Big problem with DN368

donut

I have a DN368 machine that has never given me any issue.  Have a BA30 validator with a coinco coin mech....

Last week, I was informed that the machine quit taking bills.....  Due to my (real) work schedule and the business hours of the establishment, I couldn't get there that day.  I got a call the next day and was told that coins didn't work anymore either.....  The way it sounds is that it WAS taking coins on the day they called me, and the next day it wasn't....

Finally got to the machine yesterday.  I found a can stuck in slot #6, so I unjammed it (after unplugging the machine).  Made sure all the motors were in home position, then tried everything.  No bills accepted.  Tried coins, and nothing either.  Ok, figured something wrong with the mech....  Got a replacement and installed it (yes, I unplugged the power to the machine while doing it), and left the bill validator unplugged from the mech....   Put change in...  everything going fine until I hit $1, the amount I have set for the machine.  When I hit $1, instead of hearing the credit relay "click" like normal, I instead hear a "pop" and see some sort of flash from the mid-left side of the mech....  Hmmmm, that's a bad thing....  And of course, the credit relay didn't "click" and thus I can't make a selection....  Try to put more coins in the mech, and they just fall thru....  I figured there was something wrong with that mech beforehand (it was an old one that I hadn't used for quite a while)....  So, like an idiot, I stuck another mech in...  one that I know works...  same damn thing....  "pop" and a flash....  And of course, now neither coin mech appears to be working....  (obviously blew something)....

Any ideas on what may cause my issue?  Again, I have never had any issues with this machine since I put it in this establishment almost 2 years ago....  I checked for any bare wires and don't see anything obvious....  I thought it might be the credit relay, but after taking it out and looking at it, it appears okay....  Afraid to stick anything else in the machine for fear of making more co$tly mi$take$......

I have a DN368 machine that has never given me any issue.  Have a BA30 validator with a coinco coin mech....

Last week, I was informed that the machine quit taking bills.....  Due to my (real) work schedule and the business hours of the establishment, I couldn't get there that day.  I got a call the next day and was told that coins didn't work anymore either.....  The way it sounds is that it WAS taking coins on the day they called me, and the next day it wasn't....

Finally got to the machine yesterday.  I found a can stuck in slot #6, so I unjammed it (after unplugging the machine).  Made sure all the motors were in home position, then tried everything.  No bills accepted.  Tried coins, and nothing either.  Ok, figured something wrong with the mech....  Got a replacement and installed it (yes, I unplugged the power to the machine while doing it), and left the bill validator unplugged from the mech....   Put change in...  everything going fine until I hit $1, the amount I have set for the machine.  When I hit $1, instead of hearing the credit relay "click" like normal, I instead hear a "pop" and see some sort of flash from the mid-left side of the mech....  Hmmmm, that's a bad thing....  And of course, the credit relay didn't "click" and thus I can't make a selection....  Try to put more coins in the mech, and they just fall thru....  I figured there was something wrong with that mech beforehand (it was an old one that I hadn't used for quite a while)....  So, like an idiot, I stuck another mech in...  one that I know works...  same damn thing....  "pop" and a flash....  And of course, now neither coin mech appears to be working....  (obviously blew something)....

Any ideas on what may cause my issue?  Again, I have never had any issues with this machine since I put it in this establishment almost 2 years ago....  I checked for any bare wires and don't see anything obvious....  I thought it might be the credit relay, but after taking it out and looking at it, it appears okay....  Afraid to stick anything else in the machine for fear of making more co$tly mi$take$......

I'm not familiar with that machine but it sounds like a power supply problem to me - like the mech is getting too much voltage.  As you know, the validator won't work until you get the mech going.  Given that these guys have called you twice in a row, I'd get another machine in there if you can't solve it fast.

There is not a major power problem because the coin mech is not shorting until the relay clicks.  That means that it is getting power fine.  I'll admit I've never seen this problem before though.  It could be a bad relay, cut wire or bad connection, or it could even be a burnt out or damaged motor that is trying to run once the circuit is open, and overloading it when it tries.  I would try a sweeping combination of the following in order to eliminate as much as possible.  Like moondog said, the location has already had to call twice.

