Play Nice or Not?

RikaKazak

So my wife got a call today from a guy that owns a candy store in the mall.  He's the only other guy in my area (about 600K people) that does cotton candy vending like I do.

He called today and asked to speak with me, because he didn't know where to buy the cotton candy sticks (there's only 1 way to get them in America, and they don't advertise very well at all, only way I figured it out was hitting up a person on ebay that was selling a machine).  So I was thinking, should I tell him or not?

I was leaning towards telling him for several reasons:

1.)  It's the nice thing to do (treat others the way you want to be treated)

2.)  Even without my help I highly doubt he'd just "give up" and throw his machine away after investing $9,300 into it.  He will search around and eventually find it...but there is that chance he won't.

3.)  By playing nice, he's less likely to steal from me (all cotton candy machines use the same key, so I can open his, he can open mine...his is in a store with his employees though, mine is left in a movie theater unguarded).

4.)  In the future if I need some help with a machine, he might be willing to help me out.

So...with that said, I usually don't like to help out my competitors, but I really think the correct answer is to help him out.  What would you guys do?

At the end of the day, you need to be able to sleep at night.

There are vendors who would lose sleep helping out this guy.

And there are vendors who would lose sleep not helping out this guy.

So, you can't do what others think is right.

You have to do what YOU and YOUR WIFE think is right.

If down the road you regret helping or not helping this guy out, wouldn't you rather that outcome be the result of you and your wife trusting your own instincts?

So my wife got a call today from a guy that owns a candy store in the mall. He's the only other guy in my area (about 600K people) that does cotton candy vending like I do.

He called today and asked to speak with me, because he didn't know where to buy the cotton candy sticks (there's only 1 way to get them in America, and they don't advertise very well at all, only way I figured it out was hitting up a person on ebay that was selling a machine). So I was thinking, should I tell him or not?

I was leaning towards telling him for several reasons:

1.) It's the nice thing to do (treat others the way you want to be treated)

2.) Even without my help I highly doubt he'd just "give up" and throw his machine away after investing $9,300 into it. He will search around and eventually find it...but there is that chance he won't.

3.) By playing nice, he's less likely to steal from me (all cotton candy machines use the same key, so I can open his, he can open mine...his is in a store with his employees though, mine is left in a movie theater unguarded).

4.) In the future if I need some help with a machine, he might be willing to help me out.

So...with that said, I usually don't like to help out my competitors, but I really think the correct answer is to help him out. What would you guys do?

Help him out. I know operators are scared to work with others but that's dumb. And call LAI for new locks.

First, get your own set of locks and keys.

Second, do what you think works best for you. I will also add that I have always made it a point to at least try to establish relationships with other vendors. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but I have gotten more positives than negatives out of this policy, including some fantastic buying opportunities.

Gold medal products

Cincinnati Ohio.

?

also I second the get our own locks

never use stock locks

they also sell them at sams club per 1000

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/floss-cotton-candy-cones-1-000/143041.ip

Good idea on the locks ;)  Will change them out this month.

Those are cotton candy cones, the machines use cotton candy sticks.  Smart Industries is the only one that currently carries the sticks (it used to be only vendever carried the sticks).

I would provide the guy with the information as you said he will find it eventually and if you don't tell him you just end up looking like a jerk.  On the other hand, most of the operators I know would offer to sell him the sticks after marking them up, of course.

Well I called him and gave him all of the info.  Even offered to loan him a box of sticks at no charge if he doesn't get the shipment in time.  Decided to take Sherlock's advice and just be true to myself.  I'd rather help someone out and have that come back to hurt me, then live with myself and try to be "cut throat" (just not my personality).

Yes, you should help your competition as much as possible. I'd rather have a new best friend anyway, besides, It's only money.

I tried to IM via vendiscuss, but it would not let me. Good to see you on here Glenn. I'll give you a call when I'm back on the road in a few days.

Archived