Vending success!

Toad

Eh, Nevermind. You guys have been treating me this way since our yahoo days when you kicked me out of your GOB club. I guess it'll never change.

I have known this for some time.

I truely wish that your and Mainors vending experience had been better. I had no clue as to what I had or how to really "work it" the first time I was in vending. I sold out after a couple of not so spectacular years.

My second venture has been different. I realized that this business is not about being spectacular but calm, deliberate, well planned growth. Starting from nothing it took me 10 years to hit 600 single head charity stops that did well enough to hire someone. I spent another 10 years learning about and building my rack business. The next 10 years I spent learning about and building my amusement and merchandiser business.

Along the way I have had a lot of people tell me I was doing things wrong. The difference between my first crack at vending and this, the second, was that I learned to listen. I didn't always like what I heard and at first sometimes felt offended. I knew however that the people that were making the big bucks knew things I did not. I was a dummy and my admission (finally) that I was a dummy is the root of my success.

Very well said post Musser! I agree and I have done the same..I have learned to listen and also read all I can. When I first came into this business I thought I just knew everything about it and no way was I not going to be successful. Boy I learned the hard way to listen to the veterans. Now Im growing at a very steady pace..was into singles, than doubles, than racks, than snack/soda, and now cranes! Ive very happy with my business growth and look forward to growing more with your help and others on this board!

I truely wish that your and Mainors vending experience had been better.

Great post indeed with the exception of this one sentence. I'm not sure what you mean by it. My "vending experience" was successful and I was able to do it full time and comfortably support my family in a much shorter timeframe than you outlined above. Selling my business was not a negative for me. I walked away with more than I put into it.

I guess all I can say is that I truly wish "your" vending experience could have been better.

I guess I will throw in my two cents. In my mind there is no doubt that Glenn has been and continues to be successful with his business and that he also is very helpful to other vendors......... at least the ones he wants to help. As a member I can agree with a couple of the previous comments that, yes, sometimes the posts are pretty funny.

However, as a moderator I have to look at the big picture, what do I think is best for the website. With a average of around 150 people a day logging in as well as a couple of hundred more unique visitors that hit the TVF website without logging in we see a tremendous amount of traffic. In order to keep things humming around here Steve has had to increase our bandwidth limits AT LEAST once a year, every year since we started.

Again, the big picture here, with 300-400 visitors a day why do we only see a few dozen members post with any regularity? The only feedback we have EVER gotten from members leaving is that they are sick of the drama and the BS that sometimes goes on, not just with Glen but with other members that are no longer here either, by our decision. Sure sometimes they post something good, but the time and effort on our part to get a few informative worthwhile posts from those that choose to make fun of, demean or attack other members, more often than not is not worth it in our opinion. Thus the application of bans, just a reminder we do this for free and Steve has on a pretty regular basis dug into his pocket to keep the lights on around here when the donations have not covered the expenses.

I know that it sometimes can get tiring to see the same posts over and over again from every newbie that comes along that hasn't bothered to do any reading before starting to ask questions. That is one of the reasons why we created the pro section, to give the experienced members more of a place to hang out and be able to post and discuss things in a more relaxed arena. Remember that there is no requirement for established members to reply to ANY thread on this site, so if you are tired of seeing the same question over and over just ignore it and move on to the next thread.

We moderators want the new members to feel welcome and feel like they can join our community without fear of being made fun of and ridiculed for asking a question that long time members feel is common knowledge. It is vital to the long term success of TVF, if we allow the GOB club to run the show then over time as long term members eventually move on and new members get run off TVF will wither and die.

When we have to make a tough decision it is made while looking at what is best for the long term interest of the whole community that we are a part of here and does not happen without thought, discussion and consensus on the moderating team. It may not be perfect but it has worked well enough to build the largest, most active forum and is without doubt the most comprehensive source of vending information available for free on the internet.

Finally, a big thank you to all the members here that give freely of their time to share information and help other vendors out, both new and experienced, without you we would not have the great discussion forum that we have here. As always, any feedback or suggestions to make this a better experience for EVERYONE is always welcome and will be considered and discussed on the moderating team.

Mission,

Thanks for the enlightening response on behind the scences workings of the forum. I'm curious about participation rates on community based forums in relation to total membership and active participation. There are many personalities in any group. I for one have been a member for quite sometime and have choosen to be a continuing supporter but infreguent contributor. This forum has been a real resource for me, but I find contributing in the forums to be difficult because I think there are many others out there with more cogent and experienced opinions.

Daniel

Great post indeed with the exception of this one sentence. I'm not sure what you mean by it. My "vending experience" was successful and I was able to do it full time and comfortably support my family in a much shorter timeframe than you outlined above. Selling my business was not a negative for me. I walked away with more than I put into it.

I guess all I can say is that I truly wish "your" vending experience could have been better.

"I was so successful at charity vending I quit. I also did it faster than you Larry"

Wow! You made so much money on your charity route you decided to sell your route and quit, impressive! That makes a lot of sense. Larry (and the rest of us) could stand to learn a lot from your wisdom.

I think it's funny too at times. It breaks up the monotony around here. Like the same vendstar questions and candy questions. I hope this is not some sort of Disservice on my part. Lol. Have a good day fellows.

Boy, that "disservice" word I used in another thread really got wedged up your a$$ didn't it?  U mad bro?  Need a hug or something?  If not, let it go.

"I was so successful at charity vending I quit. I also did it faster than you Larry"

Wow! You made so much money on your charity route you decided to sell your route and quit, impressive! That makes a lot of sense. Larry (and the rest of us) could stand to learn a lot from your wisdom.

That's your opinion Glenn and you're welcome to it but I do have to ask, are you of the opinion that everyone who sells a business is a quitter or a failure?

Good Lord alot of animosity around here.

Yes, and it is all the result of the antics of one member. It baffles me that so many people think Glenn is good for this forum when in fact, he is the root of all the negativity around here.

Boy, that "disservice" word I used in another thread really got wedged up your a$$ didn't it? U mad bro? Need a hug or something? If not, let it go.

Naw bro. I don't let Internet chat bother me. I was just poking fun at you. Ha ha

I hope this thread results in at least a few more members realizing what some realized long ago:

That this forum is much friendlier and more positive when certain members choose to stay away.

That's the beauty of letting these bad members have their say...inevitably, they turn more good members against them with every post.

Certainly not on Steve's part, he's been more patient with Glenn than just about any forum owner in history.

Your right about that but, IMO, some of what has been going on has also been self-inflicted by the moderating team, something that we need to work on

Mission,

Thanks for the enlightening response on behind the scences workings of the forum. I'm curious about participation rates on community based forums in relation to total membership and active participation. There are many personalities in any group. I for one have been a member for quite sometime and have choosen to be a continuing supporter but infreguent contributor. This forum has been a real resource for me, but I find contributing in the forums to be difficult because I think there are many others out there with more cogent and experienced opinions.

Daniel

You should not have any fears or reluctance to post. Yes your experience is much less than some of the others but OTOH having a newbie question the status quo is not such a bad thing either. We all can easily lull ourselves into complacency with the day to day of running our businesses and develop tunnel vision about where we are going. If those that have more experience cannot articulate a good response about why things are done the way they are without getting mad or acting like a golpher then maybe they need to rethink why they are doing things that way and maybe its up to them to look at themselves and their business with fresh eyes and look to making the changes needed in themselves and their business to change with the times.

Archived