Okay, have to vent..

MistaFrz

So there was a new nursing home complex that was recently built and I was as far as I know, I was one of the first vendors to solicit the account. I connected with the Director on a personal level and told her that I would take good care of the account and offered some of the best machines that would be suited for the place with credit card readers. Also was negotiable on a commission. We talked multiple times back and forth via email/phone and one of the times I even thought of the idea of placing a customized logo on the machine (this was going to be my biggest account). I was out there in person, saw where she wanted the machines and talked to the person that was directly below her as well. Everything went great, shook hands and said they would want machines within the next month or so.

Well 6 months later after on and off conversations, I got an email from her today saying they went with a different vendor. WTF, OMFG! I replied back and asked her what they had to offer that I didn't as I'm trying to better my company. But seriously, I wanna punch a wall because I feel like I failed.

So there was a new nursing home complex that was recently built and I was as far as I know, I was one of the first vendors to solicit the account. I connected with the Director on a personal level and told her that I would take good care of the account and offered some of the best machines that would be suited for the place with credit card readers. Also was negotiable on a commission. We talked multiple times back and forth via email/phone and one of the times I even thought of the idea of placing a customized logo on the machine (this was going to be my biggest account). I was out there in person, saw where she wanted the machines and talked to the person that was directly below her as well. Everything went great, shook hands and said they would want machines within the next month or so.

Well 6 months later after on and off conversations, I got an email from her today saying they went with a different vendor. WTF, OMFG! I replied back and asked her what they had to offer that I didn't as I'm trying to better my company. But seriously, I wanna punch a wall because I feel like I failed.

[/quote

I feel for you and have a somewhat similar story. About 3 months ago I also was working on a large account that currently didn't have any drink or snack machines. Met with the office manager and discussed the products and specifics, the account was large enough that I wanted to purchase a new machine (approx. $4,600.00). I told her that we would be purchasing a new machine for this account, she was very pleased and asked if I had a contract with me (and of course I did), we filled in all of the blanks and signed the agreement. I ordered the machine, 1 week before it was delivered she called and told me "my general manager wants to bundle the cleaning services with the vending services". Bundle the cleaning services??? I almost threw up, she apologized and apologized but I was so pissed off, being fairly new it was an expensive lesson to learn.

MistaFrz - It could be that they are working with a vending management company or perhaps they have a corporate contract with another vendor in your area.  Other than that, you got hosed on all of your hard work with this location.  This is the way it goes sometimes.  I lost my share of new accounts to both major operators and small mom and pops after making presentations to the management.  A lot of times the vending ends up going to someone that's related in some way to the manager or their underlings.  The only thing you can do is put a smile on your face and in your voice and keep in touch with them, waiting for the vendor to drop the ball.

Paveitall - You were in a perfect position to sue the account due to them having executed a contract with you.  Other than that you also got hosed by a situation you would not have won.  You should also keep in touch with the location as a janitorial company, unless they are subbing out the vending, will fail at either vending or janitorial because you can't be good at both.  Just bide your time and you may still get in the door.  I wouldn't commit to new machines though, because any vendor dealing with them could be short-lived.

MistaFrz - It could be that they are working with a vending management company or perhaps they have a corporate contract with another vendor in your area.  Other than that, you got hosed on all of your hard work with this location.  This is the way it goes sometimes.  I lost my share of new accounts to both major operators and small mom and pops after making presentations to the management.  A lot of times the vending ends up going to someone that's related in some way to the manager or their underlings.  The only thing you can do is put a smile on your face and in your voice and keep in touch with them, waiting for the vendor to drop the ball.

Paveitall - You were in a perfect position to sue the account due to them having executed a contract with you.  Other than that you also got hosed by a situation you would not have won.  You should also keep in touch with the location as a janitorial company, unless they are subbing out the vending, will fail at either vending or janitorial because you can't be good at both.  Just bide your time and you may still get in the door.  I wouldn't commit to new machines though, because any vendor dealing with them could be short-lived.

I was in a position to sue them I agree, but for what? My contract old basically gives the location the ability to get rid of me with a 30 day notice (stupid me). I did press the issue with the manager and he said "fine" place your machine and I will give you a 30 day notice. I sure as hell wasn't going to place the machine knowing I was getting kicked in 30 days. I know buying a new machine was probably aggressive, I was able to place it however in just a couple of weeks. Your right in the respect that I should keep in touch with them, but at this point knowing how un-ethical this company is I'm going to steer away from them. Hopefully the manager will get e coli from a janitor tainted honey bun:)

I've been there. I would still be upset over this but I would get over it within a day. Some businesses just don't care, and their lack of respect for my business leaves me with a lack of respect for theirs.

Last year a customer called and bad mouthed me. He said my driver only put 2-3 items in each slot and the machine was almost empty. He said he had to call three times in the past few months. He demanded my driver service the machine "regularly" and not once a month.

After he was done talking, I informed him that I was the driver and I was going there almost every week if I could find parking. He got more upset and told me to come fill it or pick up my machines at any time. He also complained about stale products.

I went there that day and added about 30 items (the usual) and removed the three bags of chips with a couple days left before they expire. Those thirty pieces easily filled the machine up to par and there were no longer three or four selections sold out on the AP7000.

I made a phone call and had the machines picked up about two weeks later. By the way, those three service calls he mentioned were not true. He called one time six months prior to this, and that was a month after I bought the location from another vendor. Some people are just disrespectful and I certainly wasn't going to keep my machines in a place like that.

I agree with Chris on what I'm reading as the bigger picture.  The people in the account can make all the difference in the world.  I have stuck with some accounts that I should have pulled for too-slow sales just because I liked the people.  Sometimes if you can wait out the slow sales, the account will come around.  Other times they just fade away.

Enen if you had prevailed and placed the equipment this probably would've become one of those accounts that you hate to service. I'm pretty sure everyone here has had at least one of those. It might be the people, the revenue or problematic equipment but if you hate having to service a location odds are that your tenure there will be self limiting.

As frustrating as it might be, it is probably in your long term best interest to not have placed this machine.

It is so much worse if you kick you out after a few week or months.

Six months with no communication is a long time.

Next time try to get a few old machines on location during construction. That way you have your foot in the door and can build a relationship.

It can be hard when life teaches us lessons, sometimes the best we can do is learn and move on.

Walta

I almost get more skeptical of account managers who start to promise me machine placement. start showing me around early on etc. I feel that when it comes to closing the deal it shouldn't really be months of back and fourth, you either want my bloody machines and service, or quit wasting my time. Hunting down the decision makers, and going through the dreaded gate keepers never works very well for me. I like to meet once, then go in for one more meeting and try and close them. If they start with all the excuses and "I need to speak with other people" I tread lightly. In 2014 I am 1-16 in closing, and I am beginning to think that a lot of people meet just to take a break from their jobs, and they are too afraid to change vendors, or like AZ said they are friends with them, relatives, etc. I am changing my approach now, and I will share what works for me! 

I feel for ya though man! 

That is definitely rough.  To combat situations like that I like to place my machines within the week that I speak to people. I sometimes even place my machines the very next day.

Archived