budget trucks / level ride lift gate?

dogcow

last time i rented a budget truck it had a tuck away gate, the gate did not level properly. evidently this

is common with tuck away gates, some tilt, this one was set at about 30 degrees off level so all the equipment sailed off of it as it was lowered.

i am trying again from a different place, but also budget , tuck away gate. they have assured me it works right 

but does not know what im talking about ( level ride vs standard ride). does anyone know if they're gates are 

all like that (unlevel). I have tried penske which appears to offer gates that work right but there closed on the weekends. any help appreciated cause i can just blow off the reservation if its not gonna work right

All tuck under gates will have the platform angled down until the platform is at the top.  As you have found these gates are a pain in the butt because machines want to slide off.  The gate you're looking for is a rail-lift, but you will probably not find it on smaller trucks.  You usually have to reserve them way in advance as they are very popular.  Also, if the truck it's on is too large you might need a CDL to drive it.

Penske trucks have them.... on 24' trucks, have 5K lift capacity. Ask for the extended deck, they are tuck away or rail depending on what is available.

Not cheap to rent, I usually pay around 300 for the rental, mileage and fuel for the day.

You do not need a CDL to drive them.

Rental truck lift gates are crap shoot.

One time we load it at the dock without testing the gate got 4 hours out in the sticks the gate went down, but when the up button did not work. Needless to say we did not keep our schedule that day.

Another truck you press the down button the gate drops like a stone. So much so that the weight comes off the truck and it springs up the now frightened operator releases the down button. This gate stops moving down instantly and is now moving up with the truck. When the truck stops going up equipment on the gate keeps going up and is launched off the gate and deposited onto the parking lot below.

Do yourself a favor always test the gate before you leave the rental yard.

If you do not have a CDL be sure the truck is licensed for less than 30,000 pounds.

Walta

Guess ill just use my pickup trying to move my whole warehouse thought I could get it in one shot but the last time that slanted liftgate almost killed someone and destoyed a crane game. Penske isn't open on weekends around here. Thx fpr all the advice guys

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Is it possible to lay a snack or drink machine down on its back in the back of a pick-up truck? I dont have any solid tie down points and also am not sure how to get a drink machine standing up in the back of a pick-up! I figure this would be the safest way to transport the unit. In addition, I have a ferry to catch that charges for overheight vehicles. If I let the unit rest for a few hours before plugging it in to allow the oil to return to the compressor, is there any other damage that may occur?

Is it possible to lay a snack or drink machine down on its back in the back of a pick-up truck? I dont have any solid tie down points and also am not sure how to get a drink machine standing up in the back of a pick-up! I figure this would be the safest way to transport the unit. In addition, I have a ferry to catch that charges for overheight vehicles. If I let the unit rest for a few hours before plugging it in to allow the oil to return to the compressor, is there any other damage that may occur?

Yeah its probably ok, best way to transport is standing up if u move a lot of equipment get u a tommy liftgate,headache rack and some diamond treadplate in the bed ,this will allow u to move upright

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Though it's not professional and it's the hardest way to move machines, you can lay then in the bed of a pickup.  If you remove the snack shelves first the snack will be easier to move that way.  If you lay a soda machine down you will need to stand it upright for a couple of days before you turn it on.  There is always a possibility of a marginal compressor, one that has only 2 of 3 springs supporting the internal rotor, of being damaged further when laying it down, but it's a risk you'll have to take.

Archived