they found me one spot but it was unacceptable! So today they found me another one at a phone store. Anyways they talked to the actual owner and they gave me his private cell phone and the owner told them he has an additional 10 stores that he needs machines in as well. Wow I am impressed with Kickstart. Also Kickstart has gotten me my best locations yet as well. 

I located a rack as well by myself. 

I'll keep you updated on the new locators. Just have been super busy lately!

They don't know me. So I began following up with locations with the mindset that no agreement has been made yet. Asking them if they recall the conversation they had with the LRU rep (if I'm talking to the contact person) and if they are still interested, asking what vendors they currently have and if they would mind if I bring a machine on Tuesday around 3pm to take a look at it. Reminding them there is no cost or contracts to sign, etc. A softer approach.

There is, of course, no way to know for sure if this has gotten me more locations that I would have otherwise been told to go pound sand. But I think approaching my callbacks with the mindset that LRU didn't "get" me a location, they only got me an opportunity to sell a location on why having a machine would be good for their business - that I'm having more success.

From what you are saying IMO it would just make sense to open the phone book and pick up the phone yourself! There shouldn't be any need to pay a locator!

From what you are saying IMO it would just make sense to open the phone book and pick up the phone yourself! There shouldn't be any need to pay a locator!

I do!  I'm not sure where the mindset came from that you must EITHER self-locate OR use locators.  I do both.  In fact, I keep a notebook of leads to call and I give locators the same list of businesses.  If they get it for me I'm happy to pay the money and if I get it, even better!  We make such a big deal out of the cost of locators when we're talking about 1-2 months gross.  If that's a stop I wouldn't have gotten myself I'll pay that fee all day long.

I agree that if you are giving them a list to target then that is great. It isn't going to hurt anything to have a locator working on some locations that you are working on yourself. I guess I don't find it valuable to just rely on any location they provide. I used a locator when i was first starting out with candy machines but i have since moved to rack and amusement so I having been locating all of that myself. Sorry, i didn't mean for it so sound like an attack!

No offense taken at all Nate.  You always have great takes when it comes to bulk.  If you're placing as many machines as you have time for on your own, no need for a locator.  I've had locators get me into places I've called myself (and was turned down).  Maybe they just phrased it in a different way or the manager was in a mood on the day I called, who knows.  But when it happens I'm more than happy to pony up to the locator. 

Well I must say I am not very impressed with either of the new locators. I feel Pam is on her own time when locating. We had one day scheduled where she would come out and locate a rack and she never did. Then she said she would locate a rack phone calling but still hasn't. Not very impressed at all. 

As to All Pro Vending Locators as well I haven't heard anything from them. I believed I placed my order last tuesday and have not heard one peep from them. Doesn't even feel like I placed a order with both of these companies lol. I'm still waiting for them to come through.

When I have some free time coming up I am going to self locate my own racks. Ready to cancel my orders with both companies. Maybe Pam is only good at locating in person... I'm not sure but I know when a business says they are going to do something and you make arrangements they show up and follow through! And Maybe All Pro Locators bit off more then they could chew (handle) for a new locating service. I have failed to here one review from any members saying they have placed their racks from a location given from All Pro Locators. 

Well I must say I am not very impressed with either of the new locators. I feel Pam is on her own time when locating. We had one day scheduled where she would come out and locate a rack and she never did. Then she said she would locate a rack phone calling but still hasn't. Not very impressed at all. 

As to All Pro Vending Locators as well I haven't heard anything from them. I believed I placed my order last tuesday and have not heard one peep from them. Doesn't even feel like I placed a order with both of these companies lol. I'm still waiting for them to come through.

When I have some free time coming up I am going to self locate my own racks. Ready to cancel my orders with both companies. Maybe Pam is only good at locating in person... I'm not sure but I know when a business says they are going to do something and you make arrangements they show up and follow through! And Maybe All Pro Locators bit off more then they could chew (handle) for a new locating service. I have failed to here one review from any members saying they have placed their racks from a location given from All Pro Locators. 

Yeah, your experience with the in-person locator sounds like a bust.  Sorry you're having to deal with that - win some/lose some.  In regards to All Pro Vending, I don't think you're giving them a fair shake.  Heck, they just started the thread "Need a locator, try us" on May 5th.  8 days ago.  But it's your money and you have every right to hold them to whatever expectation you want.  That's the beauty of a free market.   

Yeah, your experience with the in-person locator sounds like a bust.  Sorry you're having to deal with that - win some/lose some.  In regards to All Pro Vending, I don't think you're giving them a fair shake.  Heck, they just started the thread "Need a locator, try us" on May 5th.  8 days ago.  But it's your money and you have every right to hold them to whatever expectation you want.  That's the beauty of a free market.   

True maybe I have not given them enough time. Maybe I have. I have never done phone locating so I could not expand on that. I do understand it takes a lot of time and patience and ALOT of calls!!! I have done in person locating and have already located one rack myself. The only thing I wish is that they had better communication. Gave status updates and what not. I have found hat it takes very little effort to send a 20 word email saying,  "Sorry we have not found a location yet but our staff is on it. Currently we are looking into X type business. Thank you for your understanding!"

And I have heard Pam does amazing and is a very good locator. That is why I am actually very shocked. Maybe I'll try to contact her one more time when she's in town again. We shall see if I locate these racks myself lol!

The only thing I wish is that they had better communication. Gave status updates and what not. I have found hat it takes very little effort to send a 20 word email saying,  "Sorry we have not found a location yet but our staff is on it. Currently we are looking into X type business. Thank you for your understanding!"

Would that really give you piece of mind though?  To me, that would just get annoying because do you realize how easy it is to set up an automated client messaging system set to a default along the lines of, "Hello _(name)_.  We realize it has now been _x_ days since you have placed your order with us.  Rest assured our locators are working blah blah".

To me, I guess it's just understood that they don't have a location for me until they have a location for me and they're working on it.  I appreciate that they're not unnecessarily emailing me until they have an actual location.  But again, to each his own.  

I saw give them some more time!  We are all anxious for more spots.  But good quality, legitimate locations take time.  Besides, there is no deposit.  So they make no money until they deliver.  So I can't get to worked up since they aren't holding any of my money.

Archived