Drink Machine Rattling Noises

I noticed today that my Royal Vendor 804 drink machine is making rattling noises while the door of machine is open when refilling drinks. Once I close the door, the sounds fades away and stops. Sounds as if something may be loose with either compressor or condensor. Thoughts....

I noticed today that my Royal Vendor 804 drink machine is making rattling noises while the door of machine is open when refilling drinks. Once I close the door, the sounds fades away and stops. Sounds as if something may be loose with either compressor or condensor. Thoughts....

It's a fan blade making that noise - either it's bent and hitting something or the bearings are going bad.  You can pull the whole deck in about ten minutes to get a better look.

It may just be a slightly tweaked condenser. Try flexing it a little and see if that works to quiet it down.

It may just be a slightly tweaked condenser. Try flexing it a little and see if that works to quiet it down.

Thanks guys I will check fan blade and condenser. It actually sounded like it was coming from condenser. I took a video of it, but file is to large to post.

Upload the video to youtube then link the video in your post.

Like this:

Yes it sounds like a bad fan blade or the motor is worn out.  If there are no cracks in the vanes of the fan blade then perhaps the motor bearing is worn out.  Because you say the noise stops when the door is closed then check for proper installation and routing of the freon lines into the cabinet.  There should be a metal cover screwed to the tank to protect the lines and prevent them from moving in and out. You will need to pull the cooling unit out to see what's going on.  You might also have part of the evaporator shroud that is loose allowing the fan to hit it.  Another thought too, if there is water in the tank that isn't draining out then it is probably freezing under the evaporator causing the fan blade to hit the ice.  I also see that there is a capillary tube running across the evaporator.  It looks like you have an incorrect thermostat in this.  This machine should use an electronic temp sensor.

If you need any parts for it you can send me a PM.

You might have a dirty selection push button or the switch is loose inside the door.  Check for the loose switch and watch the action of the button when you press it in.  The plunger on the button is what presses the switch actuator.

Based on the sound in the video I would bet its either the condenser fan hitting the shroud

gallery_6992_243_499648.jpg

or the evaporator fan(s) hitting something.

gallery_6992_243_697260.jpg

I am leaning more towards one of the evaporator fan(s) blades (not sure if you have more than one on your vender) being damaged, bent & probably possibly hitting something such as the housing, a cord or something else because you said when you closed the door the sound went away.  This makes me think that sound is not really going away & that its just being muffled when the inner door makes a seal & closes up the cooling compartment & refrigerated space. (think of placing an alarm clock in a cooler its loud until you close the cooler).  You could probably check that out by removing the vend delivery chute

gallery_6992_243_277547.jpg

then removing some sort of evaporator cover thingamajig

gallery_6992_243_311770.jpg

which should allow you to check the evaporator fan(s) which should be visible with the evaporator still in place

gallery_6992_243_351324.jpg

& without needing to pull the entire refrigeration deck. 

If you do need to pull the refrigeration deck here is a video that demonstrates how to do it.

Thankd for the detailed pictures mojorhino. Turns out it is definately the evaporator fan, which is a single fan assembly. Seems as if it is hitting the shroud. I will take shroud off next week to have a closer look since I only had enough time to refill machine today and observe where noise was trluly coming from.

• 1 month later...

A few weeks back I made minor adjustments to fan cover and delivery chute and that seamed to have minimized the noise as temporary fix. Well last night I was able to remove the delivery chute in order to remove the evaporator fan cover to see the evaporator fan. The evaporator fan is definately hitting the left side of the shroud. If you press into the shroud the fan will stop hitting the shroud. So as a temporary fix since the business was about to close, I tied a zip tie to the fan shroud in order move the shroud in some so that the fan will not hit shroud until i am able to go back on monday to fix the problem. I also unplugged the machine until I fix the problem as well. So the question that I have is am I able to adjust the fan shroud? If not what is the bet way to correct this problem?

The second part of this situation is that while i was putting the cover back on the evaporator fan and the delivery Chute back into place, I heard something fall. It was the bottom pieces from the idler bracket assembly. Keep in mind that this is a Royal 804 drink machine with chain assembly. Well the delivery chute must have bumped up against the idler bracket assembly and the shaft sprocket idler, bearing idler assembly, and spring idler came off of the bottom section of the idler bracket. I have the manual that shows how to put pieces back together, but it is there a certain adjustment to the spring that has to be made or does it just go back into,place in one location.

I tried to add pictures of the fan and idler bracket assembly along with pieces to bracket, but I got an error message saying file to large. How can I post these pictures ?

You should check the evaporator fan motor for excess play in the shaft as it might be sliding out farther than normal and allowing the fan blade to touch the shroud.  You might also have a loose fan bracket so check that the single bolt on the top of the bracket is tight.  Does the fan blade look wobbly when it turns?  If so then check for a bend blade or a cracked blade.  If all of that is okay and the zip tie solved the vibration then leave it on and call it fixed.

As to the chain drive idler, you can reassemble it as per the drawing you have and it will work fine.  There is no adjustment, only the tension from the chain that is countered by the spring.  The idler gear just floats in the bracket to provide chain tension.

Thanks for the details AZ. The fan motor spins just fine without any play. It is just nicking one side of the shroud as if shroud is perhaps loose. The zip tie did work with very lil nicking. I think with proper adjustment to shroud, it should work. I will check shroud bolts on Monday. One thing I did notice while getting to the fan, is that the delivery chute, and evaporator coil were missing some of their screw/bolts. I'm curious to see if shroud is missing a screw as well.

I'm glad to here that the idler bracket is easy to reassemble, I was lil nervous once i saw it fell apart.

It sounds like someone with no knowlege of machine has taken it apart in the past.  Definitely check for any missing screws that would be holding the shroud to the cabinet.  Properly secure the evaporator and chute as well and make sure you have the evaporator cover in place, clipped to the ends of the evaporator.  Many times I find that some lazy person has not bothered to secure the evap cover or that the cover is actually missing from the machine.  The parts are there for a reason and some people just don't understand that.

• 8 months later...

The problem has came back with evaporator fan hitting shroud. The zip tie helped out for a while but since problem has came back I am ready to make repair. See link below. Does the fan blade or fan motor need to be replaced. Is it normal for evaporator fan to have that much slack.

Archived