climate controlled storage units

Hi everyone, I am considering buying a route that consists of mostly soda and snack and also some bulk machines. From a meeting I had yesterday with the owner, there are 10 locations of full line and about 8 bulk (they are getting a list of the exact breakdown to me). My question is it a reasonable idea to store candy/snacks in a climate controlled storage unit? I really want to get this deal rolling, but at the moment it will be challenging to find a place to store that much product in my house so that the product doesn't melt or be subject to insects or other critters. Thanks in advance for your replies. 

Hi everyone, I am considering buying a route that consists of mostly soda and snack and also some bulk machines. From a meeting I had yesterday with the owner, there are 10 locations of full line and about 8 bulk (they are getting a list of the exact breakdown to me). My question is it a reasonable idea to store candy/snacks in a climate controlled storage unit? I really want to get this deal rolling, but at the moment it will be challenging to find a place to store that much product in my house so that the product doesn't melt or be subject to insects or other critters. Thanks in advance for your replies. 

I store candy in my house - as long as you don't get over 80 degrees you'll be fine.  Unless you've got a rodent problem, snacks can go in the garage.  A gutted snack machine works well as a storage cabinet if you do have a rodent problem - just seal any openings with sheet metal.  I find that it's best to have most of your inventory in your machines as stuff doesn't sell too well in storage.

Are you going to have a dedicated business vehicle or work out of your personal car?  I have a van and that is my rolling warehouse, with chocolate items in a large cooler - ice packs in the bottom and plastic bins... change the packs daily and pull the cooler into the house on days off to dry the bottom and air out... so no need to have a storage unit.  The cost of a climate controlled unit over time would probably be more than a good used van, but you have to factor in insurance, tags, etc.... and you avoid tearing up your family car.

Most storage places have rules against storing food,for good reason. I left a full snack machine at my warehouse for a month when I emptied it, the snacks had been eaten by...something. the culprit remains at large

Most storage places have rules against storing food,for good reason. I left a full snack machine at my warehouse for a month when I emptied it, the snacks had been eaten by...something. the culprit remains at large

Some illegal mice?  

And when they finished the buffet they went and took a long nap in the couch being stored in the unit next to yours. ;D

Archived