Anyone do nerd gumballs?

RikaKazak

So I got a two headed machine for free, and 1 side is made for candy, other for 1" gumballs (or jawbreakers or whatever).  I was thinking about doing 1" nerd gum.  Personally I LOVE IT (probably eaten at least 50 in my life) but I was curious if there were any pitfalls I wasn't thinking of.

Found them on amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Nerds-Candy-Center-Gumballs-850/dp/B000QV2H0E/ref=pd_sim_gro_1

Looks like they're going to be about 7.5 cents per gumball after adding in shipping.  Do these guys go bad quickly?  I heard gum lasts a long time, but never vended it myself.  Any pitfalls I might not be thinking of?  Good or bad idea?

Suggestions?  Comments?  Any input is great appreciated :D

what are you basing the too expensive comment on?

i know that the amazon price is very high, but does anyone here buy there bulk stuff from amazon

i heard that nerds is only a penny or two more expensive per gumball than the dubble bubble if you get it from the right places

however, nerds has a uniqueness factor, which may increase impulse sales.

whether the extra impulse sales are worth the extra cogs, thats up to individual operators to decide

You have a point with it having a uniqueness factor. Like I said, I've never had it myself to know how unique it really is.

Maybe I should have used the word "more" instead of "too".

I have tested filled gumballs before and didn't see any difference in sales. Personally I thought they were better and expected to see a jump in sales. Therefore I didn't see a justification in the extra cost. Whether it was .01 or .03 extra it all adds up. Different people have different experiences and opinions.

By all means test it for yourself. But if sales really don't spike one way or the other, personally I wouldn't spend the extra on Nerds when DB or BK does just as well.

i heard that nerds is only a penny or two more expensive per gumball than the dubble bubble if you get it from the right places

You don't happen to know any of those "right places" do you?

It is hard to believe wholesale suppliers can't beat an Amazon price.

Yet, that price on Amazon is not all that much higher than what A&A was selling the Nerds GB for a while back.

A&A listed the 850ct at $43 last year....I can't imagine prices have come down.

Thanks for the input guys, this sort of discussion is exactly what I was hoping to generate ;)

Anyone else please feel free to chime in :D  Anyone ever test nerd gum vs. DB and see how much more it sold? (if it even sold more)

(100% of my idea for using the nerd gum is just because I LOVE IT! personally, but of course, that doesn't make it a good business decision ;) )

Thanks for the input guys, this sort of discussion is exactly what I was hoping to generate ;)

Anyone else please feel free to chime in :D Anyone ever test nerd gum vs. DB and see how much more it sold? (if it even sold more)

(100% of my idea for using the nerd gum is just because I LOVE IT! personally, but of course, that doesn't make it a good business decision ;) )

Personally what I feel is most important in selecting which gum to use is what is the softness and cost.

When someone sees a gumball machine they say ooh I want a gumball, not what kind of gumballs are those.

I wouldn't use the cheapest possible gum because many times it is hard. No one likes hard gumballs. Most of your customers will be one time customers. The fastest way to ensure that you don't get repeat customers is selling hard gum. Many times they will not buy next time and even sometimes the attendant will even stop a customer from buying and say "oh don't buy that, they are hard and stale!"

On the other hand if you sell a fresh, soft gumball not only will you have one time customers you will even get repeat customers or people who work where your machine is placed will frequent your machine.

That being said, Nerds potentially could do well for you IF you have repeat customers, because that's when what you are selling makes the most impact.

But to test and find out how well the gum does in your machine in your location is to buy 1 box of XYZ brand and track your collections and see how long it takes you to go through 1 box. Then buy 1 box of Nerds and simply change the product card and again see how long it takes you to sell out. Stick with whichever one works best. I truly feel it is personal preference and different locations may see different results.

Good Luck!

If you want the uniqueness based impulse sales, I'm thinking that special flavors like root beer float from dubble bubble might also work

Agreed to bad there is not A&W Branded GB's

These are current prices excluding shipping since that is an unknown variable. Many people will warn against buying GB's at Sam's due to freshness, but here is an apple to apple or GB to GB comparison. With a few machines the difference isn't much to worry about, although every bit counts. However, with a route of 100+ machines would really impact the bottom lines!

850 ct @ .25 $212.50gross

. Cost / Unit / Profit

A&A Global

BK $28.59 .034 $183.91

DB $28.88 .034 $183.62

ND $43.00 .05 $169.50

SAMs

DB $20.16 .024 $192.34

If your selling hard gumballs then you are not checking the quality of the gumball at every location on every service cycle. Never should you have hard gumballs. It also pays to keep an eye on the expiration date, even though that doesn't make a bit of difference sometimes. I've used nerds in the past and have worked out well for me. Since then I changed to DB and found no difference in sales. Last I pd for nerds from AA was I think $43 per case and I picked them up in MD saving me some money on shipping costs.