1.  Put a new relay in

2.  CLOSELY examine all connections on the relay and the coin mech plugs.  Fix anything that looks loose.

3.  Replace or disconnect what ever jammed motors you had when you first came in there.

4.  Unplug the ballast (down at the bottom right hand corner of the door.

5.  Examine all the motor wires, and especially examine the main harness at the bottom of the door.  Check for pinched or cut wires and fix them.

6.  If the machine is on an extension cord, take it off of it.  Connect the machine to another outlet if possible.

7.  If you want to be extra safe, unplug the compressor too and take even more power out of the line. 

If it still blows the mech after you've done all that, then there is probably a major wiring problem somewhere and it will take a while to find.  Try all that and see if you can at least get the machine up and running, then we can start adding things like the lights back into the circuit to see where the short is.

There is not a major power problem because the coin mech is not shorting until the relay clicks.  That means that it is getting power fine.  I'll admit I've never seen this problem before though.  It could be a bad relay, cut wire or bad connection, or it could even be a burnt out or damaged motor that is trying to run once the circuit is open, and overloading it when it tries.  I would try a sweeping combination of the following in order to eliminate as much as possible.  Like moondog said, the location has already had to call twice.

1.  Put a new relay in

2.  CLOSELY examine all connections on the relay and the coin mech plugs.  Fix anything that looks loose.

3.  Replace or disconnect what ever jammed motors you had when you first came in there.

4.  Unplug the ballast (down at the bottom right hand corner of the door.

5.  Examine all the motor wires, and especially examine the main harness at the bottom of the door.  Check for pinched or cut wires and fix them.

6.  If the machine is on an extension cord, take it off of it.  Connect the machine to another outlet if possible.

7.  If you want to be extra safe, unplug the compressor too and take even more power out of the line. 

If it still blows the mech after you've done all that, then there is probably a major wiring problem somewhere and it will take a while to find.  Try all that and see if you can at least get the machine up and running, then we can start adding things like the lights back into the circuit to see where the short is.

wouldnt it be a good idea to use a cheater cord instead of another mech. That way worst case scenario would be a fried vend switch on your cheater cord. Gotta get expensive to keep putting mechs in that thing.

Yes a cheater cord is the easiest way to test the vend circuit without blowing coin mechs. I too, think you might have a bad credit relay but try measuring voltage at the wall first - s/b 105 - 120V. Do the lights work? If so your voltage is okay. As mentioned you could have a wire shorted in the machine but I'd try a new credit relay and the a cheater cord before any coin mechs are put in now.

I ran into similar problem with same machine.  And what I did was replace the validator and upgraded it too a new mars validator seem to work fine from there.  But I'm not sure yours may go to a wiring problem or short.  Not long before validator I replaced mech bc was jack potting  so knew wasn't mech.    Hope you get it figured out soon.  

I preach cheater cords........... Without one you will be chasing your tail ......... 

Inspect the motor switches and all the wires going to each motor. Someone may have at some time changed a motor and got a wire under the mounting plate and now it has shorted out. Or they may have had the motor cover off and pinched a wire leaving it bare.

Run each motor by the switches and make sure they all run.

Check relay for burned spots

Check selection switches to be sure nothing has been burned or a bare wire touching metal. I once had a D/N that had been salted so bad the selection switches shorted and then free vended.

If all looks good change out credit relay. Since you don't have a cheater cord I would take coin mech to another machine and see if it is blown before plugging anymore in.

Check outlet with a volt meter. It could be if more than 1 machine is plugged into the outlet that the return has come loose and now you are grounding through another machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally found the problem in this machine.... Turns out the problem was one of the wires that leads to (or away from, whichever you prefer) the credit relay has been laying across the top of the T-handle shaft. Apparently it's been there a while, because the insulation on the wire was worn away from that one spot..... So when the correct amount is achieved, the wire must have been powered up and shorted out.

Note to self....... Pay attention to the routing of the wires....

Archived