I bought a route that the previous owner stocked all machines with Nerds gumballs.  I have some places that do extremely well and they tell me specifically that they love the Nerds gumballs.  If I changed to another type of gumball at these locations my sales would probably drop by at least 50% and I would have unhappy customers.  Keep in mind that the majority of sales I make, and I am sure this is true for others, are from the workers who are there everyday and put a dollar or two in the machine at a time.  I usually keep Nerds in a machine if there are other machines in that same location that stock Dubble Bubble or another type of gum.  If I have a location that does average I usually change out the Nerds to a cheaper type of gum.  In these cases I have not noticed a decrease in sales.  Some people just want a gumball and some people want a specific type.  The only way to really find out what is best for individual locations is by trial and error.  To put this amount of effort to determine the best product can mean the difference between a mediocre route and a great route.  It is also the difference between a person who just wants to sit around and collect some money every once in awhile and a person who wants to maximize their profit. 

I have purchased them from Amazon before and they came out to about 7.1 cents each.  The other place I have purchased them from is abcvendingproducts.com and they came out to about 6.6 cents each.  I have ordered a few things from ABC and could go either way with them.  They messed up my last order but we came to a resolution that was satisfactory.  I am sure there is a cheaper place to buy them but I have not found it yet.  My routes are no where near the size where it would be cost effective to buy a pallet of them.  At 6.6 cents per gumball you would have to sell almost three times as many Nerds gumballs to make up for the price difference between the Dubble Bubble gumballs at 2.6 cents.  I have some of these locations that make is worthwhile for me to continue stocking Nerds gumballs.

I have purchased them from Amazon before and they came out to about 7.1 cents each.  The other place I have purchased them from is abcvendingproducts.com and they came out to about 6.6 cents each.  I have ordered a few things from ABC and could go either way with them.  They messed up my last order but we came to a resolution that was satisfactory.  I am sure there is a cheaper place to buy them but I have not found it yet.  My routes are no where near the size where it would be cost effective to buy a pallet of them.  At 6.6 cents per gumball you would have to sell almost three times as many Nerds gumballs to make up for the price difference between the Dubble Bubble gumballs at 2.6 cents.  I have some of these locations that make is worthwhile for me to continue stocking Nerds gumballs.

At that COG it makes it hard to sell at .25 if you are just testing the market.

Not knocking you Relentless because I understand you have a sure-fire location where those nerds sell very well.

Pleasing the customer is what you are doing and that's smart since they continue to buy.

But, for someone like me, I don't think I would test the market for Nerds at that cost.

I don't know that Nerds would be worth the gamble at double the expense over DB.

Too many vendors around here have seen minimal sales impact when comparing gourmet GB with standard gumballs.

Heck, a lot of vendors think an .07 cog on TOYS should be a .50 item...that's an even stronger argument for something with as short a shelf-life as GB have.

At that COG it makes it hard to sell at .25 if you are just testing the market.

Not knocking you Relentless because I understand you have a sure-fire location where those nerds sell very well.

Pleasing the customer is what you are doing and that's smart since they continue to buy.

But, for someone like me, I don't think I would test the market for Nerds at that cost.

I don't know that Nerds would be worth the gamble at double the expense over DB.

Too many vendors around here have seen minimal sales impact when comparing gourmet GB with standard gumballs.

Heck, a lot of vendors think an .07 cog on TOYS should be a .50 item...that's an even stronger argument for something with as short a shelf-life as GB have.

28% before freight on gum yikes

This is my wheelhouse. It is what I do. I have over 200 heads out with Nerds gum in them. There are only a handful of locations where I have assorted gum still. Side by side, nerds gum outsells assorted 3 - 1 easily. Locations where I am the only show in town that have been switched to nerds gum have shown minimum 20% growth. It is usually higher. When I get a minute, I will see what I can get the gum to you for. I am positive I could beat their prices. I get nerds for almost the same price as dubble bubble.

If you want to get it yourself, try getting together with some vendors in your area and get a pallet order together. This is how you bring the price down.

This is my wheelhouse. It is what I do. I have over 200 heads out with Nerds gum in them. There are only a handful of locations where I have assorted gum still. Side by side, nerds gum outsells assorted 3 - 1 easily. Locations where I am the only show in town that have been switched to nerds gum have shown minimum 20% growth. It is usually higher. When I get a minute, I will see what I can get the gum to you for. I am positive I could beat their prices. I get nerds for almost the same price as dubble bubble.

If you want to get it yourself, try getting together with some vendors in your area and get a pallet order together. This is how you bring the price down.

If your getting nerds for around 20 a case you need to post the source. I have never seen them that cheap ever. We have done nerds but did them at .50 and they did fine. You should try some at .50. May slow sales by 25% but you double the margin

If your getting nerds for around 20 a case you need to post the source. I have never seen them that cheap ever. We have done nerds but did them at .50 and they did fine. You should try some at .50. May slow sales by 25% but you double the margin

Oakleaf price list have 850ct nerd gb at $30 per case

Archived